Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Here comes another one!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surferjoe
1974 Porsche 914 2.0 - $3000 in Bay Area.

The Skinny:

Car has sat for 5 years. Owner had a rebuilt 2.0L installed. The mechanic that did it did not put the tin in place against the firewall. Had a new clutch installed. Runs but needs TLC?

The back body needs work. A tree fell on the very edge of the trunk end. Nothing major but damaged the taillight area and now it wont fit correctly. Because of this over time some rain got in the trunk and created small amounts of rust. Fixable within reason?

Interior is ok, cracks in the dash, side panels need replacing due to aftermarket speaker holes and such. Are these cheap?

For the most part the body is in decent cond. Normal rust under the battery. Rocker area is clean.

I'm thinking I could get him down to $2k, have the engine tuned and the tin replaced correctly. Pay a body shop upwards of up to $1k to fix the back area and get a new lens. Rust repair in the trunk could come later.

It has the sideshift setup which I like. Dont have to deal with that.

So, for a quick $3k I would have a running 74 2.0. Invest in minor body repair and new paint later. Spend a few hundred in the interior and have a nice 2.0 ready to go.

Hmmm, decisions, decisions.....
lagunero
If I've learned anything from a 914, "light" or "normal"(?!) rust is not a quick fix and there's always more! You've got great mechanics in the Bay area, so if I was you I'd take it to the pros and pay the fee to get a good idea of what's to come. 2k for a running 2.0 is tempting.
mike_the_man
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Of course you knew that was coming. Pictures would be good if you have some. If it doens't seem too rusty, and you have a good feeling about it, it might not be a bad buy. You'll want the missing engine tin for sure. Did you take it for a drive? How does it feel? Does it run decent? Check very cloesly for rust, and if everything else seems decent, then offer him $2000 for it.

Good luck.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.