Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are these bumpers worth anything?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nathansnathan
I've got a lot of bumpers but it seems like I really don't have any bumpers at all...
I'm looking for an unpainted front early in decent shape, all this rust lurking under the chrome is giving me nightmares!
IPB Image

I'm going to work on Bumper A, paid $125 for that one (was expertly photographed to hide the dents on ebay, and no mention either dry.gif ), got to drill out the welds on the supports to get behind where the tits were, pound it out and weld the mounts back in. I would shave the holes also.
IPB Image
IPB Image

The chrome ones, well...

I'm thinking bumper B I can maybe sell as it's pretty solid at least, just that dent at the edge unfortunately, probably would crack the chrome. The area around the license plate is a little wavy- I bought it for $125.
IPB Image
IPB Image

C is a total loss I think, this one from my parts car - there's nothing left but the chrome at the outer corner, rusted through.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

D is the original rear off my car. Really too bad that the chrome is peeling all up and surface rust all beneath, mostly where the license plate was. If I were able to remove the chrome, it would still be pretty pitted... Got a dent in the side also, kind of like B
IPB Image
IPB Image
and another dent further in
IPB Image
and some more eminent peal-age
IPB Image

The big problem for me, the cost of stripping the chrome on any of these to make saving them an option, is like twice what I'd pay for something semi decent like bumper A?

E is the original front off my car, again just about perfect... except the whole top is rusted just about through...
IPB Image

I'd thought about cutting the top off F and welding it on E, since F is pretty out of shape,
IPB Image
IPB Image

but with the chrome removal issue I don't know, I'd have to get them both stripped which would be, what, 4x the cost of buying a better front? Other problem, it looks like someone tried to arc weld the mount on F top and bottom and it's really just hideous in that area, especially on top.
IPB Image
IPB Image

-I'm not tossing A or B, but I'm really considering the dumpster for the rest...
Any opinions and comments welcome, of course.
914itis
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Jul 14 2011, 11:23 PM) *

I've got a lot of bumpers but it seems like I really don't have any bumpers at all...
I'm looking for an unpainted front early in decent shape, all this rust lurking under the chrome is giving me nightmares!
IPB Image

I'm going to work on Bumper A, paid $125 for that one (was expertly photographed to hide the dents on ebay, and no mention either dry.gif ), got to drill out the welds on the supports to get behind where the tits were, pound it out and weld the mounts back in. I would shave the holes also.
IPB Image
IPB Image

The chrome ones, well...

I'm thinking bumper B I can maybe sell as it's pretty solid at least, just that dent at the edge unfortunately, probably would crack the chrome. The area around the license plate is a little wavy- I bought it for $125.
IPB Image
IPB Image

C is a total loss I think, this one from my parts car - there's nothing left but the chrome at the outer corner, rusted through.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

D is the original rear off my car. Really too bad that the chrome is peeling all up and surface rust all beneath, mostly where the license plate was. If I were able to remove the chrome, it would still be pretty pitted... Got a dent in the side also, kind of like B
IPB Image
IPB Image
and another dent further in
IPB Image
and some more eminent peal-age
IPB Image

The big problem for me, the cost of stripping the chrome on any of these to make saving them an option, is like twice what I'd pay for something semi decent like bumper A?

E is the original front off my car, again just about perfect... except the whole top is rusted just about through...
IPB Image

I'd thought about cutting the top off F and welding it on E, since F is pretty out of shape,
IPB Image
IPB Image

but with the chrome removal issue I don't know, I'd have to get them both stripped which would be, what, 4x the cost of buying a better front? Other problem, it looks like someone tried to arc weld the mount on F top and bottom and it's really just hideous in that area, especially on top.
IPB Image
IPB Image

-I'm not tossing A or B, but I'm really considering the dumpster for the rest...
Any opinions and comments welcome, of course.

yeah, I think A and B are the only one worth keeping., My .02
TheCabinetmaker
Rant on: Jeez Paul, did you really have to quote the entire thread of pics on the first reply? Seeing them once wasn't enough?: Rant off.
nathansnathan
For real, this is the longest 2-response thread ever now. biggrin.gif
I got a pm from silverInSoCal who I'm gonna give bumper E to later today hopefully, rather see it put to use than to chuck it. I'm gonna toss C,D and F, and sell B for $100. Thanks, guys for the responses. beer.gif
rwilner
my 2 cents: recycle that lot.

I paid $100 for a solid, dent-free and very serviceable rear bumper from a member here. I don't know what rechroming costs, but it's more than $100....and that's after you've sunk mondo hours into making a good, straight candidate.

My advice would be one of 2 options:
1) hold out and buy one from a member on world or club. It may take you a month or 2 to find one, but you will find one, and it will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

2) go fiberglass...cheaper, lighter, doesn't rust, and easier to repair if you hit something. (I almost went this route)

good luck!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.