Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Return Line - is this worth the cash?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
Hi All -
I am getting the oil lines configured for the conversion. Patrick Motorsports sells the below modified 911 oil return hard line for 140.00. Has anyone used this? Is it really that difficult to get a soft line secured so that it does not sag on to the headers?

It seems kinda of pricey - and I am not real happy about having an AN fitting on the one end - but if it works and alleviates future issues, it may be worth it.

Would love to hear any opinions.

Thanks!
Scott S
SLITS
I say no, but I am a cheap ass bastard barbarian. I have made my own by cutting a 911 line for the steel tube and then silver soldering a fitting of my choice on it. I used industrial fittings / hose rather than AN.

My last incarnation, was to use the hooped line that runs around the bellhousing off a 911 to move the line away from the HEs and run the return to the oil tank with industrial lines and fittings.
PRS914-6
agree.gif

Easy to do if you have the 911 fitting. I silver soldered an AN fitting on as well. Worked for me since my entire system was AN
Click to view attachment

View from rear...
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Jul 14 2011, 09:31 AM) *
I am getting the oil lines configured for the conversion. Patrick Motorsports sells the below modified 911 oil return hard line for 140.00. Has anyone used this? Is it really that difficult to get a soft line secured so that it does not sag on to the headers?

It seems kinda of pricey - and I am not real happy about having an AN fitting on the one end - but if it works and alleviates future issues, it may be worth it.

Would love to hear any opinions.

I used it on my engine and it works great. thumb3d.gif

Looks like i'm the only ESOB around here ... laugh.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
Scott S
hmmmmm.... all of those look very veryt clean. Being that I dont have the skill set to do the modification myself (and being that i do not have the 911 line to modify) I think I will save my lunch money for a bit and go for it.

Thanks all-
Scott S
mepstein
I bought one on ebay being sold by PMS. Bidding started at $35 and I was the only bid. You could always buy the full line from a 911 guy on pelican and then have a shop cut and weld. Maybe same place that does your engine oil cooler unless your using an origional 914-6 cooler. Have the fittings installed with similar threads. Just a thought. Mark
dion9146
I cut and brazed an original 911 line on my first conversion. That engine didn't use an external cooler.

Then when I went to a Mocal thermo setup and needed AN fittings, I bought the adapter for the engine from Pegasus, then configured a braided line from the engine to the thermostat. It exits towards the rear, then has a nice radius back up to the firewall and stays clear of the headers.

I always use PMS as the 'high price bar' of conversion parts if I absolutely have to buy anything. Through 3 conversions, the only thing I have ever bought from them was the generic electrical plug to adapt my 914 wiring to the 3.2 harness. And I only did that because I wanted it to look like a factory setup.
pcar916
I got mine from PMS back in '98-'99 and it was only about $75. If I had not been traveling 95% of the time back then I'd have fabricated one myself as well since it's not a difficult piece. You'd spend as much time with the bends as the welding. Obviously once it's installed you won't fuss with it any more.

Good luck
J P Stein
AN 12 & the needed adaptors ain't cheep either, but here ya go.
Lotso room from the headers.
patssle
AN 12 & the needed adaptors ain't cheep either,

What's the best place to buy AN fittings and those shiny oil hoses?
J P Stein
Brit said he found somewhere cheeper than Summit/Jegs. PM him.
I too bought fittings from Summit years back. Both are good outfits to do biddness with.
pcar916
Always try Racer Parts Wholesale as well, they're often cheaper for the same stuff.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Racing

Good luck
dion9146
Mine looks like JP's picture.

RPH is a good outfit. When I was racing FV, I got most of my stuff from them and I lived 15 minutes from Summit Racing. smile.gif
patssle
QUOTE(pcar916 @ Jul 14 2011, 05:35 PM) *

Always try Racer Parts Wholesale as well, they're often cheaper for the same stuff.

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Racing

Good luck

Good stuff, thanks!
PRS914-6
I bought all my fittings from a guy on e-Bay. He got them from the NASCAR teams. Apparently, when they blow an engine, they don't use anything over. He would sell the lines with fittings VERY cheap. I used the fittings and tossed the lines for over a 50% savings and the fittings were like new. Don't know if they are still available but worth a look.....
dion9146
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:22 AM) *

I bought all my fittings from a guy on e-Bay. He got them from the NASCAR teams. Apparently, when they blow an engine, they don't use anything over. He would sell the lines with fittings VERY cheap. I used the fittings and tossed the lines for over a 50% savings and the fittings were like new. Don't know if they are still available but worth a look.....

If you look, there are about 2 dozen sellers of ex-Nascrap fittings and hoses. I have bought a few too, but buyer beware. I have bought a couple of fittings that were just plain bad. Even though they looked new/good in the pics, they leaked and had to be replaced almost immediately. So not all fittings and hoses being sold on eBay from ex-Nascrap teams is because the engine blew. I'd bet some of them leaked too, and I'd also bet they weren't on cup, truck, or nationwide cars.....more like Bubba's Friday night Nascar support series.

PRS914-6
QUOTE(dion9146 @ Jul 15 2011, 04:35 AM) *

QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jul 15 2011, 12:22 AM) *

If you look, there are about 2 dozen sellers of ex-Nascrap fittings and hoses. I have bought a few too, but buyer beware. I have bought a couple of fittings that were just plain bad. Even though they looked new/good in the pics, they leaked and had to be replaced almost immediately. So not all fittings and hoses being sold on eBay from ex-Nascrap teams is because the engine blew. I'd bet some of them leaked too, and I'd also bet they weren't on cup, truck, or nationwide cars.....more like Bubba's Friday night Nascar support series.

Yep, like all used stuff you have to be careful what you get. Checking buyer feedback is important too. I didn't know there was so many of them selling now. Most of mine looked pretty new and I had no problems. For $28.00 I got this group, enough to do my entire car....Again, I tossed the hoses
Click to view attachment
Steve
I'm using the same PMS line on my car, but I know I didn't pay that much for it. Of course that was probably 15 years ago.
Eric_Shea
I paid $300... wink.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108579

IPB Image
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 16 2011, 01:45 AM) *

I also have the oem version of that line but mine is smaller diameter than the PMS/911 line so I'm not sure which one I'll use.
IronHillRestorations
I like putting the adapter on the case and routing a flex line rearward and then around the engine to the tank.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.