Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just Inherited My Grandpa's 1970's Porsche 914 HELP ME! Pi
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
franco858
Hello and thank you for looking at my post. I just inherited my grandpa's 1970's Porsche 914 and am trying to get an idea on it's value and I also have some questions. I've included some pictures so all of you experts can share your knowledge. I was told by my grandfather that this is a 1972 model, however, after researching paint colors from that year I could not find this particular color. With that said, my questions are below and I would grealty appreciate and and all feedback. Thanks!

1. What year is this car
2. What is it's approximate value

More imporant info:

1. This car has been stored in California since day 1, thus theres no rust underneath the car

2. The odometer reads 54K and so I am assuming the car has 154k miles on it

3. I was told that the engine was completely rebuilt about 5-7 years ago

If there's any important info I've left out, please let me know and I will try and get it to you guys. Thanks again!

-Franco

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
franco858
More pictures

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gint
It's a 72 That preceding 472 in the VIN (stamped on that tag in the front trunk from your last pic) indicates the year.
KELTY360
Looks like a '72 to me. Movable passenger seat and no bumper tits + body colored bumper points in that direction. What is the VIN, it would be on the driver's door jamb and the driver's side windshield pillar.

welcome.png
franco858
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:45 PM) *

Looks like a '72 to me. Movable passenger seat and no bumper tits + body colored bumper points in that direction. What is the VIN, it would be on the driver's door jamb and the driver's side windshield pillar.

welcome.png

Thanks for such quick replies! Any ballpark figure on value or the best avenue (no car pun intended) to sell it? Thanks!
Tom_T
welcome.png

First thing, take some pix of the VIN sticker on the rear driver's door jamb & the Karmann Plate on the front door jamb on that side (latter has the paint code stamped into in lower box & chassis # in top box which can be decoded to a build date), & the chassis # is also stamped into the rear of the rear trunk on the passenger side. Also check the VIN at the tag next to the driver side A-pillar, on the plate on the inside of the passenger headlight box & stamped on top of the pass. wheel housing (latter 2 are in the front trunk).

From the plate on the headlight box which you just posted - it's a 1972 - not a 1970 as in your topic title, which would have the 1.7L 4 cyl. motor.

Your Grandpa could've had it repainted that color, or could've ordered it new in a special order color (if paint code 98 or 99 at Karmann Plate). Changing 914 colors was a fashion statement in your grandpa's & my day! biggrin.gif

With those ID numbers we can determine the original color of your grandpa's 914, as well as it's model year - then onto value ....

Here are 2 online sources you can look up for a general range of values:
http://www.excellence-mag.com/resources/bu...guide/856880138

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/
... enter your zip code & make/model/year info & it will give you pricing that the dealers use to determine trade-in value or sale price.

Welcome to the fun! driving.gif

PS - better try driving it on some fun twisty roads - maybe over to Santa Cruz the back way - before you decide to sell it! shades.gif
It may just be too much fun for you Franco! w00t.gif driving.gif w00t.gif
franco858
IPB Image

IPB Image
KELTY360
Tom, he indicated it was a 1970's Porsche in the title; not 1970 MY.
Tom_T
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 1 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Tom, he indicated it was a 1970's Porsche in the title; not 1970 MY.

Thanx Marc .....

.... damn [my] eyes! blink.gif ... to borrow from Young Frankenstein! ... that's Fraanken-steen! biggrin.gif
franco858
Thanks! Keep the info coming smile.gif Is this a Targa 1.7 or 2.0?

On a side note, I love the 70's style!!

I will get pics of all the #'s suggested above. Looking at the websites provided it looks like the value can range from $7,000-$11,000. Does that sound right?
hydroliftin
Franco,

As to the value of the car, the market for these cars is pretty soft right now. It could bring anywhere from $2,000 to $5,000 depending on physical and mechanical condition. You can get an idea of what people are asking on Craig's List. If it is running okay the best payback you can get is to keep it and drive it. There are a lot of folks here in the Bay Area who are in various states of restoring or maintaining these cars. Bring it by for one of the 914 breakfasts and we can fill you in on the joys and challenges of owning a 914.
rohar
All 914s are targas. That's the roof configuration (removable hard top). Hard to tell the engine without the full vin.
Tom_T
PS Franco - although they weren't offered on the 1972 MY 914s, those alloy wheels are worth $500-1000 alone - depending upon condition & if 4 or 5 (spare too) in the set, assuming they're the real Fuchs & not repro. So add that to whatever your price you get in the references I gave you (their prices probably wouldn't consider alloy wheels at all, not even the Pedrinis offer for 72's).
hydroliftin
QUOTE(franco858 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:02 PM) *

I will get pics of all the #'s suggested above. Looking at the websites provided it looks like the value can range from $7,000-$11,000. Does that sound right?

