Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 6 cyl gas mileage?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
trent1542
I'm sure this has been asked/stated before but what kind of gas mileage does a 6 typically get? And can the 6's use fuel injection instead of carburetors?

thanks
jt914-6
My six I used to have (3.0rs W/webers) would get up to 24 mpg cruising. Driving a little harder would get around 18+ mpg. Sixes can use FI. Drop in one complete with the FI. Lots of folks have FI engines in them. Any where from 2.7-3.6.
SirAndy
Here's what i get:

Freeway:~25mpg
City:~20mpg
Leadfoot:~15mpg
Track:below 5mpg

Oh, and the motor is a 3.6L from a '95 993 with the stock 993 FI. driving.gif
dion9146
My 3.2 with factory motronic gets somewhere between Andy's Leadfoot and track mileage, mainly because I can't keep my foot out of it. smile.gif

ArtechnikA
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Jul 11 2011, 04:09 PM) *

I'm sure this has been asked/stated before but what kind of gas mileage does a 6 typically get? And can the 6's use fuel injection instead of carburetors?

What's a typical 914.6 engine?

I used to get close to 40 on long trips with lots of highway miles.
Original factory /6 with the 2,0 911T engine and Webers.
It's not fun, but you can put on a lot of trip miles between stops if you have to.
(And that was 'real' gasoline. Subtract at least 10% from that number to get an ethanol-blend pump-gas number today...)

Just about any engine can use fuel injection - but some engines and fuel injection systems are more challenging than others. Since every 911 from 1974 on came with some kind of injection, unless you have a really good reason to go back to the 2,0 - 2,2 days - and the 911T flavors of those - the 911 engine already had injection. Lots of the factory injection has been replaced with carburetors for a variety of reasons - some of which make more sense than others, but most of which have to do with the intended purpose of the car.

Need to know way more about what engine and how it will be driven to answer your question.
Elliot Cannon
3.2 with factory Motronic FI. 26 MPG highway with the windows up and roof on. 23 MPG highway with the roof off and windows down.
trent1542
thanks guys... I think I will stick with my /4 unless I can get my hands on a 911 2.2, preferably a 60s or 70s unit smile.gif
Michael N
My 2.4S MFI (menchanical fuel injection ) drinks the gas. I have never calulated the actual milage but I'd guess it is @ 15 on average. The S engine needs to stay above 3500 rpm to not bog down, and smells of gas. I figure it is not a daily driver and the price of gas is cheap based on the driving therapy the car provides. driving.gif It is hard not to drive an S without racing the engine.
dion9146
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Jul 11 2011, 06:45 PM) *

thanks guys... I think I will stick with my /4 unless I can get my hands on a 911 2.2, preferably a 60s or 70s unit smile.gif

What are you looking for? Is it gas mileage, power, carbs, convenience, reliability?given the fact that converting to a six is going to cost almost the same amount of money whether it is a 3.2 or a 2.2 (aside from a slight diff in engine cost given equal condition motors), I'm into the 3.2 all day long. If it's an everyday driver, go for modern FI like motronic. Unless you like fiddling with carbs. BTDT then switched to motronic and will never look back!
MoveQik
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Jul 11 2011, 03:45 PM) *

If you're look to do a conversion, the extra gas will be the least of your expenses! laugh.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(trent1542 @ Jul 11 2011, 06:45 PM) *

thanks guys... I think I will stick with my /4 unless I can get my hands on a 911 2.2, preferably a 60s or 70s unit

2,2's existed in '70 and '71 only. T's had carburetors, E and S were MFI. For a variety of reasons, MFI is great for performance, fairly sucky for economy.

I would not go earlier than a 2,2 unless you're looking at specific class rules.

I would not go earlier than 3,0 (1983 911 SC) unless you have a _really_ good reason.

