Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quick, please help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MadeRight
Folks,
Can a 75 Bumper fit on a 74? Also, can a painted bumper be chromed, or a chromed bumper be re-chromed? Where can someone get something like that done?

Thanks,
Jeff Bonanno
75 and 76 bumpers are much heavier and were attached using bumper shocks which go through a ~2 inch hole in the front and back. those holes are spaced closer and are in no way suitable for mounting an earlier bumper. likewise, the earlier bumpers mounted with through bolts (2 per corner) and the body probably won't have the 2" holes for the shocks. most people try to go with the earlier, lighter bumpers (i just did this retrofit)

jbb
mike_the_man
I'm sure you could make a 75 bumper fit on a 74, but it would take some fabrication, probably. The 75 uses shocks to mount the bumper. If you didn't use them, you could probably build a bracket and bolt it on. The 75 bumper is supposed to be a fair bit heavier than the earlier bumpers, so something to consider.

As far as chroming goes, I'm sure if the paint was stripped off, chroming wouldn't be a problem, and re-chroming shouldn't be an issue either. I think it's pretty pricey to get something chromed though.
MadeRight
QUOTE(Jeff Bonanno @ Jun 23 2004, 11:06 AM)
75 and 76 bumpers are much heavier and were attached using bumper shocks which go through a ~2 inch hole in the front and back. those holes are spaced closer and are in no way suitable for mounting an earlier bumper. likewise, the earlier bumpers mounted with through bolts (2 per corner) and the body probably won't have the 2" holes for the shocks. most people try to go with the earlier, lighter bumpers (i just did this retrofit)

jbb

It really looks just like my 74 bumper - just a different color. I am having a hard time finding one otherwise.

Thanks,
mike_the_man
It's not a 75 bumper then. In 75 Porsche changed over to heavy rubber bumpers with shocks in them to meet North American crash standards. If it looks like your bumper, then it shouldn't be a problem to bolt it on. I think that all of the early bumpers were all the same.

Do you have any pics? We could tell you for sure.
MadeRight
I am .... a dumbass.
I just looked at the bumper in question and it is a 73 bumper, not a 75. Can that work?

Thanks,
seanery
This is a good example of an early early bumper. In 73 these same bumpers had 'tits' on them.
IPB Image

This is an early rear (in 74 this bumper got 'tits')
IPB Image

76 front bumper (with fogs)
IPB Image

75/76 rear
IPB Image

I hope this helps see the differences.
MadeRight
QUOTE(seanery @ Jun 23 2004, 11:17 AM)
This is a good example of an early early bumper. In 73 these same bumpers had 'tits' on them...

This is an early rear (in 74 this bumper got 'tits'

I hope this helps see the differences.

Thanks. I think I will get this bumper then. the only problem is that mine is chrome and the one in question is black. Perhaps it won't look too bad? Anyway, my "tits" as you call them are a bit lopsided - I need a new passenger rear. Anyone have any extras they can give up? I am having a hard time finding them other than at PartWerks which others on other lists have scared me away from doing business with.

Thanks,
seanery
Call HPH
High Performance House

and ask for Brad or Rich. They have tons of that stuff.
mike_the_man
A 73 bumper shouldn't be a problem. It will have the same mounting points as your currnent one.
maf914
The Euro 75-76 rubber bumpers were mounted without shocks. The bolted to the body using rubber dogbones and a bracket attached to the metal beam under the rubber bumper cover. The Haynes manual has pictures of this.
Bill Shaw
I just got my '74 bumpers back from the chromer. They were originally painted and had the rubber tits on them. I had the 4 holes for the tits filled in by a metal shop (I hated the look of the rubber tits, and figured that, unless I hit a flat wall head or tail-on, they weren't going to be much good anyway) and then sent them to the chromer. They came back looking like brand new '70-'72 ones. The chromer told me that the main problem with chroming older bumpers was rust, so clean, clean, clean before you send them in. They can do a lot, but it can cost a lot if they do the work. Good luck!
MadeRight
QUOTE(Bill Shaw @ Jun 23 2004, 11:58 AM)
I just got my '74 bumpers back from the chromer.... They can do a lot, but it can cost a lot if they do the work. Good luck!

Can you give me some idea what it cost and who you used? Could you just weld over the holes for the tits and then fill it or something, rather than have them do it? Also, where did you get it done?

Thanks,
Bill Shaw
Just used a local shop to weld the holes closed and grind them flush with the bumpers, then sent them to the chromer. I used Brown's Chrome in Nashville to do the chroming on the recommendation of a local motorcycle shop and they did a fantastic job. Couldn't say who's best in your area, but the cycle guys might be able to help. Total cost for both bumpers, including the metal work but not the shipping, was about $350. Considering the result, it was very reasonable, IMHO.
Chris H.
Bill... come on man let's see some pics!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.