Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible new 914 owner + 700 mile drive home tips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1973tii
I'm strongly considering buying my uncle's 914. It's a green 1975 1.8L garaged California car in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition.

We're 700 miles apart and if I got it, I'd fly down and drive it home. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that this car, as lovingly maintained as it is, could demonstrate a gremlin or ten on a long, sustained drive in warm weather. The 914 is currently taken out very infrequently, for short drives.

As knowledgeable 914 owners, what sort of recommendations would you have for this trip (other than a AAA membership -- smile.gif )? A reasonable amount of tools will be carried. Beyond that, should I have a few electro-mechanical switches "in stock", along with a belt, etc, etc...? Any notorious parts that should be carried? I'm competent with the diagnostics/wrenching, but have no experience with these cars and don't know what breaks.

Thanks!
carr914
welcome.png

If I were you, I would rent a Uhaul Trailer to get it home.

Just too many variables on a car that has not been maintained by yourself
hot_shoe914
Belt, clutch cable, accelerator cable, plugs, points, tools, manual and driving.gif that bitch home! Oh yeah, a fuel filter too.

Shoe
reharvey
How old are the tires? When was the last time it was driven more then 20 miles? Lots of things can go wrong on a car the sits in a garage for years no matter how good it looks. Fly there and give the car an inspection then drive it welcome.png around for a few days before heading home.. Good luck! Ray
Haudiosolutions
agree.gif Drive it around and look, feel, listen , and smell for issues once it's warmed up. It's what I did for my four hour journey from Nashville. But the weather was cooler then.... Good luck! it'll be a fun drive
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(1973tii @ Jul 14 2011, 03:20 AM) *

I'm strongly considering buying my uncle's 914. It's a green 1975 1.8L garaged California car in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition.

We're 700 miles apart and if I got it, I'd fly down and drive it home. That said, I have a sneaking suspicion that this car, as lovingly maintained as it is, could demonstrate a gremlin or ten on a long, sustained drive in warm weather. The 914 is currently taken out very infrequently, for short drives.

As knowledgeable 914 owners, what sort of recommendations would you have for this trip (other than a AAA membership -- smile.gif )? A reasonable amount of tools will be carried. Beyond that, should I have a few electro-mechanical switches "in stock", along with a belt, etc, etc...? Any notorious parts that should be carried? I'm competent with the diagnostics/wrenching, but have no experience with these cars and don't know what breaks.

Thanks! Drive it for a few days around town, and highways, 100 miles! No probs? Drive it home! Bob

Cairo94507
What they all said or take it to a 914 familiar shop and get a PPI/service done first. Short of that, I would flatbed it home to be safe. Brakes, fuel lines, tires, etc.
jim_hoyland
Where in So Cal is the car now ? If the '75 is still an L Jet FI, I would check the vac lines, wiring to the dual relay, and wiring to the resistors first. If the cars starts quickly and idles well after the AAR closes, then those items should be OK.

If the car is near Huntington Beach, I have a good mechanic that is services two '75 914s, PM me if you need more info

Good luck with the car.
PeeGreen 914
Give me your 73 Tii and I'll do the trip for you confused24.gif biggrin.gif

First step I would make is get the premium AAA. They just upgraded their service to include 200 miles towing.

Second step I would make is get a list of someone on this board every 100 or 200 miles on your trip. If you have an issue you can be sure there will be someone close that will help.

Third step I would make is go down and lok at the car. Drive it around and make any needed repair before you head out.

Then drive that thing home piratenanner.gif
KELTY360
Find someone on this board who is close to the car to take a look and evaluate it with a long drive in mind. There is lots of assistance available along your route, regardless of whether you're doing I-5 or a coastal route.

I drove my car from Buena Park, CA to Seattle when I bought it 5 years ago. It was a great experience getting acquainted with the car. Sure, there are a lot of things that could go wrong, but you'll not likely face catastrophic failures if you've had it checked out in advance.

Be sure you have a spare fuel pump relay; it's the round one.
1973tii
Thanks guys. After browsing the forum here for a while, I knew there would be some excellent advice.

