Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: found a old pic of my super beetle!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
i was digging through some old photos and found a picture of my '74 super beetle (1303 S) ...

as you can see, it wasn't quite stock. wink.gif

2.0L T4 with 100HP
front mounted oil cooler
heavy duty VW-Transporter shocks in the rear, stiffer spings in the front, 100lbs lead weight mounted in the front trunk smile.gif
8" x 15 with 245 tires in the front
9" x 15 with 285 tires in the back
front spoiler, rear 911 wing, (steel) flared fenders ...
tinted glass all around, recaro seats, roll cage, momo steering wheel, elec. 911 style mirrors and a bunch more i can't remember.

i miss that car, that was a fun ride!
driving.gif Andy
Jeroen
Cool!

Speaking of old projects... Here's a pic of my old VW Scirocco II
(well, not my actual car, but mine looked pretty much the same, except for some minor details)
285/45/15 rear tires on 10" wide wheels biggrin.gif

It was nothing wild, more show than go, but I build it all myself (took me 9 months to do the bodykit)
If I say it was a lot of sanding, then it would be a HUGE understatement biggrin.gif
The car was painted black before it got it's final yellow paint, just to check the surface of the body and if all the edges and lines were straight (dark colors always show that better)
The bodyshop that painted it couldn't believe I (a first time amateur) did it

When the car was finished I even got compliments on it from shops that profesionally did these body conversions and they admitted mine looked better than some of theirs biggrin.gif

Had a lot of fun with the car, but it also was an eye opener for me.
Performance is more fun than good looks... That's when I got me a Porsche biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Jeroen
forgot the pic headbang.gif
Mark Henry
An old pic of me, my '76 westy, '67 bug and the trailer I built. The bug had a 120hp 2007cc T1.
I miss the westy, still have the bug but it's for sale (I'm keeping the engine) soon all I'll have from this pic is the trailer.
Katmanken
Had a 73 Superbeetle for 25 years.

Best and most reliable car I ever had. Cost $2525 tax tag and title drive off the lot with a bunch of options. First problem (besides a generator) was a broken exhaust valve (#3) at 190,000 while doing 75 on the beltway. Did one of my famous rebuilds and got to 250,000 miles before the new exhaust valve began to stretch.

Handled like a pig. Onliest thing that helped was putting the 914 rims on the back with 205/75/15's.

All out, with me pulling every trick in the book, it would go through the twisties at 35 on the way to work.

My Vanagon does it at the same speed with a lot less effort.

Now my 67 Karmann Ghia convertible with the monster engine, that was a real car......

Ken
grantsfo
Looks like a nice Bug!

When my freinds were into Bugs and Ghias I was driving one of these little rear engine sceamers. While my car wasnt nearly as well sorted or as fast as these examples you will get a sense of why IMPs were considered a "poor mans" Porsche. My IMP Sport was faster than my freinds 1600 cc dual carbed Ghia and handled better too. And the Coventry Climax engine just reved and reved it was like the VTec of the late sixties. Bigest problem was finding gears - especially second.

Mine was same color green as the picture below minus stripes and roll cage.

IPB Image

IMP race car video

Fast IMP Video
Trekkor
Here's my pacifier until I could get back into a 914!
1776cc duel Solex, Engle 120, header
205/50/15 Goodyear Eagles on Empi 8 spoke.

beer.gif Double cappucinos for who's on-line
Trekkor
Dug out some oldies
krankendorf
Here is my old 66 VW double door panel bus which I still have.I hope my 71 914 turns out this nice.

Steve in Ohio
URY914
As long as we're sharing, here's my '67 Deluxe.
URY914
My first car was a '70 Bug. It was pale yellow. I called it the Pale Snall.

BTW the above picture is about 14 years old. sad.gif

Paul
smg914
Sweet looking bus Paul. I see that you haven't changed much in the last 25 years or so.

I've owned 9 VW's over the years including 2 light blue '67 beetles and a 'green 71 ghia with a black vinyl top. Currently my wife drives a silver 2000 beetle.
URY914
They guy across the street has a nice '67 Ghia. Looks good as it drives by. But I looked at it close and its rusted real nice. Fenders/rockers etc. Too bad.

Paul
neo914-6
I miss my first sports car, 72 Opel GT. Painted it Porsche Caribe Blue, installed air dam, amp'd stereo, and mag wheels.
My non-running 914 behind it was my 20 year project...I never had a ride in a non-V8 914 until the WCC xcross.
Mark Henry
Those split window busses make me drool....

Maybe someday I'll get my 67 bus finished. smash.gif
machina
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 19 2004, 10:10 PM)
An old pic of me, my '76 westy, '67 bug and the trailer I built. The bug had a 120hp 2007cc T1.
I miss the westy, still have the bug but it's for sale (I'm keeping the engine) soon all I'll have from this pic is the trailer.

hey mark,

that rig is beautiful with the trailer and all.

looks like one of those car model sets I used to see in the store as a kid.

dr
TROJANMAN
first car was an '81 scirocco in '88. 1st choice was a 914, but parents insisted on a 4 person vehicle. they didn't realize then that 4 people get into more trouble than 2. biggrin.gif
kafermeister
Excelent thread Andy. Thanks for starting it. This just goes to show that alot of folks got the aircooled sickness from VWs.

Here's mine. I've had this car since about 1988 or so. Took it apart (body off frame) arround 1997 to fix a *little* rust. Just put the body back on the frame arround Jan of 04 and put an engine in it first week of April 04.

...and I'm still not done. Now I need to paint the outside.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Jun 21 2004, 04:33 AM)
hey mark,
that rig is beautiful with the trailer and all.

looks like one of those car model sets I used to see in the store as a kid.

dr

Thanks David

We did have fun with that set-up, won a couple of bug shows and traveled all over Canada and the US in the westy smilie_pokal.gif

We're going for a similar theme on my new rig, I have a '67 Kombi and a '67 empi bug in the works. If I sell my old '67 I should have enough to finish both cars,

Hey kafermeister, love the sprint stars! I have a set on my 914! Look at page one of my Members cars (nailed) thread. I also have 10 more sprint stars kicking around here somewhere. biggrin.gif
kafermeister
Thanks Mark. I remember your Sprint Stars from that thread. Yours are some unusual offset IIRC.

I love the bus. You got pics of the '67 you're going to put all the Empi stuff on?

Oh, I've also got this thing on the project list. The wheels are polished Crestline 15x6 w/aftermarket caps.

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.