Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MFactory Limited Slip Differential for Porsche 901/914 trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Chris Hamilton
Note: I'm not selling these or making any money off of this.

I've been talking to the guys at MFactory http://teammfactory.com/ who make limited slip diffs and gearsets for primarily Honda, but also other makes as well. Their parts are very widely respected throughout the Honda/import community.

Last year I put a helical LSD from them in my Civic Del Sol Si, and was absolutely blown away by how cheap and high quality the parts were. I think I ended up paying $700 for the limited slip shipped to my door.

If we could get together 10-20 orders for these things they'd be willing to make a helical LSD or a clutch-type LSD for a bit more. These would fit 914 transmissions, as well as 912 ( not 912E ) and 1964 -1971 911.

Would anyone be interested in a cheap high-quality forged chromoly diff for 901/914? If so would you want a torque-biasing diff, or clutch/plate-type LSD?
jpnovak
I would buy one. I prefer the clutch type that has lockup on accel and decel. adjustable ramp rates would be great.

There is a need for a quality 901-based LSD.
bam914
I would be interested. There is another option. Gripper diffs in the UK makes a clutch LSD. http://www.davemacprops.com/dmpgripperapplications.html. Problem is the crappy US dollar right now. It would be $1360.00.
Chris Hamilton
That's pretty steep, and VAT is a pretty large percent these days too right?
Richard Casto
Interesting. It would be great to have an inexpensive alternative. My concern is that the market for 901 transmission diffs is probably pretty small, but who knows? The development cost on their end might not be that much! For example might their existing design just drop right into a 901 specific carrier?

Richard
Chris Hamilton
That's the impression I got. I think if we could get 10 deposits down on these I could send in one of my old diffs and we could get these made.

They also make gear sets, stacks, carbon synchros and all kinds of nice parts. I would imagine if they sell a few of these things they'd be willing to do 904-style mainshafts and other parts too.

Their stuff is pretty highly regarded as being indestructible by the Honda community for monster turbo motors and drag racing, so to get them making parts for the 901 would be excellent.
hcdmueller
You don't pay VAT if you are outside of Europe. So take at least 17% off that price. Shipping and customs may come back to bite you though.
jpnovak
You might want to consider to post this on PP or Early911S registry sites to attract more potential buyers. The 901 LSD is often discussed with few real reasonably priced options.

Chris Hamilton
I think I'll post it there soon. Have just been very busy lately.

If there is any reasonable interest we could start a group-buy thread in the main forum.
If i was to spend this kind of money on my car at this time this is what it would be on....
J P Stein
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 12 2011, 11:50 AM) *

If i was to spend this kind of money on my car at this time this is what it would be on....

A guard TBD? ................
Chris Hamilton
Yes JP, like the guard TB diff, but a whole lot less expensive.
Pudge
I'm interested.
J P Stein
"Like" & "a whole lot less expensive" don't fit well together. I got a good deal on this one but wouldn't have settled for less.....but feel free to do the R&D for some outfit.
SirAndy
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 12 2011, 03:37 PM) *
I got a good deal on this one but wouldn't have settled for less.....

What's a "good deal" for a Guard TB? idea.gif
Chris Hamilton

"Like" & "a whole lot less expensive" don't fit well together. I got a good deal on this one but wouldn't have settled for less.....but feel free to do the R&D for some outfit.

MFactory have an excellent reputation in all kinds of racing. I've never heard of one of their diffs failing, even in 700+hp drag cars.

If doing the R&D means everyone with a 901/914 can get a great diff for under a grand, then it's entirely worth it.

If we can get a group buy going for these I'm certainly going to be in for two.
SirAndy
I'm looking for a TB diff for my 915 ... idea.gif
Randal
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 12 2011, 03:49 PM) *

I got a good deal on this one but wouldn't have settled for less.....

What's a "good deal" for a Guard TB? idea.gif

Call up Mark and tell him you want the pricing from last January.

Their TB differentials work.
Chris Hamilton
I have no problem with the reliability of the guard units, but the last time I bought a diff from them it was $1750 and took a long time to actually ship.

The diff from MFactory in my honda was $650 and came in 4 days.
Woody
I would be interested in a clutch type with different ramps.
MikeSpraggi
I'm interested.
vintage914racer
Did anyone ever try out a mfactory diff for their 914?
J P Stein
I'm a CSOB.
I worked in a machine shop for a lot of years.
I *know* what it costs to make mechanical objects correctly using good materials, processed properly....plus a mark-up to insure the business stays in business. I've spent enough time in the retail end to know about the mark-up added to insure that they stay in the retail business. I would encourage all my competitors to buy an LSD that costs 300 bucks to manufacture.....the PRC will love you too. biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jul 7 2011, 01:17 PM) *

UK VAT is 17.5% now. But when I was in the UK you could get VAT back when you exported a purchase.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 13 2011, 08:54 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Jul 7 2011, 01:17 PM) *

UK VAT is 17.5% now. But when I was in the UK you could get VAT back when you exported a purchase.

