Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am no painter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
How I spent Father's Day. First off, I have never done any auto painting before, but I did spent the night at a Holiday Inn Select before, therefore, I felt I was qualified to attempt this.

I spent Father's Day working on the 'burnt' 914. I have been working on the rear trunk and rear fenders, cleaning, derusting and basically trying to figure out how to be a body man. I have been working on this portion of the car since Feb 28, unfortunately I didn't have a compressor to paint the exposed metal. So, every weekend I would do more removal of the rust and redo the 'flash' rust from the previous repair work. I did use Opsho, but there was still some rust bleeding through. I finally bought a compressor and today I painted.

This is the pic of the driver side after the fender was removed. There was alot of rust underneath. I have done some patch welding and minimal bondo.
watsonrx13
Here's the shot after the painting.
watsonrx13
This is the pic of the passenger side after the fender was removed.
watsonrx13
Here's the shot after the painting.
watsonrx13
After I removed the driver fender, from the donor car, I stripped the paint to check what was underneath. I found that the PO evidently had some rust issues, where the lower chrome strip, for the vinyl siding on the targa side. They cut out the rust, but instead of butt-welding, they just welded a patch over the hole and used about 3/8" bondo the smooth it out.
watsonrx13
I cut the patch out and butt-welded in a patch. This is why these projects take so long, there are always problems that need to be fixed from the PO attempt to repair the car.

Here's the shot after painting.
TimT
beerchug.gif

nice work
Jeroen
Wow! No half measures there!
You deserve a beer... or two
Great job!!!

cheers,

Jeroen
lmcchesney
Nicely done.
Happy Father's Day and a good way to spend it.
L. McC
URY914
Rob,
PITA isn't it?
But it looks great!
We need a paint smilie.

Paul
seanery
Looks nice! boldblue.gif
Gint
Nice work Rob. Looks great.
McMark
Nothing more beautiful than a project in primer. Makes it feel so much closer to being done. What kind of primer did you use? PPG makes a primer/sealer that's great for sealing out rust. Normal primer can let rust seep through, even after painting. wacko.gif
kafermeister
agree.gif

I love project pics! wub.gif

Nice work Rob.
watsonrx13
Thanks for all of the comments and words of encouragement.

Paul, yeah it's a PITA, but it was a promise I made to Joe to get the car back on the road.

Mark, PPG, DP40, great stuff.

Kafer, yeah, I get excited about other's post of their projects.

Well, yesterday I was was too poop to pop and/or celebrate, so when I got home today, I had a large Rum and coke beer.gif and a MonteCristo cigar blowtorch.gif .

Here's to Florida summer and the view of my back yard:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.