Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changing rear main seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914fun
Just wanted to know about how long it should take to put in a new rear main seal so I can tell if the shop is putting the screws to me.
Cap'n Krusty
Not more than 3 hours, given the usual stripped axle bolts and such. Be sure they change the flywheel o-ring, too, and replace the lock plate for the flywheel bolts. A really experienced wrench should be able to shave an hour off that without cutting corners or sacrificing quality. Parts should run about 35 bucks, 40 at the outside.

The Cap'n
underthetire
I can do it in 4 hours, but I'm not a shop. Probably less if I really felt like busting my ass. Keep in mind some cars just won't come apart easy if they are rusty.
jonferns
I'll be doing this job this week as well.
914fun
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 12 2011, 09:09 PM) *

Not more than 3 hours, given the usual stripped axle bolts and such. Be sure they change the flywheel o-ring, too, and replace the lock plate for the flywheel bolts. A really experienced wrench should be able to shave an hour off that without cutting corners or sacrificing quality. Parts should run about 35 bucks, 40 at the outside.

The Cap'n

Thanks, I just had a clutch put in about 300 mile ago and they put in all new parts. So do you think I should replace the Flywheel o-ring too or should it be ok since its not old? I have the new seal but will get the o-ring if you think I should.
underthetire
I'd do it. It's a 50 cent part. Why take a chance to have to tear it apart again. And there are good main seals and bad main seals. Learned that one the hard way.
brant
might I also recommend changing the transmission out put seal if you (or someone for you) is already in there.

I find them leaking as often as rear mains and now like to just change them when ever I'm in there.

its probably another 10$ in parts and 15 minutes while your already in there.

brant
76-914
agree.gif and listen to the Cap't re: the flywheel lock plate. acts as a lock washer for those flywheel bolts.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2011, 09:50 PM) *

might I also recommend changing the transmission out put seal if you (or someone for you) is already in there.

I find them leaking as often as rear mains and now like to just change them when ever I'm in there.

brant

You mean the transmission "input" seal, right?

The Cap'n
barada
I am doing this as well this week. Are you going to provide photo's?

Phillip
brant
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2011, 08:20 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 12 2011, 09:50 PM) *

brant

You mean the transmission "input" seal, right?

The Cap'n

Aye! that I do
thanks for the correction
my brain often knows what I'm thinking, but my mouth (and fingers) sometimes struggle to get that thought across.

brant
914fun
Thanks Guys, I ordered the rest of the parts today.
mikea100
Jon,
let me know when you're going to work on it, Ill stop by and help you or just hang out.
Mike

QUOTE(Jon Fernandes @ Jul 12 2011, 10:13 PM) *

I'll be doing this job this week as well.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.