Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 shift kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi I'ved got a '73 914. Had tranny rebuilt; replaced shift bushings, but shifting is still vague & sloopy. It is much better than before, but I'm still not happy with it. I've been looking at shift kits online. The two that catch my eye are the WEVO & the Rennshift. If anyone has had experience with these, or has has any other ideas how to tighten the shift gates I would appreciate the help.
Thanks, Tom
Tom
Tom,
This is my third 914 and I always hated the vague shifting on these cars, but loved the driving in them, so when I got this one I was determined to find a way to get it's shifting better. New good fitting bushings are a must and what made mine so much better was the rennshift. I know it is expensive, but it was the best modification I have made to my 76. I haven't tried any of the others, so can't comment on how much they help the shifting. Proper adjustment is fairly critical also.
Tom
NC_Colfax
Another one to look at....

http://www.cableshift.com/914/914%20page.html
eric9144
Haven't seen that one before...anyone tried it?
HAM Inc
Rennshift. Get the linkage kit too. It rocks! 1st quality stuff!
hot_shoe914
Mine is all stock and one of the best shifting Porsches there is. Get ALL the bushings replaced, make sure everything is lined up proper. No need to spend a ton of money to have a nice shifting 914. Don't take my word for it, ask Dr Evil. Ask him how my car shifts. poke.gif
Steve
I have the Rennshift and the Patrick Motorsports bar and firewall solution.
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/572/
http://www.patrickmotorsports.com/part/595/
It shifts so tight now I can feel the clunk when it goes in and out of gear versus the vague feel of the stock shifter. And yes I had all new bushings prior to the switch over.
Mike Bellis
If you don't want to spend $500 you can make a better custom rod setup. J West used to make an awesome kit, but no more. You can make your own with some rod, U Joints and an extra bushing. My system shifts awesome. I considered going with a cable but it shifts so nice why spend the money. I also bent my rod around my oil pan. Some installs can use a streight rod. I built this for under $100...

Here's the rod...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Here is the extra bushing in the L bracket.

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Honestly, if it is rebuilt, it should shift pretty well with only a little bit of room for improvement. confused24.gif

Which bushings did you replace? How is your stick shifter? There are bushings in it that wear and are seldom replaced.

I think that there are still things needing addressing. I have owned a few of these, worked on several, and they always shift damn good when I am done with them. I hope there is an easy fix.
wildman
Im most of the way through building new linkage for my car, it's on the car and shifts great, i just need to finish dust boots.

I have a whole thread dedicated to it over on the club site, it's too much to copy, so here's the link

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=269369

Good luck biggrin.gif
Steve
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 13 2011, 06:57 PM) *

Honestly, if it is rebuilt, it should shift pretty well with only a little bit of room for improvement. confused24.gif

Which bushings did you replace? How is your stick shifter? There are bushings in it that wear and are seldom replaced.

I think that there are still things needing addressing. I have owned a few of these, worked on several, and they always shift damn good when I am done with them. I hope there is an easy fix.

I have had many 914's since 1978 and yes I replaced all of the bushings, however maybe the shift rod wore down over the last 25 years. I tried several new firewall bushings and it was still sloppy. At that point Thomas recommended the spherical firewall bearing. He shaved down the shift rod to fit. It made a world of difference. The Rennshift was just icing on the cake.
A better condition shift rod that fit the stock firewall bushing better probably would of also made a big difference. I agree there shouldn't be any slop in that bushing.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 12 2011, 03:48 PM) *

Haven't seen that one before...anyone tried it?

I have one ordered. Should be here next week. I will let you know how it goes.
BuddyV
I have a Rennshift unit on my tail-shift trans..... has always worked fine for me.

... although I am afraid to drive a side-shift car with proper bushings. THAT would reveal all of my shifting shortcomings! For now, I don't seem to miss any shifts.... that's good enopugh for me.

driving-girl.gif
thelogo
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 12 2011, 08:03 PM) *

Mine is all stock and one of the best shifting Porsches there is. Get ALL the bushings replaced, make sure everything is lined up proper. No need to spend a ton of money to have a nice shifting 914. Don't take my word for it, ask Dr Evil. Ask him how my car shifts. poke.gif

I agree my 914 shifted so well [ all stock stuff ] when I brought it to my mechinic

he couldn't believe it >

go figure , but yes 1st still leave's alittle to desire but it's all good .
TomR
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 13 2011, 05:57 PM) *

I think tranny in good shape. I replaced bushings at tranny and at firewall. nothing in front of them. Stock shifter seems ok, but has a fair amount of slop even when in gear. I think main problem is me because when I go slow hit shifts almost every time. Looking to make life a little easier for me.
Mike Bellis
You cannot speed shift a 901.

The shift fork mechanism has some play in it internally. You will never get rid of all the slop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.