One of the members recently purchased, I think it was a '74 2 litre, for $11,000. It looked like it had just driven off the show room floor. It was like new. So, yes some 4 cylinder 914's can bring $11,000 but they are in very very good condition.
Tom_T
QUOTE(franco858 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:02 PM) *

As noted above - all 914s started as Targas, but some have done mods - including some whacked off convertables, etc.! huh.gif

2.0 didn't come out until 1973 model year, so yours wouldn't be 2.0L unless your Grandpa changed the engine out for a 2.0 or did a 1.7 big bore when it was rebuilt a few years ago. A more common up-build for a 1.7 would be to 1911 cc - so check his paperwork from the shop to see what they did. BTW - the 70-72 1.7s were almost as powerful as the later smogged-up 75-76 2.0s, at 80 vs 88 HP respectively.

The NADA Classic Cars one will give you a better picture, and your Grandpa's wouldn't be at the upper end, cuz those are pretty perfect to fetch $11k for a 72 1.7 like yours.

As we've said - drive it a bit first, you just might like it - ALOT! piratenanner.gif

Get some of the Bay Area 914 folks to help you go over the car for rust & any other issues, as there are a bunch of "Teeners" in your area.
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

Here are some great 914 info websites (in addition to here & the 914 info button at the top of this page) -
p914.com
http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ (Jeff Bowlsby is across the Bay & inland)

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
hot_shoe914
2.0 didn't come out until 1973 model year,

Actually the 2.0 was out in 1970, it just happened to have a couple of extra cylinders. poke.gif lol-2.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 1 2011, 05:41 PM) *

2.0 didn't come out until 1973 model year,

Actually the 2.0 was out in 1970, it just happened to have a couple of extra cylinders. poke.gif lol-2.gif

agree.gif .... but not usually referred to as the 914 2.0 ! biggrin.gif poke.gif

Franco - this 72 FS on Craig's List just popped up on 914club in your area for $11k. You could go see it, request pix, etc. to compare to yours & track whether he gets $11k or less. Seller may even tell you & work with you, if you tell him that you're trying to figure out what your Grandpa's 914 is worth.

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=275344
franco858
Thanks for all the info guys! Here are some new pics of #'s I was actually able to find on the vehicle.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
SirAndy
QUOTE(franco858 @ Jul 1 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Thanks for all the info guys! Here are some new pics of #'s I was actually able to find on the vehicle.

L96D, originally silver metallic. I knew it didn't look like a stock 914 color. I can see overspray too. Repaints are usually less desirable.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

Without having seen the car in person, if it's running OK and everything checks out, i'd say it may be in the $5k range.

shades.gif
ellisor3
L96D would make it originally Silver Metallic
The Vin would make it a relatively early 72 and probably a 1.7
franco858
Wow, you guys are amazing!
markb
QUOTE(franco858 @ Jul 1 2011, 07:27 PM) *

Wow, you guys are amazing!

Nah, we're just obsessed. biggrin.gif

welcome.png

914's. An addiction. There is no cure.
messix
your granddad didn't leave you a car.... it's a life style. welcome.png

drive it and you'll be hooked driving.gif
nsr-jamie
I hope you wouldn't sell it...they are lots of fun and not too expensive to keep and also it was your Grandfathers, think of the memories.
montoya 73 2.0
That color reminds me of a Sea Foam Green.

Is the break down as follows?

Chassis number Break down;
02 = Week of the Year
3 = Day of Week
9 = Karmann Factory at Osnabrueck
506 = Car off the line

Cars Birthday is Wednesday January 5th, 1972 (6th off the line!)

914four
I feel sure that your grandfather would have wanted you to drive the (hell out of the) car and not sell it.

Learn and enjoy the 914! There is nothing else like it.
championgt1
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ Jul 1 2011, 10:09 PM) *

That color reminds me of a Sea Foam Green.

agree.gif VW Beetle color?
montoya 73 2.0
Thats a misconception. VW never had a Sea Foam Green.
franco858
Hey guys, just wanted to inform the community that I am officially selling this car and am open to ALL cash offers. Family issues are requiring money and thus the reason for the sale. If any of you guys know someone who may be interested, please spread the word. I live in the Bay Area and am available to show the car. Please email me at sdfranco84@hotmail.com and we can exchange information. Thanks!

-Franco
montoya 73 2.0
How much are you asking for it?
franco858
Hi Montoya, I dont have a set price in mind. I'm open to taking offers at this time and already have a few members contacting me about seeing it. Feel free to contact me if interested, thanks!

-Franco
vwsamba
if you NEED to sell it and want to know what its worth put it up on ebay with no reserve...simple beerchug.gif

P.S do you know why it has the new style licence plates on it? sad.gif
franco858
lol I love ebay but I never seem to have good luck when I sell. As for the new plates, not sure why they're more recent as opposed to the vintage ones. I know my grandpa was the second owner, maybe he got them changed when became the owner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.