Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Windows?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
anybody ever try to do electric windows in their 914?
jim_hoyland
Yup. Dr Evil had a long thread covering this several years back. I've have EWs for the past 3 years and really like them; especially when you want to open the pass side.

There are univeral kits ( Summit Racing IIRC ) available.

See: http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?show...c=48405&hl=
jim_hoyland
Pics Dr Evil's install:
jim_hoyland
Pic of my install:

At first, the window up/down speed seemed slower than I expected. Subsequently, I installed reversing relays inside each door to get more power closer to the motors. The original power source was routed through the switches; now, the switches activate the reversing relays.

The only challenge, was making sure I had the proper adapter to fit onto the 914 winder. Otherwise, an easy project, and you can keep your eyes on the road while adjusting the windows/air flow
76-914
Thx for that post Jim. I had asked the good Dr. if he would post a pic of his install but he said that the guy selling that kit had a shit fit about him posting pic's. It was a propriotory thing. lol-2.gif I would damn sure buy one before spending hours trying to duplicate one. Mike had mentioned that his were a bit anemic. I wonder if he tried your relay approach, Jim. Btw, I got 3 survivors from those Butterfly seedlings. How long before they top out? av-943.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 10 2011, 07:08 AM) *

Btw, I got 3 survivors from those Butterfly seedlings. How long before they top out? av-943.gif

They should be at least a foot tall by now and flower buds forming. I transplant mine into 5 gallon containers or plant directly into the ground; they have a substancial root system by the time they are 1 foot tall.

The reversing relays are the key; I had a 10 gauge wire running from the battery to a power amp in the front trunck already; so, I ended up with a plenty of power for the window motors. I would recommend making the window-lifting mechanism as free from friction as possible first, now that I've been through the install

Here's a pic of the reversing relay set up; it was pretty easy to do and they mounted easily in the door recess.
wingnut86
...I liked what this gent did as well.

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/03/0...ectric-windows/

He's in San Diego I believe.

He also has major OCD like me beer.gif

wingnut86......
markb
I have had a kit for sale in the classifieds for a while now.....
trent1542
thanks guys thats all the info I need for now I think. biggrin.gif
And markb, I will try to find your post in the classified forum
Elliot Cannon
I'll have power windows in my 914, when I am too old and feeble to crank them down by hand. How fuchin' lazy do you have to be?? happy11.gif laugh.gif
Dr Evil
the ones pictured in my door were anemic. The Spal ones are much better and MarkB is selling a set, IIRC. Theones Jim used are better as well. I used a cheapo universal kit and I got what I paid for dry.gif
davesprinkle
I recall a thread where some guy installed 911 window motors. Don't know where it is, though. (The advanced search options don't work correctly for me, sorry...)
mcbrems
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jul 10 2011, 11:03 AM) *

He's in San Diego I believe.

He also has major OCD like me beer.gif

wingnut86......

I'm actually in Los Angeles. Just finally upholstering my door panels and installing them. The added padding now makes the windows quiet as a breeze when they go up and down.

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/08/1...he-yellow-door/

I try to manage my OCD so others aren't affected by it. Sometimes not so successfully. Thanks for the compliment, though.

Cheers - McB

jim_hoyland
Very nice workmanship ! smile.gif How many seconds from open to close ? Did you install a pass window control on the drivers side ?

This is my favorite mod
mcbrems

I'd estimate about 3 secs to go up or down. Yes, there is a set of double rockers for the driver door, to control the passenger window. I really like the feel of the switches, and the fact that they are illuminated.

McB
mcbrems
Here is a picture of the SPAL unit in my driver door:

Click to view attachment

Seems pretty strong and consistent so far.

Here's the link to the install:

http://914electric.wordpress.com/2011/03/0...ectric-windows/

Cheers,
McB
charliew
I assume the black knob is under a flat door panel and has room to rotate without rubbing? The only thing that would worry me is how long the units will last. I would hate to need to re-engineer it again in a few years with a different type with the door getting rebutchered to fit a better design. My 63 jeep gladiator has had 65 caddy electric window complete mechanisms since 80 and they are still maybe a little too fast and smooth.
jim_hoyland
Are the Spals new and how many adapters did the kit come with
mcbrems
QUOTE(charliew @ Aug 17 2011, 06:01 PM) *

I assume the black knob is under a flat door panel and has room to rotate without rubbing?

The black knob actually protrudes through the door panel, and is covered with a cap that fits over the knob. They provide a few different height caps in the kit. Here's a shot of it:

http://914electric.files.wordpress.com/201...el_finished.jpg

Sure, it would look better if it was totally shaved, but this is the next best option. I don't think it looks too offensive.

McB
mcbrems
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Aug 17 2011, 06:18 PM) *

Are the Spals new and how many adapters did the kit come with

Yes, I bought them brand new, and there were too many various sized spindle adapters provided to even count them. They came attached to a molded plastic tree, just like model airplane parts.

http://914electric.files.wordpress.com/201...99477172163.jpg

McB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.