Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oh Great Engine Gurus
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
I'm trying to visualize the Mystery Space. It is located between the Main Seal, the Case and the Flywheel, Endplay Shims and #1 Bearing. It appears to be a sce that catches oil from the main and provides oil for the shims before draining into the case. Is this so?

I mocked it up using some old parts for the picture. The case I want to use is scarred in this area but it appears to me nothing contacts it at this point. The thrust surface for the main is recessed further and toward the centerline of the crank and the seat for the main seal is outboard. Could this be correct?

Thanks

Dave
ejm
You are correct, nothing goes there, it's simply a void where you'll find some oil that hasn't returned to the sump.
How did the case get scarred in this area?
TimT
to be a sce that catches oil from the main and provides oil for the shims before draining into the case. Is this so?

Yes.... just oil.. nothing else going on in there
McMark
I bet it got scarred by some genius with a screwdriver removing his rear mail seal. Get the right tool for the job, it's cheap.
DNHunt
Thanks guys for the quick answers. You guys made my day. I don't know how it got scraped up but it goes all 360 degrees around. If the guy was trying to remove a seal, it must have been a nightmare. Anyway, it appears it's gonna work fine.

Thanks

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.