Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 914 owner with a question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dltalfa
Hey Guys!!! I'm a brand new 914 owner. I have been a car enthuisist for many years, but this is my first Porsche of any kind.

I already have a problem / question.

I bought this car two weeks ago. Due to limited garage space, it was left parked in my driveway while the family and I went on vacation last week.

When I returned home today, the entire interior is covered with mold and mildew, especially the carpet. I mean it was almost completely white with fuzzy mold.

My neighbor told me it rained almost every day while I was gone,..but there is NO water in the car,..just mold and mildew.

First,..is this a common issue with these cars?
Second,..how can I best clean this mess up?
windforfun
welcome.png

Dry it out & clean it up. Carpet cleaner. Vacuum cleaner. Wipe down all the vinyl. Rag with warm water. Elbow grease.

Are the forward engine wells full of water?
SirAndy
QUOTE(dltalfa @ Jul 1 2011, 04:02 PM) *
First,..is this a common issue with these cars?

Yes. After 40 years, most cars need replacement of the weatherstripping. Fortunately, almost all of the needed pieces are available as aftermarket reproduction items.

Mikey914 is a member here and a vendor for almost all your rubber needs:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=91029

http://www.914rubber.com/

bye1.gif

PS: welcome.png
dltalfa
QUOTE(windforfun @ Jul 1 2011, 06:11 PM) *

welcome.png

Dry it out & clean it up. Carpet cleaner. Vacuum cleaner. Wipe down all the vinyl. Rag with warm water. Elbow grease.

Are the forward engine wells full of water?

I cant see any standing water in the engine area. What else could have caused this? It seems to be worse toward the front of the car,...on the toe board area.
VaccaRabite
This happens.
I once had to let my car sit outside for 2 weeks - just happened to be 2 weeks of huge rain, hail, ad tornadoes (and I live on the east coast, not tornado country). The car has new weatherstripping, and had an umbrella cover strapped down tight and STILL had a damp interior and mold on the carpet when I opened it up.

The moisture gets in somehow, but I don't know how. it was not through the cabin or engine bay. Has to be the front trunk somehow, but I don't know how.

Was not a happy man.
Zach
Tom_T
agree.gif

The milder the cleaner you use, generally the better off you'll be & least damage to +/- 35 year old carpets & upholstery, but the advice above for cleaning is good.

Also, pull up carpets & see if you have any floor pan holing from rust. Also check the seals at the rear window (if it rattles, bad seal), at windshield surround & side windows, targa top.

Before you do all that, clear out the garage & get 'er in there before the sky parts again down in 'Bama! blink.gif

welcome.png
KELTY360
How was the car stored before you bought it? If stored outside, it may have previously been moldy but cleaned up for sale and residual spores had a chance to regenerate. confused24.gif

Gint
Dude, I've been to Alabama... a week in late June the sun, rain and humidity would wet anything whether the top leaked or not.

But hose old seals do leak. Mold sucks.
SirAndy
Also, if the drains for the fresh air fan are clogged with leaves and such, rain water can build up and eventually leak into the cabin through the fresh air vents under the dash ...

shades.gif
Jesse
welcome.png

I agree the targa seal ang the rear window will let in a whole lot of water.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 1 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Also, if the drains for the fresh air fan are clogged with leaves and such, rain water can build up and eventually leak into the cabin through the fresh air vents under the dash ...

shades.gif

agree.gif

welcome.png

I can't believe I'm going to be the first to say;
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
larss
I had water on the floor under both seats every time I washed my car, looked for leaks around the door and targa seals but they were fine.
Found the leaks at last below the rear window, not the window butyle/silicone seal surrounding the window but the wery corner on both sides of the engine lid where the two small fixed sheet metal pieces meets the window. There was some gap there on both sides where the sheet metal on both sides of the lid meets the rear firewall. Had to remove the window to engine lid seal to see it.
Theese corners seems to be the lowest point for this area so water will collect there by itself.

/Lars S
Drums66
......Welcome to the world...it will clean up!
bye1.gif flag.gif
RFoulds
If it leaked that much, it was leaking for a long time before you bought it and yes, the mold and mildew are not new.

First, get the car inside. I don't care what you have to move outside, get the 914 in the garage!

Next, remove everything from both trunks. Dry up any standing water and look for rust areas.

Open engine lids and clean out every bit of debris you can find down next to the engine.

Next, remove seats and carpet from interior. Same thing here, dry up any standing water and look for rust areas.

Leave it opened up with a fan circulating air through the garage area for a day or so to dry it up completely.

Once you have done that, start replacing every seal, and make a list of your rust repair.

Clean and dry every item you removed, and start putting things back.

Thats "old car lesson 1"

Jeffs9146
To control the mold I buy bathroom mold and stain remover! Not only will it remove whats there but it will help keep more from growing!
Jeffs9146
To control the mold I buy bathroom mold and stain remover! Not only will it remove whats there but it will help keep more from growing!
RFoulds
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Jul 12 2011, 02:27 PM) *

thats just a bleach solution. be careful with that on your carpets. Once the car is dry, and you keep it dry, no more mildew.
underthetire
Yep, they almost all leak. Horizontal targa seals will leak like that, run down the inside of the window, swell up your otherwise good door panels, drain in to the carpet. Be prepared for 500+ to re-seal the cabin. There are a lot of seals, and even from 914 rubber, they add up.
76-914
If your going to clean it, do it outside. Don't bring the mold inside. Next, park your car in the same spot or incline as before. If the ass end was higher then lay the water to it and saturate it around the rear window. Go into the cabin, pull back the carpet from the back pad and check for water. None. Then spray some water under the top rear where the fiberglass top and gasket meet. If the ass end was high and it was raining sideways (which is always) then it would leak in. Moving forward and regardless of inclination, hose the windows. I'll bet you my ass in Hell you just found some if not previously. Finally let the hose run on the top front seal then move it slowly arounf the windshield. The lower part of the windshield and trunk seals are leak culprits. If you get that thing water tight can we take pictures? happy11.gif
Bazza
Also just the fact that the humidity is so aggressive in the south.....aside from the old seals.....you're going to run into this - and especially after so much rain.

I also think the mold and mildew was there when you purchased the car.

Some great info was provided here on how to address your problem.

Welcome to the forum and keep us posted - pics are always appreciated. beer3.gif
Drums66
....... idea.gif Remember a good disinfectant(lysol),when it is dry!
on seats,& carpet idea.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.