Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MassTeener
confused24.gif WTF.gif So I'm on CL looking for a Subaru for my wife. After a few days I get selfish, and being the car guy that I am type in Porsche.
Bingo, 914 no rust(yeah) only 45 minutes away...
Like I need another, but I send a message with my number.
Bob calls and tells me about the car, off the road since 86 and very solid, but...
The owner(Bob's the property manager) was getting divorsed and didn't want the soon to be x get the car, so he took the VIN plates off the car and mangles the stamp on the inner pass fender, then dies two years later!
So Bob is selling the car as "parts" without title, but I find an old reg under the carpets and have a VIN!
So I tell my wife, don't worry(4 Porsche's- 1 running & reg'd) that number 5 is just a quick turn for some extra$$$$, but
Take a look at the pictures and give me your thoughts. The car is super solid and very complete. Bob took the carpets & fuel tank out( thought he was going to get it running) but I have everything.
Decent respray as the front hood got mangled when something fell on it. The original was still in the garage!!
The car has tons of great parts and it's take a few trips to DMV to get a title so I don't know if I could part it out. The long's are in great shape as are the suspension mount!
So....what would you do : confused24.gif
moparrob
Now you KNOW there is no way this board is going to suggest you part out anything so clean.

I say flip it to a member who is looking for a good project. Otherwise, get the title cleaned up yourself and make a good profit on it.

Either way it is good kar karma. biggrin.gif
MassTeener
More pics ,

Kool wheels!
tod914
Too nice to part out. Get it running or sell it to someone who will. Nice score!
MassTeener
Nice dash, no cracks!
jonferns
Nice car! But check the longs for rust, its a north-east car so I wouldn't be so sure about it being "rust free". Good luck bye1.gif
MassTeener
QUOTE(moparrob @ Jul 11 2011, 10:35 PM) *

Now you KNOW there is no way this board is going to suggest you part out anything so clean.

I say flip it to a member who is looking for a good project. Otherwise, get the title cleaned up yourself and make a good profit on it.

Either way it is good kar karma. biggrin.gif

My other 71 which I got from SoCal is stripped down and waiting for me to paint it. Built a 1911 with one of Dema's cams and some BugPatch heads. Already moved it out to take a good look at this one smile.gif
I'll let you guy's know about DMV, I want to keep the original VIN.
BTW # 4712901047
914itis
I will buy it.
MassTeener
QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jul 11 2011, 10:44 PM) *

Nice car! But check the longs for rust, its a north-east car so I wouldn't be so sure about it being "rust free". Good luck bye1.gif

Been under and in the wheel well sofar...
Dang floorboards looks as good as my SoCal car from Sacramento!
Mr.242
Keep the original VIN, it will be worth it. You may have a weird VIN plate attached by the State Police, but HEY it gets your car legal!

It's not like it's a super special collector and the story makes this car special on it's own.

If you sell it, I think it should go to someone who's been divorced themselves and possibly lost a car to their EX. It would be cool for them to get another to drive around.

my .02 worth

Cool find
RFoulds
Get the clear title, clean it up and flip it.

Am I misssing something? How does removing VIN plates keep an asset out of a divorce settlement?? Story sounds fishy to me.

barada
Part it!!

I need the drivers seat and door panels :^)
I would either rebuild it or pass it to someone who would, after you sell me that drivers seat of course.

Phillip
flipb
Guessing based on condition & the story that the ODO is accurate... 40K original miles?

JmuRiz
You should give me that front valence, that's what you should do smile.gif Always liked those.
r_towle
post s a pic of the inner fender vin stamping.

How hard did he work to remove that?
Can you bring that stamped part back with a proper acid treatment?

Rich
anderssj
Very cool! (and not just because it looks like my car's older brother [Irish Green, tan interior, American Racing LeMans wheels with black centers]).

Click to view attachment

Looking forward to hearing your plans/decision!

