Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Factory 6 w/ 15,000 miles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkV
No reserve smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...5&category=6430
Qarl
Not dealer A/C. This was an aftermarket unit.
Brad Roberts
Texas cars normally only rust in the battery tray area/hell hole. I'm betting it is pretty solid. I like it. I'm alos betting we are not getting a true representation of the paint in the pics. Texas beats up silver cars pretty bad.

This 9146 is SCREAMING for a 3.0 or 3.2.

It will need brakes.. the calipers are off.

B
MarkV
QUOTE(kellzey @ Jun 23 2004, 07:40 PM)
Not dealer A/C. This was an aftermarket unit.

What is the difference between dealer & aftermarket A/C?

I had a unit with an identical evaporator that I sold on Ebay.
Brad Roberts
Most dealers didnt even do the install's like we have been lead to believe. Most of them where farmed out to local AC shops.

B
GaroldShaffer
So if the car IS in the condition that auction says it's in then what is it really worth? I know, what ever someone is willing to pay. So IF you got it for the low bid of $14k what would YOU do to it? Paint, Body work, rebulid the engine or drop in a 3.0 like B would? Just wondering out loud.

yes I would love to have a /6 but its not in the budget anytime soon. sad.gif
anthony
To me $14K is the very top of the price range for this car - it's definitely not a deal. It needs another $10-15K in work although after you were done you'd have a 15K mile, like new 914-6. That assumes, of course, that the rest of the car is sound.
seanery
someone here needs to buy this car.
Brad Roberts
I dont know of anyone in my area looking for a 9146 project...

I think it will go for some stupid large number.. but it will be good for the other 9146's out there.

B
seanery
I was gonna bid (just for the sake of bidding) but was afraid I wouldn't get outbid, and right now I can't afford another car.

It may not go for much more than 1st bid IMHO. Or, you're right and it'll go for some stupid high number. biggrin.gif
Mueller
notice the rust on the bottom of the pass. door??? sad.gif
Brad Roberts
DOH.. I didnt even notice the starting bid was FRIGGIN 14k !!!

NO WAY. It is a 10k car *maybe*

All the brakes will need to be done../tranny/engine seals..blah blah.

Lately I have NOT been impressed with low mileage cars..

B
Brad Roberts
Good eye Mike. It may have been a coastal Texas car (not good)

B
Brad Roberts
I could bring it back to life.

B
JeffBowlsby

I am hurt B...does that include my 48.5K Bumblebee? sad.gif
MarkV
It's missing the passenger door squeege end piece. Maybe the door was filling up with water. Other than the battery tray no other rust showing in the photos.
Porsche Rescue
1. I will see it by Friday. Suspect Craig will too.

2. Seller says he won't reveal reserve price. Wonder if he knows he didn't list one! I would pay $14 in a heart beat.

3. Pics confirm two trivia facts that I have always believed: US '71's had smooth vinyl seats and "late" rear bumpers. The "6" rear bumper is really a " '70" bumper.
JeffBowlsby
See the paint bubbles on the door top edge by the squeegee in the last photo... icon8.gif
Red-Beard
$1500 max to get the paint and rust fixed.

$3500 to have the engine gone through.

What else? Someone in San Diego buy this....
anthony
$1500 buys a *good* paint job??
grantsfo
It looks like this car has had a hard 15,000 miles. Rust bubbling through everywhere on this car. Bet there is rot under carpets in trunks too. Wonder if this car sat outside in Oregon? I agree with Brad $10-$11k max for this one.

Isnt that more rust in this picture too? I see dings when I look at pictures closely as well.

IPB Image

This seller has some negative feedback too regarding false representation on another car.

My 50,000 mile 74 1.8 is in much better shape than this car.
boxstr
No wonder he didn't reveal his reserve he doesn't have one. I would offer $10k and see what he say's.
CCLINLOMILE6
MarkV
You guys are funny. biggrin.gif

There was a 60,000 mile 73 2.0 that sold on Ebay for a little more tan $10,000 a few weeks ago. The battery tray on the 73 looked like this one does. Rust free 914's don't exist any more.

How many 6's did they make in 1971? Starting price of 14 w/ no reserve seems more than fair to me. confused24.gif
vortrex
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Jun 23 2004, 08:14 PM)
DOH.. I didnt even notice the starting bid was FRIGGIN 14k !!!