So, I'm just barely holding on to my youth enough that I want to drive this 914 home and would embrace any mishaps as part of the adventure (I say that now, safely at home). That said, I'll probably coax my uncle into doing some longer drives before picking it up, and ask him to take it to his longtime mechanic for a checkout. Will also upgrade the AAA. Hmmmm, I guess I'm taking enough precautions to tell me that I actually am old. smile.gif

Excited to get the car. I know the 75' 1.8L may be one of least desirable 914s, but the originality and condition of this one offset that for me. He's also the original owner.
KELTY360
QUOTE(1973tii @ Jul 14 2011, 11:08 AM) *

So, I'm just barely holding on to my youth enough that I want to drive this 914 home and would embrace any mishaps as part of the adventure (I say that now, safely at home).

I know what you mean, I flew out on my 57th b'day to get mine and it's definitely made me younger, in spite of the gray hairs it's added.
skaufmann
Don't forget you have the Grapevine to climb over just north of LA. Water-cooled cars litter the turnouts every time I drive it.

If you do make the drive, take 99 instead of I-5. You have a bunch more towns to drive through in case you need help. I got stranded on I-5 years ago and was towed to a little town off of 99. The highway is 3+ lanes a lot of the way too so its easier to navigate the semis.
skaufmann
After further thought, drive it and if something happens tow it to a uhaul and trailer it the rest of the way!
1973tii
QUOTE(skaufmann @ Jul 14 2011, 11:31 AM) *

Don't forget you have the Grapevine to climb over just north of LA. Water-cooled cars litter the turnouts every time I drive it.

If you do make the drive, take 99 instead of I-5. You have a bunch more towns to drive through in case you need help. I got stranded on I-5 years ago and was towed to a little town off of 99. The highway is 3+ lanes a lot of the way too so its easier to navigate the semis.

I should have mentioned, the drive would be from The Bay Area to Portland. smile.gif
Spoke
If you know you're going to buy it from your Uncle, just have it shipped.

If you start driving it and have a mechanical breakdown, you'll still need to have it shipped and you'll need a ride home.
rick 918-S
What a bunch of chickens! Where's the fun in having the car shipped or getting a trailer. screwy.gif If the car runs and drives I always ask the owner if the car will make to it's next oil change. Grow some, get in it and enjoy the thrill! welcome.png
KELTY360
QUOTE(1973tii @ Jul 14 2011, 11:47 AM) *

QUOTE(skaufmann @ Jul 14 2011, 11:31 AM) *

I should have mentioned, the drive would be from The Bay Area to Portland. smile.gif

Drive it over the GG bridge to McMark @ Original Customs on the way out out town. He can check it out and make sure you're good to go. That way you'll be on 101 which is the scenic route. It will be a great adventure.
ArtechnikA
Check the DOT date stamps on the tires. If they're more than 6-7 years old, no matter what they look like, get new ones - include the spare - get 5. Carry a new alternator belt, although a broken belt in a T-IV isn't the panic it is in an earlier VW engine or a /6.
Ian Stott
I would never say it is less desireable because it is a 75, it is most likely a well maintained one owner 914 that many people would love to have, get her checked out by a knowledgeable 914 mechanic and drive it home!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
Drums66
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 14 2011, 03:15 AM) *

welcome.png

Ditto..........Echo!! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
....have a bag of popcorn? bye1.gif
bembry
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 14 2011, 03:15 AM) *

welcome.png

Absolutely agree. Or just ship it.
bembry
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 14 2011, 01:33 PM) *

What a bunch of chickens! Where's the fun in having the car shipped or getting a trailer. screwy.gif If the car runs and drives I always ask the owner if the car will make to it's next oil change. Grow some, get in it and enjoy the thrill! welcome.png

The thrill went wrong for me in the desert between Bakersfield Ca and Phoenix (500 mi total) with my wife with me, back in 1997. Car was running REALLY hot, and wouldn't do over 45 MPH, punctuated with "cooling stops" where it just stopped running at all. "Not fun" is the biggest understatement ever. Made it home at 4:00 AM after leaving around noon the day before. There aint shit out there in the middle of the night except cars hauling ass by you and swerving at the last minute/few inches.

