Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dried out car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
level914
The car I purchased for restoration was a California car for most of it's life and then spent the last fourteen years in Nevada. Good news is its virtually rust free, bad news is everything is dried out and cracked. I've replaced all fuel and vacuum lines, now It looks like I have to replace every other piece of rubber on the car.

Wondering what is the best source for these pieces(Mostly worried about window/targa/trunk etc. seals)

Thanks.
ppickerell
I'm in the same boat. I put my top up once in the last year and it rattled so much I stopped and put it in the trunk. I saw very useful posts about weatherstripping, surgical tubing etc. but whe your seals come off in chunks in your hands, it's time to shell out some more ducats.
level914
I have seen complete sets in Tweeks, but it seems a little pricey. Maybe I'm out of touch with the cost.

I was also wondering if anybody has any homemade solutions for this. I'll try to do a search using other words for this also.

Any ideas for replacing/repairing the rear padded top that is under the targa.The piece that the lock down clips go through. I don't know the name of it.

Thanks for your reply.
vortrex
don't get AA repro seals. total junk. yes they are much cheaper, but the rubber is terrible quality and they don't fit! I got one, trimmed it up best I could to get it to fit, and then eventually gave up and tossed it.
jim912928
My car was in the same boat..sat for 6 years outside in the southern california desert...dry as a bone! I got the rear targ seal (that 3 sided expensive thing) from Sammy in here...great seal! All the rest of the seals I got from Dave at GPR...great guy!
level914
Yeah, I would hate to spend that kind of money and not be completely satisfied. I feel for you. Hopefully youv'e got it all worked out. I know with the way my seals are now it's going to flood the cockpit during the first rain. Luckily it's pretty dry here.
Gint
Any ideas for replacing/repairing the rear padded top that is under the targa.The piece that the lock down clips go through. I don't know the name of it.

Typically referred to as the targa pad.

Last I heard from Z on this, he had used seals from GPR at least a couple times and was happy with 'em. I'm sure he'll pipe up here. I'll have to do it also when the car goes back together.
mikey
I'll be looking for a complete set of rubber soon too. I've heard good things about GPR here. Who are they and how do you get in touch with them?

Mike
Brad Roberts
Bite the bullet and buy factory OEM seals. I can only think of 1-2 seals that can be done at home and look "ok" when done. GPR sells the factory seals along with every other parts pusher out there. Rubber has actually stayed about the same price wise. Its the hard parts made from steel that have sky rocketed.

The targa pad is a whole different story. We really need a replacement. I havent even tried to price one through Porsche.

B
ppickerell
http://www.gprparts.com/

I won a 2.0 on ebay from him which is almost DONE AT HPH aktion035.gif . WOOHOO! Go team BRAT
mikey
I've heard good things about GPR here. Who are they and how do you get in touch with them?

Never mind, I googled and found their website.

mueba.gif
Dave_Darling
When you ask about prices for the seals (from anywhere!!) just make sure you're sitting down. They're usually a lot higher than most 914 folks are comfortable paying...

The "Sammy seal" is a good deal, but you can make it yourself for a little less $$ (but a larger investment in time). See the article on the Bird site. (Didn't Demick write that up?) There are one or two others that can be DIY'd from other sources with varying degrees of success, but several of them need to be OEM.

Pretty much any place that carries lots of 914 parts (GPR, HPH, Pelican, etc.) will carry them. Or the dealer.

You might consider picking up some glycerine at the drug store after you buy the seals. Apply it to all of your new seals once a year, and it should help preserve the rubber. The owner's manual actually recommends doing this...

--DD
JmuRiz
Do any of these places offer a PCA discount? I've always wondered if there was a way to get a percent off...especially on a big purchase like rubber seals! I think I got my targa-top seals from Tweeks...they are OK, nothing like the orriginals <_< Now my top rubs against my trunklid and has flatspots on it...since the seals are stiffer and a smidge taller. Next time it will be OEM (lots of $$$)
soloracer
My rolling tub is completely stripped of all seals with the exception of the front window. Since this is primarily going to be a track car I was wondering if purchasing seals was necessary. Do all you track guys have a complete or even partial set of seals on your cars? Just wondering.
zehrschnell914
Craig (Camp914) has some aftermarket seals available too. I will need some soon and will be checking in with him before shucking out $1600 for oem seals.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.