Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Steering - Now Horn Is Stuck
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
UHG!!!

I installed a new steering wheel and now the horn is stuck. I have taken it a part and put it back together, but i can get it to stop.

What did I miss?
seanery
you shorted the ground(or the hot) of the horn button most likely.
I know, duh, real clever diagnosis.

Look for a pinched wire or torn insulation somewhere.

If you take the wheel of does it still do it?
ne14914
If you take the wheel of does it still do it?

No ity doesnt - however as soon as i put the adapter on - it does it again
Brad Roberts
Your controlling the ground to the horn relay with that brown wire.

Make sure that the adapter doesnt touch anything it shouldnt.

Do you have a camera ?? I need to see what wheel and what horn button you have along with a column shot.

B
ne14914
Do you have a camera ?? I need to see what wheel and what horn button you have along with a column shot.

Here you go -

The horn blows when I put the adapter on - I havent even hooked up the horn button yet.
Brad Roberts
Horn button. I need to see the back of it.

Some of them have a spring that holds it into the wheel.

You have to really protect that single wire after you plug it onto the horn button..the wire can hit the steel clip after you push it into the center of the wheel.

B
ne14914
I havent even connected the horn button yet and it still goes off.

If i take the wheel off the adapter, and just connect the adapter - the horn will blow - without the wheel or horn button connected.
Brad Roberts
Did you put the plate on the back of the steering wheel that has the wire attached to it ??

B
ne14914
yes its there -

Its like as soon as the adapter touches the back of the steering column the horn goes off
kdfoust
First, see my response in this thread on Pelican.

If that doesn't make sense check this out:
djm914-6
Looks like kdfoust found the problem I had when installing a MOMO onto my friends '73. I just bent the little contacts (circled above) in toward the center a little bit and the problem was solved.

Good luck,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.