VAT only applies to sales inside of UK or EU. No VAT charged if exported to US. But if you are being legal you will have to declare California Sales tax. Everyone does that right? No tax cheats here I'm sure. LOL!
grantsfo
I have seen the Wavtrac product and it has been tested in Grand Am 370Z's. Very nice quality and made in USA. I highly reccomend taking a look at their product. Nissan Motorsports chose them for Torsen diff supplier. The team tested lots of diffs and this was one of the top choices.

http://www.wavetrac.net/application.htm
givory
I and another 914 racer in installed the WaveTrac together this year with pleasing results so far.

My car is a single plug 2.0L six narrow body vintage racer with very humble power output. So compared to my previous open diff, the difference is not huge, since I never had a problem with lifting a rear wheel. But the car is more stable hustling into corners under braking - especially high speed corners where the car seems less twitchy. But for my friend's car - he has seen a huge improvement. With another 50hp on a lighter twin plugged gt car [running a different class], his used to have big wheelspin on corner exit. No more. His lap times have dropped dramatically, and he really notices an improvement. Can't speak to longevity yet. And of course being around $500 cheaper helps the cause.
Gavin
VARAC #58
grantsfo
I have seen wave trac out of the race cars after multiple track days. These are cars that make over 400 WHP. They look like new. The one comment back from drivers on wave trac is that they dont do well if you are running over berms on sides of the track but if you are on track they work great.

The prefered LSD is OS Giken. Now that we have mine sorted out I have to agree. Its the best lsd I have expereinced. The OS Giken is so tunable its incredible. Mine is tuned for AX and I have zero push. The professional race drivers and the engineers pretty much agree. If you want an LSD that you put in typical street/track car go with Wave Trac. It will last a long time and is very good quality. If you want top of the line race car LSD with adjustbility go with OS Giken as you can tune the OS giken to do any thing you like. All the Grand Am Nissans are using OS Giken and thats after testing almost every available LSD on the market for these cars.
sixaddict
Interested if this goes forward

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 16 2011, 08:00 AM) *

I have seen wave trac out of the race cars after multiple track days. These are cars that make over 400 WHP. They look like new. The one comment back from drivers on wave trac is that they dont do well if you are running over berms on sides of the track but if you are on track they work great.

The prefered LSD is OS Giken. Now that we have mine sorted out I have to agree. Its the best lsd I have expereinced. The OS Giken is so tunable its incredible. Mine is tuned for AX and I have zero push. The professional race drivers and the engineers pretty much agree. If you want an LSD that you put in typical street/track car go with Wave Trac. It will last a long time and is very good quality. If you want top of the line race car LSD with adjustbility go with OS Giken as you can tune the OS giken to do any thing you like. All the Grand Am Nissans are using OS Giken and thats after testing almost every available LSD on the market for these cars.

J P Stein
And how are the Nissains doing at the Grand Am.....Continential Challenge?
jmill
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 16 2011, 11:00 AM) *

Good info here. Didn't even know about them. The $1300 price tag isn't that bad either.

MikeSpraggi
Any movement on the MFactory LSD?
Chris Hamilton
When I talked to a rep at MFactory a while back the only thing they needed was a stock diff ( which I can ship to them, no problem ) and hopefully some pre-orders so they know there will be enough interest for the product.

The easiest way to accomplish this would be for someone to start a group buy thread and hopefully get a dozen or so people to put in a deposit on these things.
patrick3000
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 22 2011, 08:52 PM) *

Someone to start a group buy thread and hopefully get a dozen or so people to put in a deposit on these things.

I'm in
MikeSpraggi
If we're talking around $700, I'm in.
Eddie914
If is anywhere near the price of the diff for your Honda ($650), I am in!

I don't have the money (after paying the kid's tuition's) but I have lots of parts to sell ... it will get me off my butt selling parts!

Cheers,

Eddie
gothspeed
What is the status of this effort?

What direction has this taken on the type of diff to be made?

I am in for certain on a clutch type as that was what my 930 had ...... and I really liked it smile.gif!!
tavoman27
I'm in for a clutch type LSD. please keep me posted!
Woody
Has anything ever come of this?
john914somers
Count me in. The clutch type would be preferable Let me know what I got to do. Thanks a metric ton!!!
brant
QUOTE(Woody @ Aug 22 2012, 05:31 PM) *

Has anything ever come of this?

nope
larryM
so - whatever transpired with this idea?

in production , available , or not?
Retread
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 16 2011, 11:53 PM) *

The prefered LSD is OS Giken.

Grantsfo stated OS Giken is preferred but I cannot find a listing for a product for teh 914 or 1971/1972 911 901 Any help. I am looking for a 75percent clutch type for a stock class PCA 2.0 car.
Retread
QUOTE(Retread @ Sep 9 2014, 06:02 PM) *

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Sep 16 2011, 11:53 PM) *

The prefered LSD is OS Giken.

Grantsfo stated OS Giken is preferred but I cannot find a listing for a product for teh 914 or 1971/1972 911 901 Any help. I am looking for a 75percent clutch type for a stock class PCA 2.0 car.

El Vikingo Tropical
I'm interested in two units!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.