Steve A-
MassTeener
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2011, 05:16 PM) *

Rich

Hi Rich,

Looks like he used a Dremel?? The VIN is 4712901047 and as you can see most of it is still there. Can you detail the "acid etch" process as I've never done it...always just put it on my tongue wacko.gif

I'll pull the rockers soon and get some pic's up...really solid car!
r_towle
QUOTE(MassTeener @ Jul 12 2011, 09:07 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2011, 05:16 PM) *

Rich

Hi Rich,

Looks like he used a Dremel?? The VIN is 4712901047 and as you can see most of it is still there. Can you detail the "acid etch" process as I've never done it...always just put it on my tongue wacko.gif

I'll pull the rockers soon and get some pic's up...really solid car!

Where are you located?
Buy the car...use the previous registration and a bill of sale to get a title in MA for the car...simple.
It should be titled with the proper vin number.

If the car was previously titled in MA, you need to apply for a lost title in the original owners name.
That title costs $25 bucks.
It will ONLY be mailed to the original address on the original title.
If he has moved, he needs to go to the registry in person to apply for the title with a new address.
If he has not moved, apply for him, pay for it and get it expidited (a fee of course) and then call him daily after about 10 days to see when it shows up.
Call daily...keep on him.

Then he can sign over the title to you.
If its out of MA....no problems.
Previous registration and bill of sale and money will get you a title.
Do that first...dont wait till you fixed up everything...get the title sorted out.

Summary, buy the car cheap...do some paperwork and then invest in parts etc.
Sell it.
If you are nearby, I can help ort out the other issues.
PM me.

RIch
hot_shoe914
I don't know about you, but if it were my car I'd give it to some fat guy here on the board. I believe they call him Shoe. confused24.gif
cantgo2fast
How much would you want for it running/not running MA is a LONG way for me but a rust free car would be the perfect starting place.
sixnotfour
Better hope the X isnt the registered Owner.
great Car hopr you can work it out.
I have 2 1/2 irish green 914's
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
6freak
Irish Green,

nooo
That cant be what a factory color would be called...or is it smile.gif
tradisrad
Nice find.
The car I currently have was off of the road for about the same about of time and it had no rust.

I really like the tan interior in the Irish green cars and I wish mine had it. (vulture time: if you buy it and part it I'll buy the interior)

Get the car, figure out the issues with reg, get it running and keep it. I don't think you will ever regret it.
Click to view attachment
tomeric914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 12 2011, 10:41 PM) *

Buy the car...use the previous registration and a bill of sale to get a title in MA for the car...simple.
It should be titled with the proper vin number.

If the car was previously titled in MA, you need to apply for a lost title in the original owners name.
That title costs $25 bucks.
It will ONLY be mailed to the original address on the original title.
If he has moved, he needs to go to the registry in person to apply for the title with a new address.
If he has not moved, apply for him, pay for it and get it expidited (a fee of course) and then call him daily after about 10 days to see when it shows up.
Call daily...keep on him.

Then he can sign over the title to you.
If its out of MA....no problems.
Previous registration and bill of sale and money will get you a title.

The original owner died. Tough to keep on him...

The OP mentioned a "Property Manager", is that the same as the Executor of the deceased's estate or is that his former landlord?

I went through something similar many years ago where the previous owner had died and his mother was the Executrix of the estate. Even with the title in hand, it took us exactly a year to get the title signed over to me.

You may want to seek Legal counsel on how to proceed without involving his former spouse.
r_towle
Executrix or Executor can sign the title.
You need a copy of the death certificate and a copy of the the Executrix paperwork to take to the registry.
Execuitrx signs the title in their name....along with the paperwork its fine.
Just did this, in MA...they have a process...not hard.

Once again, of the car was registered outside of MA...its a whole lot simpler.
Previous registration and a bill of sale is all you need.

Rich
MassTeener
QUOTE(barada @ Jul 12 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Part it!!

I would either rebuild it or pass it to someone who would, after you sell me that drivers seat of course.