3,2 and newer is definitely the hot setup, especially if you're looking for economy and simplicity. There are original 2,0's - or engines rebuilt like original 2,0's - but they're done for specific reasons. It's just as expensive to rebuiild a 2,0 as a 3,2 - maybe more, because of the availability of parts for the later engines.
campbellcj
It's kinda hard to figure-out with a cell and no working gauge, but I estimate around 5-6mpg in track driving...about 3 gallons in 20 minutes...at $7-8/gal shades.gif
Twise
71 2.2 S MOTOR /w WEBERS - 24 on the highway - 12 or less when really driving hard. I was pretty surprised at the highway MPG, with an S you really have to keep the revs up, or it starts loading up on fuel (sputtering, coughing). I am about to drop $1600 on carb re-build. I am still wondering if a 3.2 with FI would be a better idea?????
carr914
My 2.5 Twin-Plug that i used to have would get close to 30 mpg on the way to Sebring - once I hit the track that would go down to about 10

And this was with an X 5th Gear
Root_Werks
Not sure I've ever seen any 911 or 914-6 with a carb'd engine that got much better than mid teens for mpg.

I had a 2.7CIS 911 that scored mid 20's with normal commute driving.
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 13 2011, 04:27 PM) *

My 2.5 Twin-Plug that i used to have would get close to 30 mpg on the way to Sebring - once I hit the track that would go down to about 10

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 13 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Not sure I've ever seen any 911 or 914-6 with a carb'd engine that got much better than mid teens for mpg.

Dan, my car was Carb'd - I was amazed at the mileage
campbellcj
Florida is awfully flat... In my old 2.2E MFI I think I got low 20's on a few highway drives but more like 16 around town.
r_towle
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 13 2011, 08:02 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 13 2011, 04:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jul 13 2011, 04:58 PM) *

Dan, my car was Carb'd - I was amazed at the mileage

That was back when he was smoke.gif and doing his math at the same time.

Rich
Cairo94507
My last six, which had a CSI 3.0 regularly got in the mid-twenties, but more importantly got at least 1,000 smiles-per-mile from me as I drove it. biggrin.gif
campbellcj
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 14 2011, 05:53 AM) *

more importantly got at least 1,000 smiles-per-mile from me as I drove it. biggrin.gif

Bingo...that's why most of us don't really care about the mileage! driving.gif
Twise
"SMILES PER MILE" I like that...

There is a note my car hits at about 4800rpm in second gear that shoots right through your ear canal and goes straight through your family jewels and exits through your right foot into the accelerator pedal. It is a powerful feeling..

I would pay for that feeling if it cost $100 a pop...
GeorgeRud
Yeah, the sound of a carbed -6 while going through a tunnel or a long underpass more than makes up for any loss of gas mileage!
patssle
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jul 14 2011, 05:32 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jul 14 2011, 05:53 AM) *

more importantly got at least 1,000 smiles-per-mile from me as I drove it. biggrin.gif

Bingo...that's why most of us don't really care about the mileage! driving.gif

My 914 carbs 14 mpg (city) was happily being driven when gas was close to $4. My 28 mpg Mazda 3 was in the driveway.

Life's too short to worry about MPG when it comes to classic cars!
Al Meredith
My Son took the 99 Boxter 2.5 to the "Tail of the Dragon" from Atlanta last weekend and went 340 miles . 25 MPG combined cruising but mostly mountain roads.
maxwelj
Mine when new would regularly get high 20s on the autobahn. 400 miles to the tank made for nice long runs between stops( depending on my bladder)
dion9146
Like I tell my co-workers who all drive M5's and AMGs....I drive my Jetta TDI that has gotten 50 mpg for the last 6 years, so I can drive my 914-6 like I don't care about gas mileage. wink.gif
Eric_Shea
I never got much over 19 mpg in my bone stock six.
brant
I wore out a 2.0/6 motor that got about 5mpg from its very first drop of gas till its last.

(100 hours of use at that rate)

were running 4gallons per a 20 minute session currently on the new 2liter that replaced it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.