Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tough Choice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Howard
Need some advice here. Have two 914’s. Both are solid 8.5 CA cars. Both done right, all rust obliterated. Each needs a bit of finishing, and I don’t have the resources (financial, time, garage space) to do both. Do I finish:

Suzi: A lovely 73 2.0 FI. Fuchs with racers, American mags with street tires. All the proper suspension bits, cage, 5 point belts, FG hood and bumpers. IMO: captures the true essence of Porsche. Light weight, underpowered, tossable, able to leap tall buildings on canyon roads and shorter tracks.

Moby: Awesome, if somewhat overdone widebody. New stock 350 Chev with spare ‘hot rod’ 305. Scary fast, cage, 5 point, 245/50 fronts 265/50 rears. Requires a bit more muscle to drive. IMO: Sounds great, attracts attention from Porsche types, Hotrodders, Harleys, Highway Patrol. Stop car, get audience, answer questions, instant celebrity. Does not like the track, so strictly street car.

Which would you rather have in your garage?
[URL=http://www.thehowardagency/914-8 128.jpg]My Webpage[/URL]
Howard
Guess picture didn't want to make it that way
Mueller
sell Suzi, but before you do that, take the skateboard ramp off of Moby and do a rear trunk switch smile.gif smash.gif

I guess it really depends on if you plan on going to track anymore...the V8 can be made to handle very well on the track, it'll just take a little more time/money.....

Since I want a V8 car one of these days, that is what I'd keep.........

tough call.............
tat2dphreak
sell moby, use the money to cure the "lack of power" in Suzi!
cha914
I don't like any of the poll choices...if you are thinking about getting an elise, then I would sell Suzi, keep moby and buy an elise.

The elise is now your underpowered tossable track whore, and moby is your balls out 914 hotrod street car...

good luck...I wish I had your problems tongue.gif

Tony
J P Stein
The boxster is under powered. The Elise certainly isn't. I'd have an Elise in a heart beat iff'n I could afford one.
fiid
Finish Moby. Why doesn't it like the track???????????? I'd fix that. It'll cost you less than elise and will probably be faster when you are done.

Fiid.
SLITS
Ditch the Dick, Store Suzi and continue playing with yourself - it's safer laugh.gif
mike_the_man
Ditch the whale tail on Moby and keep it. A V8 car sounds like way too much fun! Although, an elise would be pretty awesome too. If you could keep Moby and buy an Elise, that would be the way to go. Of course, I would have to hate you! biggrin.gif
Andyrew
Finish Moby, get rid of the whale so everyone stops hounding you..

Why cant you finish Both Moby AND Suzi?

I always figured that a V8 914 would be the ultimate track car.. Why doesnt it like the track?

Oh, and I agree with Both Mikes..

v8's are da coolest. Period.

Andrew
skline
That is a tough choice, I have driven Suzy and she runs very well and a great track car. However, the fact that she has fiberglass hood and bumpers throws you into race class and she is lacking power for that. Moby, being a V8 car, will always be worth more than Suzy and as said before, you can fix it to handle better on the track. I think I would keep Moby and sell Suzy. Someone would get a nice start for a track car with her and I am sure someone on the club board would buy her. She does handle very well, I beat Dave Darlings times in the AX with her and I am a newbie in AX. I would say that says something about the car. Well, maybe a little about the driver.
StratPlayer
If you decide to sell either get in touch with me, a guy called me tonight looking for a 914 that doesn't need much work . He's willing to travel to get the car. Would be deeply appreciated. Thanks
Howard
Thanks for all the advice. Still pondering.

V8 handling: Lots of opinions on this, but there's a reason the good Dr. liked the opposed config.. low CG. The weight mass is carried higher on the V8, so unless you go with a different transaxle and/or dry sump to lower the mass, it won't handle esses like a stock 914. Sorry, all you guys with V8's in progress. You will have to make the car pretty stiff to handle the track. IMO too stiff for street use.

Whale tail: The more you guys piss and moan, the better I like it. Besides it wouldn't be Moby Dick w/o the tail.

Elise and Moby Dick: I'd love to. Could you see your way clear to get me a Lambo too?

StratPlayer: One will be sold. I'm thinking 12.5k on Moby and 7.5k on Suzi. Subject to change at the drop of a hat. Have lots of specs and pics on both so let me know.

Slits: Stick to poetry finger.gif

Scott: It was the car lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.