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I have a black drivers seat from another car, but you need tan????
sixnotfour
Irish Green,

nooo
That cant be what a factory color would be called...or is it

British racing green would be better ? ar15.gif slap.gif

Keep it whole, even if you have to give the X some $$ looks like a solid car.
Are divorce settlements Public docs ? if so See if it is his or hers. Shouldnt the caretaker have a copy ?
barada
QUOTE(MassTeener @ Jul 13 2011, 04:33 PM) *

QUOTE(barada @ Jul 12 2011, 03:36 PM) *

Part it!!

Phillip

Hi Phillip,

I have a black drivers seat from another car, but you need tan????

Yeah need tan, have though of switching to black a few times but figure I will hold out.
MassTeener
QUOTE(flipb @ Jul 12 2011, 04:06 PM) *

Guessing based on condition & the story that the ODO is accurate... 40K original miles?

Maybe????
I had to go out of town for a week so she's waiting for me....
Can't wait to play with the "X"!
MassTeener
QUOTE(tradisrad @ Jul 13 2011, 10:20 AM) *

Nice find.
The car I currently have was off of the road for about the same about of time and it had no rust.

I really like the tan interior in the Irish green cars and I wish mine had it. (vulture time: if you buy it and part it I'll buy the interior)

Get the car, figure out the issues with reg, get it running and keep it. I don't think you will ever regret it.
Click to view attachment

Boy, your car really looks great with the smaller tires and lowered! Mine has some BIG Michelins!
914_teener

Boy, your car really looks great with the smaller tires and lowered! Mine has some BIG Michelins!
[/quote]

Yea.....I was looking at that too. I think the air dam helps that look though. I have 205's on mine. That lowered profile looks kinda cool as well with those tires.

The story of the divorce and the ground numbers though...kind of strange...but oh well...having been through one....strange things do happen.

Nice car.
MassTeener
So I finally got around to pulling the wheels and freeing the brakes that have been off the road since 1986. I'm sure a caliper rebuild front and back is due.

Started to rotate the motor with one rear wheel planted and hit a snag sad.gif
Pulled the rotor and it rotates about 180 degrees then stops. I don't want to push it(maybe something stupid) and didn't have time tonight to pull the valve covers to see what the rockers are doing. I didn't notice anything else that could be hung up....
Maybe a valve stuck? Could I pop the valve spring/head with a mallett to free it up?
Hope that's it?????
rick 918-S
If it's a stuck valve pull the engine and get the top end rebuilt. If you think your going to free up a valve by banging on it you in for a big disappointment. A top end rebuild should make it good to go.

If your wife is on you about another car maybe it's time to make a buck and flip it.
MassTeener
Just hoping to get her going without any major engine work, even though that might not be realistic! I can hope, yes??
Smitty911
With the title issue, wouldn't it be easier to do a Mechanics Lien? If the original owner passed away and traceablity is shakey, I'd go the path of least resistance.

Smitty
tradisrad
When I took my car to the CA DMV they did not even look at the stamped VIN # on the fender. And I am glad because mine has an extra "0" stamped on it. It is out of place and definately was done at the factory. All I needed was a bill of sale and a certificate of non-op and off of the road storage. Waiting in line was harder than the inspection.
914itis
QUOTE(esses62 @ Jul 12 2011, 09:56 PM) *

QUOTE(ppetion @ Jul 11 2011, 10:47 PM) *

I will buy it.

Sell it to Paul assimilate.gif

Scott,

I know, it will be closer to you, right? do you need any parts?
MassTeener
Making progress with the DMV, just a little wait now....

Until then I thought I'd shoot it "topless" beerchug.gif
MassTeener
More "topless"
MassTeener
beer3.gif
tradisrad
Looking good. I used a product called TR3 to buff the paint out and it really helped to remove the oxidation. It's hard to tell from the pictures if you need it, but maybe it will work well for you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.