Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Horrible reason to leave work early
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TargaToy
My wife called, sobbing, to tell me our 1.5 yr old Golden Retriever, Big Mac, died this afternoon. He'd come through a 2nd emergency surgery in 2 days to remove a section of his small intestine after he fell ill this past weekend. Bowel blockage--part of a favorite toy. Came through the surgery fine but the Dr's best guess was he was the victim of a blood clot. My wife got the phone call about an hour after a call telling us he was doing well and inviting us to bring our daughters by to see him this evening.

So long, pup. sad.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brant
I'm so sorry
he looks like a great great dog
sorry for your loss

brant
ellisor3
Conrad,

Sorry to hear that. One of the hardest days of my life was when I was forced to put down my 13 year old Springer. Losing a best friend is always hard. I like dogs better than most people. Have a stiff one beer3.gif
okieflyr
Sorry to hear. They do become part of the family. Think back on the good times and what joy they give us.
PeeGreen 914
sad.gif Sorry for your loss.

RIP little doggy
quadracerx
Sorry for your loss....I totally understand...I had a German Sheperd who went in for back surgery...made it to recovery and died in the middle of the night...I got the call at 2AM from the doctor in tears...Only dog he had lost in 25 years of doing that type of surgery....

Keep your family close...and know that he is happy playing with his new buddies in heaven....

Steve
matthepcat
That's very sad....just a puppy.

I can't imagine losing my pooch who just turned 1. sad.gif
Tom
So sorry to hear that. As a dog lover, I feel your loss. They are truly man's best friend.
Tom
abnrdo
Sorry to hear about your beloved pet. Hang in there!
BMXerror
So sorry to hear this. sad.gif Most everybody here knows how heart wrenching it can be to lose a pet. When I lost my most recent dog, it felt frighteningly close to when I lost my own brother. You'll get through it, though.
Mark D.
76-914
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 7 2011, 06:07 PM) *

Conrad,

Sorry to hear that. One of the hardest days of my life was when I was forced to put down my 13 year old Springer. Losing a best friend is always hard. I like dogs better than most people. Have a stiff one beer3.gif

agree.gif Never had a dog lie to me, cheat me or steal from me. I love 'em, too. I'm so sorry for your loss. sad.gif Now go get another one. Quickly.
IronHillRestorations
Man that sucks. My condolences. Pets enrich our lives so much.
jonferns
So sorry for the loss of your pup sad.gif
Cupomeat
No doubt they are a member of your family.

I lost a golden mix in 2007 and it still makes me sad.

My deepest condolences.

When the time is right, get another and the puppy stink breath, chewing and house training will certainly distract you.
Cairo94507
My deepest sympathy to you and your family. As someone who absolutely loves pets and sleeps every night with my dogs next to me (don't start) I feel your pain.
Madswede
sad.gif I'm sorry to hear that too. Family dogs in the 80s for my family were a nice long line of goldens. Great dogs. I'm a dog-lover, they are such great companions, and it's always sad to see one go, especially young and sudden like that. RIP Good Dog.
rfuerst911sc
As a long time dog owner I feel your pain. But the short term pain is so worth it for the long time joy a dog gives every day. A dog loves unconditionally every minute of every day if treated properly, that's why it's so hard when they are gone. In time you'll know when it's time to get another. Not as a replacement but an addition to. Good luck.
NJ914Guy
So sorry for your loss. Your family and pup will be in our thoughts and prayers.
pt_700
among the saddest things i've ever dealt with have been the loss of my dogs. sadder still when they've so much time left.

when you're done grieving, give a good life to another special pooch.

go chase those heaven squirrels big mac!
nsr-jamie
I am sorry to hear that and its so sad that the little pup was so young..I am a big dog lover and live with 2 little dogs now and my whole life has always had a dog in it since I can remember. They are truly great friends and always protect and watch out for their family. Just like little hero's.

I am sorry for your loss, but hold on to those memories.
MoveQik
Wow....that is horrible! Can't imagine losing a pup that young. So sorry to hear it.

We have two Goldens, they are an amazing breed and part of the family from day one.
windforfun
I'm very sorry. You have my condolences. We have four dogs. The oldest one is eighteen & she has a bad quickly growing tumor in her throat. She's hanging in there.
RickS
Very sorry to learn of the loss of your family member. Goldies are very special in so many ways. May your fond memories console you during this rough time.
Ian Stott
I am sorry to hear of your loss, I hope the happy memories will give some comfort during this difficult time. Looked like a real nice dog.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Smitty911
Sorry for your loss, my first Golden died one morning at the age of 7. We used to go damn near everywhere together, he was a really good listener.

About two weeks after his passing, my wife takes me to see this.

He's 2 1/2 now.

I still think of my first, but having Sampson helps.

Smitty
TargaToy
Thanks, everybody, for the condolences and well-wishes. It means a lot to be able to share this and have bunches of folks identify. Work was busy today which kept my mind occupied but this evening got pretty hard again.

It is a bit soon but I have been wondering if it might be a good idea to open our home to another pup (or dog) as has been suggested. Hurts to think about but the 5 of us are feeling like a huge part of our lives is missing today.
MoveQik
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Jul 8 2011, 07:36 PM) *

It is a bit soon but I have been wondering if it might be a good idea to open our home to another pup (or dog) as has been suggested. Hurts to think about but the 5 of us are feeling like a huge part of our lives is missing today.

We decided that our first golden(that we got as a puppy) needed a buddy. So we went to a Golden Retriever rescue. We got an amazing Golden that was two years old. He has been a great addition to the family. Maybe something to consider when the time is right...
Randal

Losing a family member is terribly difficult, but, as has been mentioned here, think about all the good times shared together.

underthetire
My sympathies. Just went through that myself.
GeorgeRud
I've been a practicing veterinarian for the last 31 years, and it's always one of the worst things to have something like this happen. When everything is looking good, then takes a terrible turn. The same thing happened to Joe Mondello (of Oldsmobile drag-racing fame) a while ago - intestinal blockage surgery, everything seems fine, then dies a day or two later from a blood clot. Sometimes Mother Nature does cruel things to us and just doesn't play fair at all.

Remember the good times you had, and I'd also suggest checking with the Recue organizations. They often have great dogs that are trying to find permanent (or even fostor) homes, and are well worth supporting. These days, with the economy as it is, many wonderful pets are being turned in as people lose homes to forclosures, etc., and find many apartments are rentals won't allow pets.

As with all the folks here, I'm sorry for your loss!
dlo914
i'm sorry about your loss of a great friend.
TargaToy
Back in the saddle.

This is our new 10 week old Golden named Ty.

Thanks for your encouragement, those who suggested a puppy might help.

Click to view attachment

Contstantly being interrupted while trying to take a relaxing pee on the living room carpet makes me TIRED!!

Click to view attachment

Cairo94507
It is wonderful to see that you got a puppy. I hope that doggie realizes he hit the puppy lottery and will have a wonderful life. Congratulations to you, your family and Ty.
zymurgist
A little belated, but sorry to hear about Big Mac. sad.gif They do get under your skin.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.