"new" 914s should be low on the list of cars you'd try to wing it several hundred miles in.

I'm not new to old cars either--been driving old-ass cars since I was 16.
1973tii
Gonna have to stick with the drive it home plan, albeit with some spare parts and a checkup by the shop. I'm still OK with surprises. It's been my experience that deviating from the plan -- intentionally or not -- makes for the best memories! Thanks for the comments, I'll report back and let everyone know what happened.

(bembry -- if the wife was anyway involved with this, you can bet I'd be having it trailered up! smile.gif )
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(1973tii @ Jul 14 2011, 07:49 PM) *

It's been my experience that deviating from the plan -- intentionally or not -- makes for the best memories!

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment...

I only did San Francisco -> Portland once - in a 914/6 as a matter of fact, for the 1980 Parade. (Actually we started in San Diego, but only the San Francisco north leg is relevant here.) No issues - but we knew the car pretty well and the brakes and tires were new.

This was before cell phones (but we did have a CB...) and these days - have a spare cell battery.

Seriously - old tires can delaminate, throw their belts, and generally mess up your day (or night). I'm sure it'd be memorable.
PBC914
I picked up my 1st 914 in between my softmore and junior year of college in the summer of 95. I found it in Hemming's Motor News. My dad had a 76 that he sold in 83 (for a Toyota Camry of all cars). I vowed that day I would buy my own 914. And so I flew out to Racine, WI with a ticket back just in case. The owner picked me up at the airport and I drove back to his home. I knew NOTHING about what to expect. The car was in good shape from what I could tell. I flew out with a duffel bag full of stereo equipment (a new Blaupunkt CD changer for the front trunk, and a new Blaupunkt stereo inside with tape deck to control everything) and a change of clothes and my wallet. We took the car to a Mobil garage (still didn't know anything) and really all they did was check the tires, check that the spark plugs were...um sparking and that there was oil. We went back to the owner's home, I wrote a check and I was off to a mall parking lot to install the stereo for the ride home. It was a sunny day, I drove with the top off all the way home to Minneapolis. I had a smile on my face the whole way, and car ran beautifully (about 28-29 miles to the gallon).

Use common sense, good judgement, change and check your oil and for leaks often and stop periodically to check over the car for any issues. Just buy new tires if they aren't already new and you will have a great lifetime memory. I won't forget my trip it was a blast!
iamchappy
QUOTE(bembry @ Jul 14 2011, 06:49 PM) *

The thrill went wrong for me in the desert between Bakersfield Ca and Phoenix (500 mi total) with my wife with me, back in 1997. Car was running REALLY hot, and wouldn't do over 45 MPH, punctuated with "cooling stops" where it just stopped running at all. "Not fun" is the biggest understatement ever. Made it home at 4:00 AM after leaving around noon the day before. There aint shit out there in the middle of the night except cars hauling ass by you and swerving at the last minute/few inches.

"new" 914s should be low on the list of cars you'd try to wing it several hundred miles in.

Been there done that, from Buffalo Wyoming to Thermopolis around 100º and up to Dubois. i figured out how to jump the relay on the fuel pump and traced the problem to the temp sensor. But it took a full day out of my travel plans to finally troubleshoot the problem and get back on the road. There really are rattlesnakes in rattlesnake canyon ask me how i know...

Dropped a valve driving back from Hood river Oregon to Minneapolis, had to Uhaul it all the way home truck and trailer.
Check the tires make sure they can make it also.

Dont listen to Rick he is a glutton for punishment........
PBC914
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 14 2011, 08:07 PM) *

Been there done that, from Buffalo Wyoming to Thermopolis around 100º and up to Dubois. i figured out how to jump the relay on the fuel pump and traced the problem to the temp sensor. But it took a full day out of my travel plans to finally troubleshoot the problem and get back on the road. There really are rattlesnakes in rattlesnake canyon ask me how i know...

Dropped a valve driving back from Hood river Oregon to Minneapolis, had to Uhaul it all the way home truck and trailer.

I'll bite-how do you know?
rick 918-S
QUOTE(PBC914 @ Jul 14 2011, 09:00 PM) *

QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jul 14 2011, 08:07 PM) *

I'll bite-how do you know?

