Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: high CO emissions on my 914 V8
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
took it there today - they put it on the sniffer - tweaked the carb and distributor a bit - and bam - about halved my HC (443) and CO (731) numbers according to their machine.

took it to dmv - but all lines were 10 cars deep - will try again tomorrow morning.
Drums66
.....Cool to find a shop with those results! flag.gif
bye1.gif
jimkelly
Click to view attachment

after above

i thought for sure i would never pass without some trickery.

guess my 305 sbc is pretty good inside : )

before below
matthepcat
Emissions on a 72?

Dang...I thought CA was strict.
jimkelly
yup - in DE - cars are emissions exempt if they are 1968 or older.

our 914's are all checked for emissions.

almost makes me want to get a tail dragger v8 conversion : )

but now that i know that getting a sbc through emission is absolutley doable - i am no longer seriously considering subaru - whew.

--

QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 14 2011, 09:03 AM) *

Emissions on a 72?

Dang...I thought CA was strict.

Andyrew
600 in HC is a pretty huge tollerance...

If you put in a cat you could probably bring that 290 down to 100...
jimkelly
when i finally gte a proper/quiet exhaust fabbed - i might just do that - as my contribution to cleaner air. can't imagine i'd be giving away too much horsepower.

thanks
jim

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 14 2011, 10:35 AM) *

600 in HC is a pretty huge tollerance...

If you put in a cat you could probably bring that 290 down to 100...

messix
a vacuum gauge and high resolution tachometer can be used to get the idle mixture set to pass smog.

had to do it on my jeep for a couple of years
Mike Bellis
Jim's story amazes me. In California you cannot simply change engines and get it smogged. If you do a swap, the engine must be the same year or newer. You must retain all of the swapped engines smog equipment. You must inform the DMV of the swap and take it to a referee station to have the system verified and smogged as the new engine. Tou then must retain all the equipment and engine for the life of the car and smog test it every other year. You could replace the original engine but must go through the entire process again. The only saving grace is if the car is 1975 or older, you only need to have it smogged to verify the swap. It then is exempt from testing, but not from retaining the equipment.

My swap is not blessed by the DMV. My car is exempt from testing and I did not tell them what I have done. If I ever get cought by a rolling smaog check; I'm busted. Overall with my EFI the car will run cleaner. But that does not suffice in California. There are just too many cars here not to have smog requirements.

At some point every state will have some sort of law for smog. I wish it was only an exhaust particulate test. Here they also do a visual to confirm everything is there. Test the gas cap for leaks. Put the car on a simple dynometer to test emmissions under loads. Pain in the ass. If your car is older than 1995 you must also pay an extra $30 for an EVAP test. If you show up with the check engine light on for ANY reason you fail the test.

I might have to move to Texas.
SLITS
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 16 2011, 10:30 PM) *

I might have to move to Texas.

You'll be sorry!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.