Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS Heat Exchanger Install question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RustyWa
I'm assuming no washers are needed with these nuts?

Also, is it common practice to take a file to the inlets of the SS heat exchanger tubes before installation? I don't have a large file, so just wondering if I need/should buy one.

Any other recommendations are welcome.
ChrisReale
I dont think you need washers, but I put some on mine just for shits and giggles. Sandpaper on a cutting board works the same as a file. Color the tops of the exchangers with a sharpie pen, and sand away until its all gone. Torque the nuts to 15lbs, use fresh copper gaskets and RTV high temp silicone. Tighten in a cross pattern, similar to lug nuts on wheels.
Brad Roberts
No washer.

If your installing used SSI's then.. take a large metal file to them. They are however prefectly straight out of out the box.

Make sure you get your old exhaust gaskets out of the heads.

Install the new ones with orange high temp silicon on both sides. This will help hold them into the heads while you place the HE up to them. It will make a mess, but you cant see it and they will be sealed nicely the FIRST time...LOL

B
Bleyseng
Don't tighten the HE nuts down until you install the muffler and hanger. You need to wiggle everything to get it all to fit right. Then tighten all the nuts.
Geoff
Drums66
no washer and no silicone, sealed just fine everytime. one of the best nut's for the job! cool.gif
RustyWa
Thanks everyone!

Were there other companies making SS heat exchangers other than SSI? If so, how can you tell the differences? Yep, mine are used.
SirAndy
QUOTE(RustyWa @ Apr 22 2003, 11:34 AM)
If so, how can you tell the differences? Yep, mine are used.

if they are not cracked on the welds, they are SSI wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Nobody made 914 4cyl 1.7/1.8 and 2.0's SS HE's except SSI.

Andy..they do crack around the U shaped mounting tabs when people overtighten them after ADDING a gasket to the head... ending with 2 of them.

People send them in from time to time to have them re-jigged and welded.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 22 2003, 01:24 PM)
Andy..they do crack around the U shaped mounting tabs when people overtighten them after ADDING a gasket to the head... ending with 2 of them.

i tought that was only when the gasket wasn't placed right ?
Brad Roberts
They can do that also. If the gasket falls out of the head while they are placing them up to the head... they can crush the gasket incorrectly and then overtighten and crack.

Bottom line is: They fit every time if you take your time.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.