Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short shocks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
Brad do you use shorter inserts for the front struts?

My car has RSR raised spindle struts, im going to check the travel next time out but Im wondering if you use a shorter inserts on the track cars..

I also have a set of koni 3012's for the rear I may send back to truechoice and have revalved for the 914
Brad Roberts
Truechoice has several sets of shocks from me right now...LOL

We run a Mazda RX7 front shock (what would be for a Mazda RX7) They are shorter, but are held into the typical Boge front strut the same way (we cut the strut down which requires a shorter shock)

On the Bilsteins:

Its pretty easy to modify the Bilstein shock. Trim the small rod and machine the groove back in it for the roll pin. The cut the top of the strut off the same amount you removed from the shock rod.

I noticed in your pics where you had the ride heigth set... this should not cause the Bilsteins to bottom out (unless they are worn out)

B
Brad Roberts
IXNA the cutting of the Bilstein strut housing... the top is machined to hold the top of the shock in place. We chop a section out of the center and weld the top back on (same thing with the Boge style so we keep the threaded portion at the top).

B
TimT
Yea but i want the car lower...

LOL and I HAVE TO FINISH MY 911 project...

Must.... not.... fall ... into new car mod... help

need to finish 911, then 914 can come into the garage

I thought about cutting the rod on the Bilstein, I just wondered if bilstein made a shorter body insert...

I think I need to drop my car about an inch..it will then be pretty much set up as I think it should be...
Brad Roberts
I'm trying to remember what we have run in the past. I thought at one point we ran a Rabbit Bilstein... but I'm not sure. The plan is to have some Morriss shocks made up during the summer for fall testing. I'm trying to get all my guy's away from the Bilsteins and into something adjustable.

B
TimT
I figured that you had to take the material from the center..... the bearing and threaded portion cant be f**ed with
TimT
Brad you have seen the Truechoice bilsein>koni conversion for the front struts? they convert the RSR strut to accept a Koni adjustable insert..
Brad Roberts
I'm getting passed the Koni's. After dealing with Moton's/JRZ's/Ohlin's and the such.. Koni is a little behind. The new stuff from Koni (like you have for the rear..is good stuff)

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.