Because Chappy knows I have been all over the country in a home built euro V8 hot rod and had my share of break downs. I think it's part of the experience and makes for great stories. I don't view it as the worse thing that ever happened. Ya, I'm screwy.gif

assimilate.gif
hot_shoe914
Seems Rick, Ian and I are the only three on this thread with balls. Don't listen to the wankers, drive that baby home. I did 814 miles in the middle of the night nonstop to Kansas in a car that I had only run a few miles after an engine install. Prior to that the car sat in storage 2 years. Made it there for the Buttercup build and made it back. Here's to you Rick! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 14 2011, 01:33 PM) *
Drive it over the GG bridge to McMark @ Original Customs on the way out out town. He can check it out and make sure you're good to go. That way you'll be on 101 which is the scenic route. It will be a great adventure.

agree.gif

McMark's shop is just north of the SF Bay Area in Sonoma. Stop there on your way up and have him go over the car for you before you get back on the road!

http://www.originalcustoms.com/

driving.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 14 2011, 10:27 PM) *

Seems Rick and I are the only two on this thread with balls. Don't listen to the wankers, drive that baby home. I did 814 miles in the middle of the night nonstop to Kansas in a car that I had only run a few miles after an engine install. Prior to that the car sat in storage 2 years. Made it there for the Buttercup build and made it back. Here's to you Rick! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Ya man! Drive it like ya stole it! MDB2.gif And stop at McMark's. He's cool and on the way.
Haudiosolutions
Drove mine sight unseen and inspected for about an hour 250 miles. Still love the memory of what will be all the way home. I did find out the windshield wipers didn't work. brake lights didn't work and turn signals didn't work. Had my wife stay behind me all the way home. great times! I say check it out and drive it
Eddie914
Just get the phone numbers and addresses of a bunch of Teener owners along your route between CA and OR (home). If you have problems, call and ask for help ... it will be an adventure. Teener owners are the best people in the world!

When I got out of graduate school, I sold everything I still owned and bought a plane ticket to New Zealand. I bought a motorcycle and toured the Islands. I have the fonndess memories as a result of the people that helped me out as a result of crashes and breakdowns.

Enjoy your life ... it's the only one you get!

Cheers,

Eddie
ConeDodger
Adjust the valves, bring a half dozen quarts of oil. Watch your temperatures. Stop every 100 miles at first. Do stop at Mark's shop in Sonoma. Pay him for an hour of look see and you will be good for the rest of the trip.
Razorbobsr
I bought a 914 sight unseen, in Fl. Drove it back to Ind through Jacksonville Fl and SC, no tools, no 914 exp, 1500 miles with no probs. Dumb?? Some thought so...... Bob
cary
I bought my 911 on Ebay. Flew to Deleware.Then drove it straight home in 3 days to Montana. Was it a gamble? Yes. Could it have broke done in Ohio? Yes. Did it? No. I even brought the wife.

Life is about adventures? It will be a bonding experience with your new car. Bring the tools, belt, both cables and check to age of the tires. Then stop and see McMark. Off you go.

How about getting a wireless gadget for your laptop. Then you could dial us up from just about anywhere on the way home. Just in case.

My white 73 914 I bought out on Sauvies Island and drove it straight home to Montana. 600 miles. That was a couple days after Christmas. Didn't even have chains.
ArtechnikA
Just to re-iterate, never did I say not go for it. I'm really only concerned about old tires, because a lot of guys on the 356 list go through exactly this scenario, 10-year-old tires look perfect, then one throws its steel belt and takes out a quarter panel.

If you're going to go for it, proper preparation is the key. Take survival supplies - gallon of water a person a day, and food. A way to stay warm, cool, and dry. Reflectors and light-up gizmos. You may be telling yourself you won't drive at night, but if you have a mishap or a delay you may be on the road at night despite your best planning and intentions.

Put AAA on speed-dial and as silly as this sounds - always keep a good idea of where you are - pay attention to the mile markers. More than once I've had to call AAA in the middle of freakin' nowhere talking to a dispatcher who has no idea of the area, trying to figure out where to send the truck.

