Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rekeying locks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
siverson
My rear trunk lock and passenger side door handle have both been re-keyed at least twice now. All the little tabs that stick up on the lock cylinder are very small, and you can basically unlock either lock with any 914 key.

Can those "tabs" be replaced, so that I have a somewhat secure 914 lock again? I.e., can you "start over" so the locks only work with one key?

-Steve
SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ Jun 20 2004, 10:48 PM)
Can those "tabs" be replaced, so that I have a somewhat secure 914 lock again? I.e., can you "start over" so the locks only work with one key?

yes, very easy if you have some spare "tabs".
they come in 4 sizes (hole positions that is) and are numbered (how convienient!) 1 to 4 ...

take the cylinder out, put the key in and see which tabs are *loose*, replace those with other sizes until they're a snug fit and don't stick out at the same time.

make sure to fill all holes if some tabs are missing.

voila!
wink.gif Andy
ss6
Anyone know where you can get the replacement tabs Andy is talking about???
kafermeister
Well, I had thought at one time that PelicanParts had new lock tumblers.

Stoddard maybe?

Rick
SirAndy
QUOTE(kafermeister @ Jun 21 2004, 11:27 AM)
tumblers

tumblers, yes, that's what they're called. thanks!

well, i don't know where to get them new, i recall rich (@ HPH) telling me that he bought new ones once ...

easiest way to get ahold of a assortement is to go to your local porsche salvage yard and buy a couple of old 914 locks (just the cylinders, not the whole door handle)!
because there's only 4 different tumblers and each lock has like 10 or 12 of them, you get a nice stash out of 4 or 5 old locks ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.