Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lost Door Hinge Nutplate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
biggy72
So I took my door off to clean up some rust in the outer door seal channel and to rebuild all of the door internals, and when I went to go put it back on I noticed that the lower hinge nutplate had fallen down in the pocket. There's a small hole behind the speaker to access this area so I started to pick it up with a magnet, but it dropped and I think it fell down a small gap on the inner edge of the pocket. Is there any way to access this area? Or do I need to go get a new nutplate from someone else's parts car and install it.

I was hoping to have everything back together for a maiden voyage on Monday, but if I don't have a passenger door I may be a little delayed on that one.

I would post pics of what I'm talking about, but my fiance has the camera up in BC this weekend. If anyone else has pics of this area feel free to post them.
biggy72
Here's the area I'm talking about. Not my car, just found this picture in another thread.
cwpeden
Oh Crap, I've spun my body on the rotisserie a couple times and now I have to check....hope mine are still there.. headbang.gif
biggy72
I think they usually stay there, but at some point mine may have been repaired. The piece I had ahold of didn't seem to be big enough to hit the three points. Also there are two small holes drilled on the sides of the top and bottom nut areas. They may have just had regular nuts in there and I didn't notice. I'm going to see if I can find a parts car to steal one out of tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.
biggy72
Well I ended up having to do a little bit of cutting. I figured that in order to reinstall the nutplate I would need more space for my hand. I cut two slits in the yellow area in the picture and then bent the area into the car so I could see farther down in the area. Well the gap is quite a bit bigger than I realized. With more room I could fish my magnet down in the hole and found the nutplate. I'll just have to weld up this area later, but it's behind the speaker and covered with sound deadening mat so it shouldn't be too noticeable until I can reweld it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.