Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear floor pan replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bare 1
These are the only two places I find that make this piece. If there is another supplier. I'm not aware of them. Any way there's 40 bucks difference in price,BUT my big question is what are the other differences? The AA piece APPEARS to have the longitudinal braces underneath as part of the piece,but I can't tell from the pic if the Resto piece does or not. Any one have any experience with these 2 companys as far as using their product. particularly in comparison to one another? Any one have experience in using either of the products offered by these 2 companys?
I'm thinking that purchasing the braces as seperate pieces will eat the difference and then some, plus the hassle and time of ordering something only to have it arrive and find out I need more.
And are there any little hidden things I should watch out for when wackin out the old piece??? Thanks for you're input.
Mike Knox
I used the Restoration Design pieces. My purchase was just before the company changed hands and (as I recall) moved to Canada from lower Michigan. I replaced both the front and rear panels, as well as installing the Engmann Inner Long Kit and the Mayeur Outer long reinforcing. I also installed the trailing arm reinforcing kit.
My installation was for a 3.2 conversion, and I didn't want any chassis flexing.

It took sometime for the components to arrive, and communication was abysmal. Both of these hassles probably are cured with the new ownership.

The floor pans fit just fine, and were an easy install. An unexpected extra cost was the brackets for mounting the rear of the seats to the floor.

The panels were shipped unfinished and unprimed. So I covered the top and bottom with POR-15 to protect them.

HTH

Mike
mepstein
I got my floor pan from resto design. shipped quicky for reasonable price. Call or email them and ask ?'s but I think it's the same piece no mater where you get it.
914Mels
QUOTE(Mike Knox @ Jul 16 2011, 09:53 AM) *

I used the Restoration Design pieces. My purchase was just before the company changed hands and (as I recall) moved to Canada from lower Michigan. I replaced both the front and rear panels, as well as installing the Engmann Inner Long Kit and the Mayeur Outer long reinforcing. I also installed the trailing arm reinforcing kit.
My installation was for a 3.2 conversion, and I didn't want any chassis flexing.

It took sometime for the components to arrive, and communication was abysmal. Both of these hassles probably are cured with the new ownership.

The floor pans fit just fine, and were an easy install. An unexpected extra cost was the brackets for mounting the rear of the seats to the floor.

The panels were shipped unfinished and unprimed. So I covered the top and bottom with POR-15 to protect them.

HTH

Mike

I bought the rear floor panel from Restoration design, it does not come with the seat braces, I think it was part #24 & #29 on their web site. Quality was very good and I got them after the ownership change. Shipping time was pretty quick. I think Pelican parts carries their brand of panels. welder.gif
obscurity
My only freustration with retoration design was the cost of shipping/import to the US. There could have been a number of factors at play (I am not very familiar with importing) so I am not sure how much was the cost of importing and how much was just straight shipping. I am also in Atlanta so AA shipping is esentially free. As far as the parts go I had no troubles at all. They do good work.

John
bare 1
No Auto Atlanta users???
914itis
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jul 20 2011, 08:52 PM) *

No Auto Atlanta users???
popcorn[1].gif
jonferns
I've dealt with Restoration Design panels, they are great quality. Plus, RD is an honest and reliable vendor. I'd go with them.
GeorgeRud
I've had good results with both vendors. Usually just try to see who actually has them in stock to ship out immediately.

I really was spoiled when the old P.B. Tweeks were around as I'd get next day UPS service due to their proximity.

I've heard that shipping from Canada can be a slow process, so that can be a factor as well.
markb
IIRC, AA is a reseller for Restoration Design, rather than the maker of this part.
bare 1
That bit of info throws a twist into the decision. beerchug.gif Thanks all!
strawman
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jul 20 2011, 05:52 PM) *

No Auto Atlanta users???

Not if I can help it...
bare 1
Somewhere along the line Pelican Parts popped in to my dim little brain so I checked their website. They have the RD piece for 5 bucks more than RD's website and are alot closer to AZ than Canada!! Or Georgia!! I think I''ll give them my business. Less shipping cost. bye1.gif Adios
obscurity
QUOTE(strawman @ Jul 21 2011, 03:12 PM) *

QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jul 20 2011, 05:52 PM) *

No Auto Atlanta users???

Not if I can help it...

I've used several body panels from Auto Atlanta and I have been pleased with all of them but I have not yet done the floors so I can;t speak to them specifically

John
mepstein
QUOTE(bare 1 @ Jul 21 2011, 03:13 PM) *

Somewhere along the line Pelican Parts popped in to my dim little brain so I checked their website. They have the RD piece for 5 bucks more than RD's website and are alot closer to AZ than Canada!! Or Georgia!! I think I''ll give them my business. Less shipping cost. bye1.gif Adios

In stock?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.