Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vin plate help wanted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
MassTeener
How do i get this reg'd, titled?

I'm trying to rescue a 71 that was taken off the road in 86 and the previous owner(who died in 91) didn't want his ex-wife to get the car in their divorse so he pulled the vin plate and ground off the id stamps sad.gif

Nice original car that deserves to be saved, but I need to title her....

Thanks for any help!!!
bdstone914
Im not sure what you want to do is legal. Did you try contacting the local DMV and see what they could do for you?
914itis
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 6 2011, 10:00 PM) *

Im not sure what you want to do is legal. Did you try contacting the local DMV and see what they could do for you?

agree.gif unless the state of massashusetts is diferent .. I'd check with env first
brant
it would be very illegal to sell you a vin plate..
maybe bond the car and get a salvage title?

brant
Mr.242
WOW....Don't do it unless you want to lose both the car and some Constitutional Rights! It's not legal regardless of what state you are in....Even the State of Intoxication.

There is a way to recover the original VIN, if you don't know it. There are some pretty cool way of recovering, probably on YouTube as well. Even if ground off....the pounding that put the numbers in the metal change the propery of the metal. Something like an acid etch on that area can help show the old numbers.

In the State of WA, they can reissue a made up number if you can prove ownership and that the car has not been stolen. You recieve a registration only for 3 years with an electronic title. After the 3 years the car becomes yours with a paper title. This allows for anyone to come forward to claim the vehicle in the event it is a stolen recovery. Your state has to have something like that.

Where are the pictures of the car?

MassTeener
Thanks!

If I buy the car all I'm getting is a bill of sale, so finding out what the original was sounds like the best approach!

Thanks!
Cairo94507
I would work hard to try to locate the correct VIN number by running a history on the owner's name, the license plates if you know them, service records, old pictures, etc. Once you have that, and the bill of sale you should be able to go through your local DMV to begin the process of having a new VIN assigned to the car. Anything short of that, would likely be illegal.
KJW
Swapping VIN's is not legal at all. All vehicles sold in the U.S. after the late 1950's have multiple VIN's on the car. All State Highway Patrol or whatever they call them in your State have Officers that specialize in VIN's. If you buy it with a Bill of Sale and the person is local you can always go back after them if it is stolen. Maybe you can locate the confidential VIN and run the number on NICB.org and you can see if it stolen.
Cairo94507
NCIB.org- pretty cool, I just ran my VIN for fun, no hits. Nice.
Mr.242
I have been on the site long enough to know from looking at everyone's rebuild pages to know there aren't any hidden confidential VINs hidden on our cars.

Unless I've missed something.....

Good Luck on finding the old info on your car. It will be the best way to get the car up and running again.

MassTeener
Even if ground off....the pounding that put the numbers in the metal change the propery of the metal. Something like an acid etch on that area can help show the old numbers.

Kool! How do you do the acid etch??
MassTeener
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Got the VIN from an old reg that had made it's way under the carpets!!!
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

I'm hoping to bring her home next week if everything checks out and will post pictures then.

Maybe Mr Admin can move this to garage/originality??

Keep your fingers crossed for me...not to often you see a car like this in New England. Looks like it was last on the road in 1986!!!

Anyone local going to Lime Rock Saturday? I'll be there in my 83 SC, "Old Red"
Cairo94507
Nice! Looking forward to pictures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.