Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914club.com cap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scruz914
Did I see a 914world.com cap in the stands at the Giants vs. Dodgers game tonight? Too quick of a glance to be sure. Blue cap with white piping.

Go Giants. Beat LA!!!!!

-Jeff
wheelo
Wish it was me.... alas...no tix...or hat !

Go Giants .... Beat EVERYONE !

spank.gif
Jenny
I was at the Dodgers/Yankees game last weekend with my blue 914club hat on. cool_shades.gif Didn't get spotted though...

Oh, Giants suck. Namely Bonds. smash.gif

Jen
Joe Bob
Got Dodger Tixs for the Angel game on Friday....Giants suck.....

BTW.....Las Vegas Sunday-Wednesday, via Palm Springs and Granma's 90th b-day..... beer.gif .
VegasRacer
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 23 2004, 06:43 AM)
BTW.....Las Vegas Sunday-Wednesday

Mike - Give me a call when you are in town.
We can get thrown out of a few places. beer3.gif bootyshake.gif
Carl
Oh, Giants suck. Namely Bonds.  

Yeah, right "Giants suck". Only 'cuz they're WINNING

Go Giants
fiid
Am I right that baseball is like the only sport left that has like no drug testing?? and bonds is basically good because he's chemically enhanced?

bs.gif

I'd rather watch a rugby match any night of the week - no drugs - no pads - real sport.
Andyrew
Heck, I'd rather watch F1....

Im not much of a sports person, Last time I watched a game was..

um...

Never?

I'll play any sports, but watching is boring to me..

Andrew
Joe Bob
Giants still suck....BFD, 1/2 game ahead of the Dodgers.

BTW....Don't Rugby players eat their dead?
Jenny
I got into baseball about 2 years ago. Brian watches it. It's pretty pointless to try to do anything else if ESPN is on at home. We go to A's games together, and I think they have a pretty good ball club. They're young and they look like they're having fun. Brian grew up in LA, so he's a Dodger fan by nature.

We don't like the Giants because of players like Bonds (does he do ANY charity work? I know he's the only player to have an agreement with MLB that says they can't sell anything with his name on it. $ grubber... headbang.gif

Let's go Oakland!!

flame on! biggrin.gif

Jen
fiid
Some F1 races are fantastic. As a general rule I don't watch them if Schumacher wins. There is definately some discrepancy on rule enforcement - for example - in the Indy race last weekend - Schumie took a pit stop and then managed to get out in pole position - under the safety car, where there is supposed to be no passing. Very dodgy. And at the same time Williams got black flagged for some odd violation involving the use of the spare car and the switchover.

I watched the indy race because 11/20 cars did not finish :-) and there were some pretty damned spectacular crashes.

What is really nice to watch is the WRC. Over the course of a rally weekend the field can vary significantly, and the TV footage is distilled from a much larger body of road time. Even in a year where the WRC is dominated by one team or driver, the competition is still much less predictable and is still exciting to watch.

I do enjoy the odd baseball game (I only watch them when I end up in the stadium - which works out to be about once every 2 years), but the surrounding entertainment is usually more exciting than the game, and you are only watching one game in like 7 so it's quite rare that it actually counts for very much. The drug usage thing makes it less appealing still.
richardL
I thought it pretty suspicious that Schumacher got into the pits and out again still ahead.

However, as Sato explained, he didn't pit and came onto the main straight which was so covered in debris that he effectively had to stop and then weave his way through. So it was one of those rare occasions where the pit lane speed (100kph) was actually higher than the track speed.

I find Schuey winning all the time pretty boring, but we are watching a supremely competent operation that will be legendary in the future. They are also lucky.

I agree Montoya should have been stopped from starting immediately or stopped after a few laps, not 60 laps later.

WRC is pretty entertaining. I used to work the old RAC Rally in Wales many years ago and then it was very friendly as well.

Richard
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Jenny @ Jun 23 2004, 10:59 AM)
I know he's the only player to have an agreement with NBA that says they can't sell anything with his name on it. $ grubber... dry.gif )

Let's go Oakland!!

WOW, Barry Bonds now plays in the National Basketball Association? Kewl, which team, cause the Warriors are local and could use a big, strong guy lol2.gif

[QUOTE]Let's go Oakland!!

agree.gif mueba.gif
fiid
QUOTE(richardL @ Jun 23 2004, 10:11 AM)

However, as Sato explained, he didn't pit and came onto the main straight which was so covered in debris that he effectively had to stop and then weave his way through. So it was one of those rare occasions where the pit lane speed (100kph) was actually higher than the track speed.

I find Schuey winning all the time pretty boring, but we are watching a supremely competent operation that will be legendary in the future. They are also lucky.

Sato's explanation is quite valid - it is entirely possible that the pit lane speed was higher than the track speed at that point.

Re: Ferarri/Schuey being legendary - I think that's just the kicker. I think Schuey did a couple of things a few years ago that weren't all that cool, but these days the team is dominant because they are on top of their shit and are very consistent. It's boring to watch, but at the same time it is awesome. IMHO one has to respect that at the end of the day.

It's kind of a bummer that we don't know more about what they are actually doing behind the scenes to pull it off!

I apologise for the major thread hijacking :-)
Jenny
QUOTE(Scott Carlberg @ Jun 23 2004, 12:45 PM)

WOW, Barry Bonds now plays in the National Basketball Association? Kewl, which team, cause the Warriors are local and could use a big, strong guy lol2.gif

Okay, edited. Major League Baseball. Bonds can't play basketball. Are you kidding me? He can barely walk.

Jen
Carl
bonds is basically good because he's chemically enhanced?

