Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yellow Foglight Lenses
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PorscheTom
Hello all,

I've seen some pictures of cars with these installed. Is there a source for these? Where did they come from on the cars that already have them?

Thx for the info.
Ferg
Ahh, a topic i can pretend to know something about. I've searched for the "real" one's for a long long time. I thought I found a pair cheep, bought them and had them come to the house only to realize that they said made in japan on the bottom. They worked and looked good but I could never get over the made in japan imprint it bugged me. So I seached some more and came up zip. So my solution was to buy two new hella clear lenses and paint them using the duplicolor metalcast, it came out near perfect it has been heat resistant and by painting the inside chips from the road are not a worry. here is a pic of what I used, in yellowish color of course
Ferg
Pic, bottom left corner... gives a good idea of how they look. I think they are a shade off from the real thing, but I have never seen the real thing, so what do I know. They do however provide a nice yellow pattern on the roadway when lit. As far as actual advantage in fog, I would say prolly little to none, but I like the look smile.gif
Martin Baker
PorscheTom
Thanks for the tip Ferg!

Did you do any surface prep to the glass prior to painting them? No problems with the paint coming off?

Kind of interesting, transparent paint that will stick to glass!

Regards,
Tom
Ferg
Not much prep, I used some steel wool but that did not do squat, so I just washed them and made sure they were oil free. The metalcast stuff is supposed to be for engine parts ect, ie high heat, so the heat from the bulb should be ok, as far as chips, I don't think it will be a problem since I painted the inside portion of the glass. You can get right up to them and you still cannot tell they were painted vs, actual yellow glass.

It worked so well, that I thought about buying a new pair of euro rear lenses and painting the reverse portion to create some "french" style rear's. ie orange/red/orange. I doubt I can find the right shade of orange though...

Ferg.
Joe Bob
I coated the outside covers of the main headlights on the 356 with the yellow tint....came out good.....I have H-4 replacement lenses.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.