Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
A while back, you may recall that Justin posted a pic of a 914 steering wheel that was made of wood. I made him an offer and purchased it.

Here is a before pic:
seanery
Then I refinished it: (the wood at least)

I need a good center section.
I'd love one of those round leather ones.
I think this wheel may be from a 65/66 911/912 not a 914.
Gonna do more research and I'll let ya know.
seanery
Here's another pic
seanery
Last week I bought a 930 steering wheel from an '85.

Don't know much about it, but I like it.
It has a long extender which could be nice.
Hafta figure out what's required to mount it.
seanery
You can kinda see how long the extension/hub is:
boxstr
Here is one that came on a car I bought in Orange Calif.
CCLINDAMPCAMP914
seanery
I also have a red 3 spoke from a 911 that I had on my first 914.
I don't have a good pic of it, but here it is:
seanery
This is going on a white 72 with tan seats/doors/carpet...

Any ideas, opinions?
rick 918-S
See, I would like wheel #3 wrapped in leather. Nice and fat, nice center. Wood wheels belong in old English Roadsters. Hey just my oppinion. I love the way that wheel #1 turned out though. Nice work.
meursault
Wood wheel #1 is not an early 911/912 unit. Those which were installed in those early cars were of a greater diameter...they feel like as if you're steering with a large pizza. Best guess is that it's a homemade unit based on the 914 center...pretty neat.
jtf914
The wood wheel looks awesome, nice job! I would go with the wood wheel with a GT horn button. But then again my opinion might be a little biased.

Second choice would be the 930 wheel (does it have horn buttons to the right and left of the center pad?)
jtf914
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 21 2003, 10:42 PM)
I think this wheel may be from a 65/66 911/912 not a 914.
Gonna do more research and I'll let ya know.

I'm pretty sure if you take the horn pad off, you'll see a 914 part number stamped in the surface of the wheel. Did the early 911/912 wheels come with mounting hubs?
seanery
I'm not sure about the mounting hubs. I've seen a couple of early wood wheels on ebay and they look the same as this, but with the round leather horn button.

I haven't taken the horn off yet to look for a part #.

The 930 does have two small horn buttons left and right.
JWest
Hey, a guy was recently selling a '73 Carerra RS steering wheel and he said it has the proper 914 part number for an RS wheel. This makes since the 914 wheel is smaller in diameter than the 911 wheel. It was a guy who owns an original RS, so there is some credibility there.

If you unbolt the hub the wheel itself will interchange between 911 and 914 - the 914 has an additional hub piece.

Should we be selling all our 914 wheels on E-bay as RS wheels for $1000?
boxstr
This is the Porsche Design wheel that I have always thought was one of the simplest and best steering wheel design. Comes with three horn button options and a center hub pad.
This is going to replace the 928 steering wheel that is on my 74 914-6.
CCLINCAMP914
boxstr
Almost forgot...
seanery
Craig,

Where did you find that?
It's interesting...
boxstr
Ebay. Actually I have two of these one is not as nice as this one. Wall hanger.
CCL
need4speed
Whatever happened to the nice classic;
chain welded into the shape of a steering wheel?
meursault
On the Carrera RS wheels, I believe they differ from stock 914 wheels in that the grip is wider. They should be the same as the 914-6 GT wheels, which would explain the 914 part number.
anthony
I believe they also have a smaller diameter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.