Don't plan on using the 914's electrical system as your lifeline. A flat battery for any reason leaves you really stranded.

Do not overestimate how many miles you can do at a time - you will be feeling and hearing things you're not used to - it is stressful. Make friends with the shift pattern before you need to rely on it in traffic.
iamchappy
I made several west coast trips in my 914 as well as several trips to Jackson Hole from the Twin Cities, but this was in my car that i prepared before the journeys,
and twice the car left me stranded.

700 miles on the highway is not a really long journey so i guess i would take my chances also.

You can hear the rattling of rattle snakes in rattle snake canyon, i was foolish enough to walk down to a culvert while i was waiting for the engine to cool down, i had a snake
jump out about 2 feet from me, had i been bitten ....................
swl
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jul 15 2011, 04:33 AM) *

I'm really only concerned about old tires,

And rightly so. If the date stamp is greater than 6 years get uncle to put on some fresh rubber and break them in for a while.

We joke about these things being NARP. fact is they are RVW. (real volkswagens) Damn simple car. If Uncle has been driving it regularly and maintaining it I say go for it. Take your time. Take a half day tooling around in the local area then take off the top and point that baby north! Take your time, do the scenic route, don't drive at night if you can avoid it. Treat her gently and watch your guages.

I did Victoria BC to LA round trip and the car didn't give me any problems at all! .... Mind you that was back in '77 howard.gif

It'll be an adventure!
Ian Stott
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:27 AM) *

Seems Rick and I are the only two on this thread with balls. Don't listen to the wankers, drive that baby home. I did 814 miles in the middle of the night nonstop to Kansas in a car that I had only run a few miles after an engine install. Prior to that the car sat in storage 2 years. Made it there for the Buttercup build and made it back. Here's to you Rick! beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Check Ian Stott's post!
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ Jul 16 2011, 08:08 AM) *

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:27 AM) *

Check Ian Stott's post!

My bad Ian, post updated to include you and your cahones! pray.gif
Ian Stott
I will sleep better now! I don't advocate being reckless, checking it out properly is all that is needed, these are actually quite reliable cars. I would have driven down to Conn. to Chris Foley's (Tangerine Racing) for the BBQ this weekend if I wasn't already busy, that is a 12 hour drive for me plus waiting to get thru the border! I was talking to Chris and I was going to get a prize for travelling the farthest (of course I shamelessly begged for it in advance) We just finished the Atlantic Nationals here in Moncton last weekend which is Canada's largest car show and I couldn't help noticing how many cars are trailered to this event and pulled out and put on display, I would prefer to have a car I can enjoy driving around. I go back to my original statement of having your 914 checked over by someone qualified to do so and then enjoy the drive, breakdowns do happen, parts can fail, but again these are quite reliable cars, regardless of the age.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
detoxcowboy
"Strongly Considering?" I assume by your handle you have enjoyed a 1973 BMW 2002 tii? If so and as a previous 1974 2002 tii owner I also stongly reccomend the 914 either as a complimentary vehicle or even as a replacement for your vintage "Driving Machine". I loved the 2002 tii an d they still turn my head but for pure driving memoiries the 914 is much more of a drivers vehicle and you will find driving these 2 seaters exhilerating and much more of a pure sports car than the 2002 tii. Just by coincedence and like your situation I went from 74 2002 tii to a 73 914 1.7 and my thought of fun driving experiences all go to the 914 even though my BMW was in high quality condition and the 1.7 a cheap paint job on a daily driver that rarely heds the top on because no one was going to want or take anything,.., \

Go for it! I recomend basic tools , AAA for the first year and the ph# of a 914 specific knowledge and experienced mechanic.

Can't stress specific 914 knowledge enough.. I was younger and dumber when I had the 1.7 and took the thing to 3 different shps all 3 said they knew and could repair and none could and each time I paid for repairs and 10 miles down fwy it would die in white smoke could..

Oh if you feel extreme sleepines after pulling the red lever that is carbon monoxide. Rool down the window and close the red lever.. The heat exchanger are rutsed out internally, This also happend to me in Los Angeles though tit was thew smog.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.