I don't think that's true at all. Bonds claims he's not taken enhancement drugs and I find that tough to believe. However, hitting, especially at his level, requires much more than body strength. The ability to "see" the ball, timing, coordination, body position, anticipation, and resistance to situational pressure. To write off his exceptional ability as being purely drug induced ignores all the other requirements of his achievements.

If drugs were the only issue, why weren't Mark McQuire and Jose Canseco as successful as Bonds?

When have you seen a single player who changes the game as much as Bonds? And there have been no other hitters who are so thoroughly feared by opponents. Watch Jim Tracy tonight to see how many times he walks Bonds. How many times has he been intentionally walked this year? It's more than 50. It's more than some entire teams.

does he do ANY charity work?

This is a valid point. He certainly could use his position and fame to do a lot of good. He's done very little of that and it's fair to question why.

He doesn't even run for the ball. He's a horrible fielder.

It's true he doesn't make plays like he used to. On the other hand, he's 40 years old and he's playing every day. He works hard at physical conditioning year around. He does run for the ball and he's not a horrible fielder by any stretch. I wonder why you dislike him so much.

Pac Bell charges so much money for everything, you have to be loaded to enjoy one of their games, tasty beverages, garlic fries, or parking spot, for that matter

Peter McGowan hasn't released the Giants financial statements so those details are unknown but PacBell Park ("SBC Park" REALLY sucks) is the only privately funded baseball stadium in recent years. It shouldn't be a surprise that the prices are high. If you go to the game, pick up TOGO's to take to the park.

Baseball is a reflection of life. It needs to get itself off drugs and clean up its act. Despite that, Bonds is a remarkable talent and it's fun to watch the records fall as he works through the final years of his career.

Carl
Joe Bob
I just hate him because he's a Giant..... mad.gif
Carl
QUOTE(mikez @ Jun 23 2004, 05:38 PM)
I just hate him because he's a Giant..... mad.gif

That's a purely respectible position. Tommy Lasorda did the same to me as the guy you loved to hate.
MattR
Im sorry, the Giants have who? Barry Bonds. yes. then Marquis Grisson? Comeon, you're gonna have to do better then that Giants Fans. They have one pitcher, Schmidt, and dont think for a SECOND that dodger reject Matt Herges is any good.

Ive been to 7 dodger games this year so far, and Ive been going my whole life (literally). Of the last three or four years, I have to say this is the best dodger team assembled in that time. With the addition of Milton Bradley (yes I was at the game where he went crazy) and some team chemistry I think they have a viable contender for the west. Hell, the only team that can stand in their way is the Padres.

And I favor the Angles to win the AL (and Im not saying that becuase Im a socal native). Damn Yankees.
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Carl @ Jun 23 2004, 06:35 PM)
bonds is basically good because he's chemically enhanced?

I don't think that's true at all. Bonds claims he's not taken enhancement drugs and I find that tough to believe. However, hitting, especially at his level, requires much more than body strength. The ability to "see" the ball, timing, coordination, body position, anticipation, and resistance to situational pressure. To write off his exceptional ability as being purely drug induced ignores all the other requirements of his achievements.

If drugs were the only issue, why weren't Mark McQuire and Jose Canseco as successful as Bonds?

When have you seen a single player who changes the game as much as Bonds? And there have been no other hitters who are so thoroughly feared by opponents. Watch Jim Tracy tonight to see how many times he walks Bonds. How many times has he been intentionally walked this year? It's more than 50. It's more than some entire teams.

He doesn't even run for the ball. He's a horrible fielder.

It's true he doesn't make plays like he used to. On the other hand, he's 40 years old and he's playing every day. He works hard at physical conditioning year around. He does run for the ball and he's not a horrible fielder by any stretch. I wonder why you dislike him so much.

If you go to the game, pick up TOGO's to take to the park.

Baseball is a reflection of life. It needs to get itself off drugs and clean up its act. Despite that, Bonds is a remarkable talent and it's fun to watch the records fall as he works through the final years of his career.

Carl

Those are great points Carl, my thoughts almost exactly.

As an A's fan and naturally a Giant-hater (oops, can't forget hating those forty-whiners either) laugh.gif

I do like watching Bonds play, even when he's intentionally walked 4x in a game, how Crappy must THAT be?

People keep talking about his long home runs must be because of steriods, but his HR aren't hit anything further than anyone else's.
Barry just hits them much more frequently.

It takes a great amount of skill/practice/timing etc to hit the ball as well as he does, steriods, or the big muscles that they can create, don't do all that.

As for his fielding, fans seem to forget Barry has about 6 or 7 Gold Gloves, the end of the year award for fielding. There's no doubt that his age affects his fielding a great deal, baseball fans would sure like it to NOT affect his hustling though.

Barry also grew up in the game, much like Ken Griffey Jr, Barry's father was a very successful player, and his god-father, Willie Mays is arguably one of the three Greatest players of all time. With ALL that knowledge growing up, it would be pretty tough not to be great at it.

914 Content: Think of it this way.... IF someone like Rich Bontempi was your dad, and you grew up IN & AT High Performance House, you'd prolly know somethings about 914s, well, YOU would, probably not me! wacko.gif

Togo's: thanks for the reminder Carl, going to the A's - Giants game on Fri nite in Oakland, must stop at Togo's on the way.
Jenny
Looks like we're going to the game Friday as well. biggrin.gif

Jen
Scott Carlberg
my buddy Cecil & I will be up in Section 212, above 1st base.
fiid
QUOTE(Carl @ Jun 23 2004, 05:35 PM)

Sir,

You make a very balanced and reasonable argument. Kudos to you.

I wish to add that the only thing I have against the Dodgers is that their stadium is at the top of a hill, which I had to ride a bicycle up the friday before last, and I really didn't need that kind of abuse in the last 2 miles of a 585 mile trip. Bastards.

boldblue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.