Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
This tank is available to me for $200.

I will need an in-line oil filter and cooler to make this work.

Or will it work? unsure.gif
Mueller
A plastic milk container will work if it'll hold up to the temperature, but there are better alternatives smile.gif

Seriously, does this unit have internal baffles? Where would you mount it? Will custom length hoses be needed? What size are the inlet/outlets? (too small and your motor could suffer)

How many qts is it compared to a factory 914/6 or 911 counterpart?

Depending on some of your answers to the above questions, yes is should work.
You need to see how much a remote oil filter is along with the oil cooler, you might end up spending more money in the long run.
Trekkor
Yes, the tank has baffles.
The thing hold som'thin' like 10-12 qts.

Oils filters, coolers and lines are cheap compared to the $800 914-6 tank without filter, cooler or lines.

Don't know the size of the fittings, but the shop that has the tank, runs 400 hp+++ V-8's with it so my baby six shouldn't be unhappy.

Mount in front trunk or create some sort of under rear trunk mount that partly comes through the sheet metal but let's me stow my roof...whew!
Trekkor
icon_bump.gif

Here's the tank, Brad. Your thoughts?

KT
Brad Roberts
Trekkor,

I'm quickly learning that it doesnt really matter what any of us think. You have already made your decision on what path you are going to take and what parts you are going to use. Each time you ask a question you are basically "looking" for backup on the decision you have already made and not to use the information we give you to determine another path.

I say stop wasting your time asking us questions and get the damn thing installed already.

If this tank doesnt work... put the 4cyl back in it. It only runs 5-6k to rebuild a 911 engine if it doesnt shoot a rod out the top of the block.

B
Trekkor
I do not agree. It does matter to me.

I'm using many things I have learned here.

I respect the the opinions and experience of the mechanics here, and I hope some of the things I say here are of value to you. Or those who read them.

I have not committed to anything and I have not ruled out anything.

I will make all my decisions about my car based on these points:

Purpose, Quality, Reputation, Opinions and Budget.

I'm playing with cars, not trying to cure cancer.

I value your opinion, and would like to have it.

Is this race proven oil tank compatible with a 911 engine or not?

Trekkor
Jeroen
It might work, it might not... wanna take chances with your /6 engine???
That it works for a V8 doesn't mean it will in an oil-cooled engine...

If I were you, I'd opt for a Peterson tank.
(check Bill P's recent "new racecar" thread)
I've seen 'm in quite a few racecars, so that should mean sumptin and the price is nice...

cheers,

Jeroen
Trekkor
I saw that tank, too. drooley.gif

I just, can't decide between factory tank or front mount tank of some sort.

Likely an oil cooler will follow and be up front anyway.

What tank will you run, Jeroen?

KT
propricer
Assuming the tank works, which tank will best preserve ( or add to ) your very LARGE investment in a 6 conversion?

Is THIS the place you want to save $600 ???

Your call ...
Trekkor
Good point...

KT
Brad Roberts
Run a Peterson style up front. The oil comes in from the top and gets the air removed by falling through baffles plates leading to the bottom. There is almost NO way the tank above will work correctly for your application (solely based on the placement of the fittings) Ed is 100% correct: do you really need to save money in this particular area ??

B
Jeroen
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 7 2004, 04:29 AM)
What tank will you run, Jeroen?

Still undecided...

I have a stock /6 tank

I also have a 3.2 911 tank. I've been looking for several locations to put it. Could be done, but it wouldn't be a clean install...
(got the tank with the 3.2 oilcooler that I'll be using)

The Peterson tank looks like a no-brainer.
But it's hard to get the AN fittings and stuff here (or expensive) and since every thing else in the car is metric, I guess I'd need a shitload of adapters to make it work

Anyone know if Peterson can fab a tank with 30mm metric bungs???
TBrads914/6
I believe that it was this company that I bought a 30mm adapter for my after market oil tank. I have the large cylinder type with the baffles in it. Oil come in the top and out the bottom. Looks like one from circle track car.http://www.aircraftspruce.com
Root_Werks
I would say this tank would be hard to mount and make work. I have known a few guys who have used round tanks that fill from the top. Is that the style people are refering to? Seems like most mount them in the front. Looks pretty straight forward and simple. AN fittings are everywhere! You can buy the adapter for the block from GPR, I am sure Brad on the list here carries them as well. Easy stuff.

With running the lines form the back to the front of the car for the tank, think of all that heat that will disipate! biggrin.gif
TimT
heres a shot of Alan Kendalls 914GT
TimT
Here is an oil tank I made for my 911... bunch of ways to accomplish this
SLITS
QUOTE(TimT @ Sep 7 2004, 03:36 PM)
heres a shot of Alan Kendalls 914GT

That's a long way from the '70s Cuddy Car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.