Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Paint for inside the longs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I swear I have seen this answer before but I can't find it. I am looking for what paint to paint the inside of my longs. I am planning to clean up/sandblast as much rust as possible. Then use Ospho to convert anything I can't get to due to access(this is mainly under the front door post). Then I was planning to paint it with a PPG etching primer. I assume I need another coat of something else before I apply bodywax. Any thought on what that coating should be?

Thanks,
John
Madswede
Have you checked out POR-15 ?
obscurity
QUOTE(Madswede @ Jul 14 2011, 01:24 PM) *

I have and every time it comes up I see a flood of people warning to stay away both here and on a variety of other forums. I would love to find an alternative.

John
Rand
If you have repaired any holes that let moisture get in, you are treating with Ospho and etching primer, then any decent paint is going to be fine.
mikea100
I painted it with Rust bullet and happy with the results.
Madswede
QUOTE(obscurity @ Jul 14 2011, 11:25 AM) *

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jul 14 2011, 01:24 PM) *

I have and every time it comes up I see a flood of people warning to stay away both here and on a variety of other forums. I would love to find an alternative.

John

blink.gif Strange, I've never heard anything negative about it. I did a search, but couldn't find anything mentioned here about it. confused24.gif

Suit yourself, but I would agree with the post right above that said once you clean rust off, etch, and seal holes, good paint would seem good enough.

Went with POR15 on the undercoating of my chassis (after cleaning and phosphoric acid etching). It not only is very strong paint, it looks good too.
Drums66
.......Zinc, make sure it is very clean idea.gif (wear respirator?)
bye1.gif(....(aircraft paint)
Tom_T
I've read in "Auto Restoration" magazine that certain older non-zinc treated bodies (like our 914s) & with certain paints, that you shouldn't or need not use etching primer - so you may want to check into that first (I cannot look for the article this week as prepping for trip then traveling).

A self-hardening epoxy primer over the rust converter and Wurth/other zinc primer should seal it.

Maybe Scotty B can weigh in here for his pro reccos? ... otherwise PM him here using member search.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.