Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '71 914/6 valuation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rav914
I know, these threads are as common as the sunrise, however....tell me if my offer is fair.

A neighbor of mine has a '71 914/6. It has been sitting on jacks for at least 15 years. It's original, complete and stripped down ready for paint. No rust, motor disassembled, steelies, Ivory/black, plus it's a '71 - rare.

I've been politely asking him if he wants to sell for a few years but have not offered a price. He kindly defers, saying "Maybe next year". First person to state a number loses right? Well I want the car as a project and am willing to put a price out there regardless. I was thinking of $15K (If that doesn't work I'll offer up my silver/red '74 911S as a trade. I'm selling the car anyway.)

I know it needs just about everything, I'm thinking $25K more through the next few years. Does $15K sound about right?

Thanks,
Nate
carr914
I would say that $15k would be High for a Project

You will have to budget for the Following

$5,000 for Paint
$2,000 for Bodywork - you said no Rust, but I would think it would need something
$5-10,000 for Engine & Tranny Rebuild
$2-3,000 on Interior?
$700-1,000 for PMB Rebuilt Brakes
$1-1,500 for Wheels & Tires to replace the Steelies

So that's about $22k without buying wierd parts and this would get you in Today's Market a $35k car

Depending on the condition of the 74S, I'd trade him
SirAndy
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 12 2011, 10:36 AM) *
I would say that $15k would be High for a Project

agree.gif
I think $15k is on the high end for a non running project.

Make sure it's really all numbers matching and there's no nasty surprise in the floorboards or longs.

That reminds me, i need to get going on my /6 ...
rolleyes.gif
Rav914
Copy. Thanks for the inputs, that helps.

Nate
RFoulds
QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 12 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Nate

There is a similar car on E Bay right now. numbers matching 6 project. Bidding is already over $16k, with 7 days to go. Its hard to believe, but I think even a basket case original 6 is now worth $20k.
Drums66
......I agree with the cats above...not economically viable? idea.gif
flag.gif (but what real six is??)putting 1 together?
bye1.gif
RFoulds
Buying a project, restoring or rebuilding it, and then trying to sell at a profit isn't the way to value this car, though.
If you get it for $15k, how much do you have to spend before it is drivable? $5-10k maybe?
Then having a driver grade -6 for under $25k would be a decent deal right now. If values keep climbing, and you restore as you go, you could be driving and enjoying a $50k car before long.
Drums66
.....Remember you're looking waaaaaaay down the road??.....do you have
the patience for this undertaking....so many factors play into this purchase? idea.gif for example wife&ducats?
bye1.gif(if you're single way cool)
Spoke
Pretty amazing how much one can put into an original 914/6. Matching numbers would be a necessity.

I love the 914's but with that kind of cash, you could buy a rocketship of a (turn-key: turn the key and drive like hell) 911. I paid less than $20K for my zero rust original '86 turbo.
Rav914
Yeah I understand all the angles. Not looking to squeeze any money out of this one. I've had a number of other cars and a /6 is the only Porsche left I really want. I do almost all of my own work except for machining (sixnotfour) and calipers (PMB), so I could get it on the road for a reasonable cost.

I could probably buy an early 930 for the money, a brilliant 911SC, 3.2 Carrera or even a 964, but hey, life is short.....

Thanks,
Nate
carr914
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 12 2011, 03:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Rav914 @ Jul 12 2011, 12:11 PM) *

Nate

There is a similar car on E Bay right now. numbers matching 6 project. Bidding is already over $16k, with 7 days to go. Its hard to believe, but I think even a basket case original 6 is now worth $20k.

I disagree - the eBay car is a running, driving car that might be a Detail job away from being a good driver

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 12 2011, 05:04 PM) *

\
If you get it for $15k, how much do you have to spend before it is drivable? $5-10k maybe?
Then having a driver grade -6 for under $25k would be a decent deal right now. If values keep climbing, and you restore as you go, you could be driving and enjoying a $50k car before long.

Again I disagree - there is No Way that you can paint & build an engine for a -6 for under $10k, even if you wanted a RatRod. And then you haven't talked Brakes, Tires, Fuel Lines, Gauges, Interior, etc.

A project car is just that and should be priced accordingly
RFoulds
My numbers were assuming he does his own work. Doing your own engine build and refresh of all cosmetics.
racerbvd
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jul 12 2011, 01:49 PM) *

Pretty amazing how much one can put into an original 914/6. Matching numbers would be a necessity.

I love the 914's but with that kind of cash, you could buy a rocketship of a (turn-key: turn the key and drive like hell) 911. I paid less than $20K for my zero rust original '86 turbo.

Boy, do I know that, descent, not great (wrong color) matching # 914-6, $22K, freshen engine & tranny, bare metal (gotta make sure all rot is taken care of) respray back to correct color, freshen int, susp & anything else and after all of that, could have taken the same $$$ currently spent & bought a 993TT wacko.gif
But that wouldn't be a basicly brand new, matching numbers 914-6, would it. See my blog for pix & links..
Well,if you provide me his # I can call and off him 6k for the lot as its a kit car of sorts smile.gif
sixnotfour
29k craigslist 70 not a 71
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2489400259.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.