Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
At Medford I ripped the sport mount right out of it's housing on my last autox run.

Lucky for me Mark spied it, borrow one (Thanks again to a Great 914 owner) and installed it so we could run the enduro.

Anyway, decided to put in the stock rear mounts today.

What I discovered is that someone had changed the engine bar, shaving off an inch of the end mount, that the M10 bolt goes through, so that a sport mount could be used.

So if you used the solid mount there was an inch gap between the U channel (solid mount) and the mount bar.

I know, you could use washers and or machine a spacer, but neither of those were on the agenda for today. Although I did get close when my local hardware had, believe it or not, a metric M10 1.5 threaded spacer that was an inch long. My M10 bolts were not threaded all the way so this wouldn't work and I didn't want to wait to buy new bolts from McMaster Carr.

So decided to re-install new sport mounts, which I had just bought, but what bothered me was the steel sleeve through the rubber donut was bigger than my M10 bolt. This slop undoubtably didn't help shifting.

So back to the hardware store to check for something that could work as a sleeve. Well I asked the guy behind the counter and he said he'd just got in some metal sleeves and showed them to me.

One fit the M10 bolt tight and looked to be about the right length and thickness to fit inside the metal sleeve on the sport mount.

So bought two sleeves and went home. Sometimes you just get lucky - they fit just about perfectly and were even the right length.

So I just JB welded them into the sport mounts and bolted everything back up, this time using the right concave washers on the top and bottom. (Thanks again Mark).

I think part of the problem with my old mounting, other than not having the washers, which was a BIG problem in itself, was that the M 10 bolt had about an 1/8 of an inch slop going through the sport mount.

In any event I think the car is going to shift better now.

Man, sometimes you just get lucky.

Old destroyed mount
Click to view attachment

Nice new sport mount with correct washers
Click to view attachment

SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 1 2011, 07:40 PM) *
So decided to re-install new sport mounts

What am i missing here? confused24.gif

The side-shifter 901 does not have any rubber on the outside mounts. They use solid steel brackets.

Why would you use any sort of rubber mount there instead of the stock solid mounts?
I'm confused ...
unsure.gif
rohar
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 3 2011, 01:18 PM) *

The side-shifter 901 does not have any rubber on the outside mounts. They use solid steel brackets.

Why would you use any sort of rubber mount there instead of the stock solid mounts?
I'm confused ...
unsure.gif

If this is a WC conversion car, it makes perfect sense. Much easier to run rubber on the outside and fabricate everything inbetween of steel. If it's not, I have no clue.
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 3 2011, 01:18 PM) *

I'm confused ...
unsure.gif

I don't have a clue when the rubber (turbo) mounts were installed, but they are there.

Wanted to convert back to the solid mounts, but will first have to install an inch spacer to cover the gap that was cut out of the bar. Normally the end bit is 2 1/4" high or deep, i.e., the part the bolt goes through. Without the full 2 1/4inches the bar will hit the metal framework.

Mine is 1 1/4 inches.

And my engine bar is heavily modified for the external oiling system, so it would be difficult to change that.

No, I have the spacers, just need fully threaded bolts so they can be screwed on.
Borderline
You don't need or want threaded spacers. Just drill them out to clear the bolt and you're done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.