Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Black 914 V/8 in the area FS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TJB/914
Found this custom body 914 with a V/8 for sale in the neighborhood. Really nice custom Hot Rod 914 with a complete steel tubular frame. Someone spent over $65k to build and now for sale @ $15,500 OBO. I don't have any interest in the car, but if someone is interested the owners phone # (248) 348-8860 in Wixom, MI ask for Mark. The build sheet was over (2) pages long with some really good stuff in the car. I was impressed with the stiffening running through the lower rocker panels.
Some one did a lot of work on the car, but it has issues like all custom built cars.

I invited the owner to our Aug 7th. Mid-West meet & if the car is not sold it might be at our meet. I will keep after the owner to attend.

I took lots of pictures of the car. I have no connection to the owner so call him if you are interested. I would guess it could be purchased for about $10K.
Tom
TJB/914
Pic #2
TJB/914
Pic #3
TJB/914
Pic #4
redshift
Rayco...

GOD I HATE THAT DAMNED SAIL THINGY JEEESUS CRIPEEES I AM... nebbermin'..

heh

M
FriarJohn
Rayco "phase 2." IIRC, Phase 1 was the slant-nose 916, the Phase 2 was made to look like the 944 nose, and the Phase 3 was something in between. Then much later but still many years ago they came out with their boxter/911 knockoff.

IIRC.

John
P.S. Rayco was/is just fiberglass body components - no steel frame that I am aware of.
aircooledboy
Hmmmmm, pretty timely. idea.gif

I know you are not the owner tom, but what "issues" are you aware of?

Thanks,

Chris
neo914-6
The Rayco was an attempt to improve the 914 styling but lacked any of the original character. appeal will be limited to the personal preference to these kits.
What was the bulk of the $65k, labor? Do you have the build sheet? If someone can get it for $10k, it is a bargain.
Felix
vortrex
oh my god I cannot believe there is a 914 in wixom of all places. I guess it makes sense that it looks like this. biggrin.gif
TJB/914
Chris (Air cooledboy)
In answer to your inquiry about issues. First I want to say it's ugly & not my idea of a ride, but someone will get lots of enjoyment for the buck. If it was a stock body I would buy it. The owner bought it at an estate sale (5) yrs ago in Brighton, MI. & it has been driven only a few times. The paint is a 20 footer, up close you will find stone chips and a few fiberglass cracks (cosmetic only). The body however is arrow straight. He said it has 600hp, but I would estimate it @ about 400hp. Lots of good stuff, roller cam, balanced, blue printyed, etc. w/Holly dbl. pumper (engine sounded good). 911 5-speed lilmited slip, 10"x16 rears & 8"x16 fuchs, everything on the build sheet is the best available. Now here is the way I see issues. You have to buy at the right price & spend a few bucks fixing to your taste. Hey it's a V/8 car with lots of bang for the $$$
Tom
aircooledboy
KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

Damn you Tom. Damn you.
Damn you Rich with your freakin Alien, Damn you John with your smokin' black 8 on this thread, Damn you Chris and your G** damn Yikesmobile. I blame all of you for this. mad.gif alfred.gif

I saw that damn Alien and I thought "Ya know, maybe it IS possible to have a MAJOR HP 914 and not have it be some cobbled together piece of crap with all the manners of a pissed off house cat". Then I see more and more Ultra nice 8 conversions like John's, and Chris's and I think "Hey, maybe they don't even have to be a well done but hard to come by one of a kind". idea.gif Now I 'm starting to really want one. Then they talk about how carefully the engines were thought out to make them a good fit with their car, and I think to myself "ok, now look for a car that has much more than a generic 8 in it". <_< Then, Tom tells us about this car with its ass kickin motor/ trans set up, and now I am SERIOUSLY considering driving 8 hours to look at a car that is gonna cost 12K I don't really have laying around right now, when EVEN I THINK IT IS AT LEAST A LITTLE UGLY!!!!!!! headbang.gif

But I really, really think I want it happy11.gif aktion035.gif w00t.gif
TJB/914
Chris

Offer $8k and plan to spend $2K to remove the sail panels & a new trunk. The car would look a little acceptable then.

Tom
Chris H.
I like the roll cage. Not too obtrusive, but I bet it adds some rigidity. How was that tied in? With 400+ hp you might need it.

It's sure different, but I don't think it's THAT ugly. As Tom said I bet it needs to be sorted, but they all do.

PS, The Yikesmobile is not mine, but I would love to be able to say I owned it. It belongs to Rich Brennick. I just slapped up some photos of it for your viewing pleasure. If you need a push to get over the top on this whole V-8 idea I have more somewhere...muhahahahahahahahahahaha! biggrin.gif
Rusty
Uhhhh.. wacko.gif

If you want a water cooled car with that front appearance... save 6,000 dollars and find yourself an early 944.

-Rusty smoke.gif
TJB/914
Rusty & Chris,
You are starting to worry me Chris, the car is worth the sum of it's parts only. I believe there's only (1) out of (100) 914ers willing to buy this car when you sell. Remember this is not a touring car, it's close to a race car for short trips around town. If your really interested you need to take it out for an hour to check how it handles on the street & is this really the V/8 power you want. A detuned V/8 while not as fast is a better street car.
Rusty,
I was impressed with the stiffening, it had two tube rails. One was tucked up along the bottom longs & the other you see running along the top rail (see pic of interior). Sort of like a dragster tube rails.

Just my 2-cents worth. I don't want the emotional V/8 fevor to make you do something without common sense. This car will not sell fast & has to be bought right. If it was only a stock body!!!!!!
Tom
aircooledboy
You are starting to worry me Chris

Funny, my wife says the same thing at least once a day. lol2.gif

Ok, it's morning now, and my blood alcohol content is much lower now. laugh.gif But I am still interested in this car.

Tom, I have never even driven an 8 conversion. You mention some things that I would never have thought about. Forgive me for being so obtuse (huh huh, I said "obtuse"), but what do you mean by:
Remember this is not a touring car, it's close to a race car for short trips around town. If your really interested you need to take it out for an hour to check how it handles on the street & is this really the V/8 power you want. A detuned V/8 while not as fast is a better street car

Tom, have you driven this mutant? I am interested in both Tom and anybodys elaboration on Tom's caution here.

Thanks again

Chris
Brad Roberts
It appears to be a well sorted ride.

I dont really think this applies but I'll go with it:

with a complete steel tubular frame

From what I see it ads almost no safety or stregth.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.