Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WAS top Production run
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mikey914
With the trial run wrapping up this next week we have made some improvements and leared what works and what will not work. We continue to refine the processes and will probably even make more improvements as we continue production.

What is unique about this roof is that it is not just a piece of acrylic that was mounting hardware bonded to it, it actually uses a fiberglass substructure that is very simular to the OEM roofs. It also uses the OEM sytle rubber to seal, so it's much better at keeping water out than the old roofs that were available in the past. I felt that to just immitate a roof that had many problems I should try to make a significant improvements to the product. It also used hardware that is simular to the OEM mounts, except we created a new mechanism that should minimize overtightening. This was a failure mode on the old roofs.

We started the first run of roofs with the idea that we could keep the cost lower, and found that some of the assumptions we made were not quite correct, and wound up using diferent materials and processes. Of course they were more expensive and the times we planned were not even close to what we thought they would be. In reality we only had to increase the GB price by $65.

This roof comes with the rubber and mounting hardware. The mounting hardware will be attached, you will need to install the rubber as there is some variation as to where some need to mount.

I'll PM those that have signed up on the other thread. We will be able to do 2 roofs per week first prouction will be shipping July 11th. 2 per week.

Each roof has a serial number and your choice of shipping crate or Eccorrate.

Sign up here if you're interested. We are looking at a $350 deposit and balance + shipping due when it ships.

Just a heads up the size is 3rd oversize, so shipping I have seen so far is from $110-165.

The boxes run $50 for the laminated cardboard "crate" $85 for the wooden crate.
Mikey914
More
Mikey914
More
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:04 AM) *

More

Count me in!!!!!! piratenanner.gif
I had already sent you PM last month on my interest in this when you are ready , so i am happy to be the first on this thread to confirm that i am still interested and will get you the deposit ASAP-

Phil Wagner
-philipjwagnerdc@gmail.com
843-812-6653
71six
I want into the group buy also w00t.gif I shot a message via the 914 Rubber.com contact link to you earlier today asking how to proceed rolleyes.gif
Look forward to hearing from you.
Mark
StratPlayer
Count me in mikey....... beerchug.gif
Socalandy
I'm still in!!!

Thanks
Mikey914
crate options-
Mikey914
Yes this will have plyood closing it up and screwed on.
Mikey914
Or the Eccorrate
montoya 73 2.0
now you need to make the front two holders in the trunk (white plastic) out of some softer plastic so they won't scratch the top when it gets put away? or am I wrong?

I do believe it wasn't recommended by you to not stow it away but sometimes it could happen.
JeffBowlsby
Mike...can you tantalize us with a few close-up photos of the details...the front edge, the back corner, the underframe and mounts etc...
StratPlayer
Glad I bought some extra sets of those soft rubber roof holders that some member put out a while back, they will come in handy with this new roof..
Mikey914
While the dimmensions are very close, I do not recommend that this should be stored in the trunk. The acrylic can scratch and it's a lot of work to buff it out. I would save the shiping container and make a shrine in my garage to store it. In fact I had one guy mention that he was going to screw the wooden crate to the wall to use as a storage box.
montoya 73 2.0
Ever? Not even for the 15 minute ride back home? poke.gif biggrin.gif

Just giving you shit Mark! You do A great job bringing this stuff to the market!
73Euro911S
Just a thought; maybe installing a high quality clear bra film on the roof might give you peace of mind as far as reducing the chance of scratching it.
jim_hoyland
I stored my Saratoga top in the truck and found that by cutting off the upper lips of the white targa top holder and lining the bottom lip with peel-off felt liner worked good. Then cover the top with a beach towl before closing.

Loser_Cruiser
Two questions: could we do pick up instead of shipping and when would you like to have the group buy wrapped up by. Sorry if these have been answered.
Niklas
Hello Mikey!
Is the rubber on your top the same as the one used on Saratoga top ?
I need the rubber for my Saratoga top that I bougth in germany on Ebay.

Niklas
Mikey914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jul 2 2011, 09:58 AM) *

Hello Mikey!
Is the rubber on your top the same as the one used on Saratoga top ?
I need the rubber for my Saratoga top that I bougth in germany on Ebay.

Niklas

No, it's actually the same as the OEM rubber. Another advantage to using the same shape as the OEM roof, is I allready make the rubber.

Sorry
Mikey914
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ Jul 2 2011, 09:10 AM) *

Two questions: could we do pick up instead of shipping and when would you like to have the group buy wrapped up by. Sorry if these have been answered.

Pick up is fine, it will save a fortune in shipping. the only issue is that with the day job that takes me out of town 4 days a week.

I planned to run the group buy for about a month. I know this is a large purchase, heck right now I'd have to scrape to come up with the coin. I was thinking about trying to get set up with the Bill me later folks to provide a finnancing option, but it may take a bit to get that set up.
Mikey914
QUOTE(73Euro911S @ Jul 1 2011, 09:58 PM) *

Just a thought; maybe installing a high quality clear bra film on the roof might give you peace of mind as far as reducing the chance of scratching it.

