Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TROJANMAN
my mechanic has given me an estimate for his rebuild, but i need advice in which direction to take:

his estimate reads: rings, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, rod bushings, can/followers, F&R seals, recon rods, hone cylinders, polish crank, magnaflux crank, for a price $-.--
but then he adds: replace the pistons and cylinders for an extra $675

am i missing something? do i pay extra for the replacement parts, or is reconditioning good enough?

i should also note that this is his additional estimate for the complete motor. i received a separate estimate when i was only going to do the top end.

i really don't pretend to know anything about mechanics, so i am relying on you guys for help.

i'm not questioning his pricing methods, i'm just trying to figure out how to have my engine rebuilt right the first time. i don't want to cut corners.
thanks smilie_flagge6.gif
Mueller
to me, the pistons and cylinders are consumables (the cylinders can be re-used for bigger pistons if properly machined, Jake does this)

I'd question the brand of the pistons and cylinders he gave you a price on. The cheaper import P/C's are only $300 for brand new parts, he deserves to markup the price a tad bit to make money, but a $375 profit is out of line smile.gif
skline
Well, if you dont want to cut corners, then I would replace the pictons and cylinders also. However, make sure he is not using some cheap chinese P/C kit. You want a good set if you want it to last.
seanery
If you decide to swap P/Cs I would spec out exactly what you want brand/size/compression, etc...
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 22 2004, 11:10 AM)
to me, the pistons and cylinders are consumables (the cylinders can be re-used for bigger pistons if properly machined, Jake does this)

I'd question the brand of the pistons and cylinders he gave you a price on.

what brand/size/compression do you recommend?
he's using euro spec mahle p&c's.

OT: mueller, i was a huge smiths fan in HS, but morrissey for president? although, the current choices are about as depressing.
lmcchesney
Gregor, I feel like I walked into the middle of the movie. Have you said what it is you want of the engine rebuild? Is it just time for a renewal of your stock 2.0L? Are you moving up in displacement? Just quickly, if you are applying new Pistons and Cylinders of stock size, you do not need the charge for honing the cylinders.
Cylinders are made by several companies and some companies have the products made in different countries. Mahle has P/C made in Europe and Brazil. Many believe that the European made P/C's are a better quality. I believe some of the engine guys here use parts from Spain and are happy with the quality. I have not heard good reports of the P/C's made in other countries.
Another option over using local talent is to pull the motor, crate it and ship it to one of the guys here. You know you will be getting quality and a fair price. Besides, if you are not happy, it's easy to bitch at them here on the board.
If I missed the previous information, sorry, but tell us what your overall plans are.
L. McC
TROJANMAN
lmcc
it started out as a top end rebuild from a dropped valve seat. i then decided to have the mechanic do the whole thing. he's a good mechanic with good references and i'm happy with his price. i was just looking for advice on ways to upgrade engine quality since he already has the whole thing apart. suggestions would be great. can i buy p&c's on ebay to supply him with at a better price?
it's a 75 2.0 with 87k orig miles
thanks
lmcchesney
Evilbay is a source at reduced prices, but it is hard to be sure you have European cylinders. Many are going with Keith Black (http://kb-silvolite.com/index2.php) pistons. Check for skirt clearence and weigh the pistons. Also read tech section on dynamic vs static CR. IF you decide to increase displacement, say 2056, the European cylinders can be honned. Do you know if your presnet cylinders are bad and what maker?
L. McC
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(lmcchesney @ Jun 23 2004, 05:20 AM)
Do you know if your presnet cylinders are bad and what maker?
L. McC

it's an original 2.0 , so what ever they used when it was built. he said i will get more compression with the new cylinders.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.