NO WAY. It is a 10k car *maybe*

All the brakes will need to be done../tranny/engine seals..blah blah.

B

man I don't think I would even go $10k by the pics. am I missing something here? who cares about the mileage when it needs paint, is rusty, hasn't been run in many years and is taken apart.

that hellhole looks like it's going to be a mess judging by the battery try pic.

I say $8k car.
vortrex
QUOTE(Red-Beard @ Jun 23 2004, 08:48 PM)
$1500 max to get the paint and rust fixed.

maaco would not fix the rust and paint this for $1500!
vortrex
it looks like you can see the rust coming through the carpet at the center tunnel in this pic.

Rusty
I wonder if he'll sell the other half-case of Armorall he used to prep the car for pictures.

I agree. 10k tops, if the engine is running well. Those doors could easily need replacing.

Now, if this car was a 72 914-6... that would be a screaming deal.

3. Pics confirm two trivia facts that I have always believed: US '71's had smooth vinyl seats and "late" rear bumpers. The "6" rear bumper is really a " '70" bumper.

Yes, those are things I believe, too. Rich Johnson also told me that the "6" bumper was not used in the entire model year 70. Oh, and I got to see a painted version of the "6" bumper at the MUSR a couple of years ago - they weren't all chrome.

-Rusty smoke.gif
MarkV
Someone bid $14000
boxstr
I find it interesting given the surrounding the car is located in the bidders id. Plus I went out and looked at the car with Jim Chambers. Nice car.
CCLINEBAYBIDDER
MarkV
Was thinking the same thing.

Nice car, thats all the details you are willing to give up?
anthony
How about some pics?
boxstr
It did have a paint job at some point, and I am hard pressed to believe that it has 15K miles. A/C compressor was missing. Needs battery tray replaced, hellhole is okay, other rust can be seen in ebay pics. The pics on ebay are more than enough.
CCLINIHAVESEENTHELIGHT
Porsche Rescue
Sorry, no pics. The pics on Ebay are pretty representative however. I went to see it expecting to try to buy the car direct for $14K or more. I decided I was not interested at that price. Battery tray and door (as shown) are the only rust issues. Has a notch cut in firewall for AC compressor, as well as one in trunk floor. No compressor present but remainder of system is in place. Nice original wheels with NLA 185x14 Michelin tires (well cracked). It could become a nice six with some time and money. Interior is beautiful. Carpet is different material than the perlon used in the '70 cars. First '71 I have ever seen. As most of you know, only about 430 produced compared to about 2650 1970's. Has a charcoal filter on top of the gas tank. I don't think 70's had one. Looks just like the one found in the engine compartment on later fours.
If anyone is serious about bidding, send Craig or me a PM for more detail.
Eric_Shea
That thing's only worth $7-8k period.

Too much rust on that door for me to believe the car is anything but in "poor" condition. The sags in the door panels lead me to believe that's a 115k car. I don't think they're bing honest.

Fact: If the car had only 15k miles on it... it would be basically pristine.
Brad Roberts
Judging solely by the ineterior pieces and knowing how Texas heat beats up the interiors.. I beleive it is a 15k miles car. NOTHING survives the Texas heat unless you dont drive it and store it inside out of direct sunlight.

B
Eric_Shea
You mean like in an "Airplane Hanger"? biggrin.gif
boxstr
Brad It is not a 15k mile car, after looking at the drivetrain, exterior and engine bay, it appears to be much more than 15k.
Actually the interior is the best part of the car. No cracks in the dash pad or targa pad, seats and carpet are excellent condition, even though they were fluffed up with some sort of spray-on gloss enhancment agent.
CCLINEBAYVOYEUR
71six
Yikes!
Looks just like my car!(page 29-members cars) Serial numbers only 3 higher than mine also. Yes they had smooth vinyl upholstery in 71. No mine hasn't had those rust issues "thankfully". Hopefully it will go to a good home :-)
Regards
Mark
fiid
I love the 180mph speedo on that thing.

Looks nice superficially, but the details are all too telling. sad.gif

I hope someone does the right thing by it.

Fiid.
seanery
OK, auction ended. Car went for $16,988. That's quite a bit for this car. I hope it's nicer than I think it is.
boxstr
No Sean, it is the buyer who had better think it is better than I know it is and you think it is laugh.gif It would not suprise me if we see it again on ebay.
CCLINEBAYSUPRISE
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.