Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gauges
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ne14914
I notice in the center consoles the gauges are oil temperature; clock; and voltage. I am going to add gauges and was wondering whats more important to monitor - oil temperature - or oil pressure? Since I can only add three - should I dump the clock and just use the one on the stereo and add the oil pressure? - but that clock looks so cool cool_shades.gif

Feedback and suggestions appreciated

Craig
Anton
Personal opinion: keep your "appearance group" options as is unless the engine is (heavily) modified and the vehicle is used for racing.

My personal order of preference: oil temperature > oil pressure > clock > voltage meter (the latter doesn't work correct anyway).

Oil pressure gauge should be easy to install, but you might lose the "idiot light" function. This depends on the type of new sender, i.e., with or without oil pressure contact. When you are willing to discard of the idiot light (what I personally would not do), you can use it's original cable for the connection between new sender - pressure gauge and you don't have to install a completely new wire (which can be quite a job).

The best guarantee for a proper functioning engine remains a revised engine with a new oil pump; then you shouldn't have to worry about oil pressure. wink.gif
Mark Henry
What ever you do, use the stock oil pressure idiot light and stock switch.

First zooming down a freeway or track how often do you look at the console! Personally I'm modifying the emergency brake light to be my idiot light and sticking a tail light bulb (or something real bright) in there. In the VW drag racing scene the guy's 'in the know' run no gauges, only pro lights.

Keep your stock oil switch, nothing is faster reacting. As far as I'm concerned the dual switch VDO unit that I see all the time totally SUCKS the big one. Sorry if you disagree with me but it is a total piece of shit. It's slow as fuck and it will come on just in time to tell you that you just smoked your engine.

I'm calibrating my stock temp gauge for my temp gauge and I may use a Gene Berg oil temp sender. It is just an idiot light, it starts to flash when hot (210+) and comes on steady when too hot around 225 degrees.

So in the end, the only thing I'm modifying is my combo gauge, and I have a spare.
MDB2.gif
tryan
the stock vw sender is like 4-6 psi. if it comes on it is too late. shoot for the combo gauge
need4speed
I've also heard (from a type 4 engine guru that used to chat in the Ghia circles) that head temp is actually more important to monitor than oil temp. Oil temp tends to lag behind trends that head temp would follow from increased load or cooling problems, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.