Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not exactly Porsche related...but still cool.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
TurbOH Brad
This isn't exactly Porsche related, so I thought I would throw this in OT and see if it drummed up any discussion! For those that didn't know, Shelby did race a couple of Porsches in his early days as a driver around the beginning of the 1950s (as most did).

Ol' Shel accomplished a lot more that most people remember, or give him credit for. While I know his reputation has been tarnished as of late due to some...Legal action...I contend that it is mostly his lawyers pulling the old man's puppet strings.

Look at him with fresh eyes and decide for yourself. Can YOU think of anyone who accomplished more and started with less?

Shelby

(In the interest of full disclosure, I wrote this article. If you like it, please link it elsewhere!)
grantsfo
QUOTE(Brad @ Auto Atlanta @ Jul 6 2011, 12:52 PM) *

Can YOU think of anyone who accomplished more and started with less?

Probably this guy

IPB Image

and this guy in my mind.

IPB Image
JFJ914
Well written, Brad.
TurbOH Brad
Thanks John. I appreciate the compliments!
J P Stein
Not bad for a Texas chicken farmer, but....
Neither of the guys pictured above had an angel named Ford backing them.
TurbOH Brad
Well, Shel did have to use his silver tongue to convince Ford to back him. At first, all he could convince them to do was sell him engines on 100% credit. They didn't even want their names on the car until they started winning races.

He may have had Ford backing, but he had to earn it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.