Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cleaned up driver side door lock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I got tired of not being able to lock the car with the key without worrying I'd break off the key in the lock. Cleaned it up and lubed it and now it locks and un-locks "like butta". Does anyone actually use carb cleaner to clean carbs with? I'll do the other side tomorrow.
RFoulds
Geez, that was a mess. how did it get that bad??? What is the source of the gunk??

Love carb cleaner. that and mineral spirits and can pretty much clean anything.
reharvey
Looks like some sort of undercoating. I had this time problem with two of my cars that were Zebarted when new. Had to remove the latch and soak it in solvent overnight to get all of it off. Ray
pete000
I just went through this on mine, nice to have working door locks!

Mine was so gunky the previous owner snapped off the square cam in the lock cyliner !

Fixed that too.
hartpenn
Thanks so much for the post. Was able to get to the root of my sticky door lock with this post. Before it took brute strength just to lift the door lock from the inside, forget about the key lock. I used the suggested carb cleaner and now both inside door and key lock work like a champ. 914world really rocks!!!
76-914
poke.gif What the Hell is a "dey"? And is it pronounced "dee" or "day"? happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 20 2012, 08:31 AM) *

poke.gif What the Hell is a "dey"? And is it pronounced "dee" or "day"? happy11.gif

The "dey" is used to unlock the "koor" ya dope. av-943.gif
76-914
Good one. av-943.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.