I actually thought of this as an option, but the material is expensive, and it adds one more step, and cost that I'm not really getting any break on, so I didn't include. I may look into this if there is enough demand. maybe a DIY "kit" would be the way to go.
Mikey914
Got some bad news on the packaging side. My guy building the wooden crates now wants $85 a crate. I thought $65 WAS an excellent price, $85 a bit steaper, but they are very well made.

-mark
jim_hoyland
Crate arrived today with the WAS top. Nice construction on the crate ! Will open the box tomorrow.
RoadGlue
Nice work Mark!
patssle
Crate arrived today with the WAS top. Nice construction on the crate ! Will open the box tomorrow.

Waiting a day to open the box? That's some self-discipline!
Steve
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 29 2011, 02:49 PM) *

Jim,

you should go to Cars and Coffee tomorrow to show it off. I will try not to drool over it. There's also the 356 car show at Dana Point this Sunday. All Porsche's even NARP's are welcome.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 29 2011, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 29 2011, 02:49 PM) *

Jim,

you should go to Cars and Coffee tomorrow to show it off. I will try not to drool over it. There's also the 356 car show at Dana Point this Sunday. All Porsche's even NARP's are welcome.

Good idea Steve, I was hoping to make it this Sat, but the top will take more time to setup. My thought was to make it the following Sat and give a few others advance notification. I saw the tops at the WCR in Medford, they are really nice and made better.
Steve
Thanks Jim!! I can wait a week. I need to sell the 911 to free up some funds for toys like the was top.
brant
Mine arrived
I can't wait to assemble and put it on the car!

lt looks great!
brant
jim_hoyland
I'm going to be one step behind you, please post comments on the assembly that might be helpful. Pics are always cool... smile.gif
jim_hoyland
Got the crate opened today; this crate is gonna be perfect for storing the top. The padding is perfect. In the box with the top came two front latches, two side targa top rubber seals, and one rear seal. Each top has a serial number: mine is 002

The top feels lighter than I expected even though the side are beefed up.
Mikey914
These actually turned out to be lighter than the OEM version, I was pleasantly suprised. The asswmbly that is required is pretty straight forward.
The rear seal needs to be put in place. The "hook assemblies" screw into the mounts on the roof (by hand). The mouonts have been preinstalled. Set the roof on the car. Hand tighten the "hook assemblies" at the front. Engage the rear latch downs.

This will allow you to mark on the rear seal where to cut and determine the placement of the side seals with your windows. You can mark the side seals to be cut to fit. By having you install the sides, you willl not have to adjust the angle of the window in or out to make it fit, making it ready to go into water as soon as they're on.

As a note from some feed back I have recieved, I've moved the serial numbers to the back of the roof where they are not visable when installed.
jim_hoyland
Mounted the crate to the garage wall for easy storage. Modified the top outer piece with dowl pins to make top removal easier.

Gotta paint the box... smile.gif
montoya 73 2.0
Nice job Jim thumb3d.gif And I will keep my eye out for those frames!
Mikey914
Nice job Jim!
You may want a protective layer on the outside if you leave it open, but hinges will fix that. Maybe rip the top in half and make it like a short cabnet?
jim_hoyland
Finished mounting and painting the shipping crate for WAS top storage as well as my regular top.
jim_hoyland
Couple of pics showing the stock top and WAS top fitment against the targa top seal, a really nice fit. Still have to mount the targa side seals...
Cevan
I think I want one of those. That'd be great in the spring and fall months.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 30 2011, 01:33 PM) *

These actually turned out to be lighter than the OEM version, I was pleasantly suprised.

WHAT?!?!?!?!
You said it was going to be heavier, which allowed me to remove the item from my 914 dream budget. Now that it is another weight saving upgrade to my 914 'cafe racer' I must have one. Damn you!! I can not afford this!!
beerchug.gif
The one I saw at McMark's shop looked awesome.
kerensky
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 30 2011, 12:33 PM) *
As a note from some feed back I have recieved, I've moved the serial numbers to the back of the roof where they are not visable when installed.
I'd have thought a nice engraved gold plate with the new owner's name and the car's VIN along with the top serial number, prominently and centrally displayed, would've been more appropriate for this kind of purchase. biggrin.gif

No, seriously, I'm amazed from the pics of this top and that you can produce and sell it at this price. Ain't no way I can make it into the group buy right now, but I *will* be a future customer.
StratPlayer
Very nice, are all the roofs going to have to put on the top to window seals?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(StratPlayer @ Aug 22 2011, 07:02 PM) *

Very nice, are all the roofs going to have to put on the top to window seals?

I think so. The outer edge is very similar to the edge of the stock top; a flat area with sufficient room to stick on the top-to-window seal. I've yet to install them, as I have to re-install the targa top front seal.
Mikey914
Yes the rear and side seals are an install that is done on your car. There is some variation between years and even car to car. The factory used chrome strips to hold the seals on. I have provided these with 3M HT 2 sided waterproof tape that will make them very easy to install.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.