Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914 Update 8/27/11 (pics added)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KennyK
Hello every one I M new here and a first time owner of 914. Yesterday I bought a 72. It has been updated with a 2.0 freshly rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. He has owned the car 22 yrs. Added late model bumpers, updated shifter. Sold daily driver will post a few pics as soon as I take them. What I would like to know is what would be the most recommended literature I can get. I have ordered, the 914 914-6 Porsche: Restorers Guide. VW Porsche 914 & 914/6 Repair Guide 1.7and 2.0 and The Porsche 914.4 914.6 Handbook is there any others. I plan on GT flares and front and rear bumpers. First I want to replace worn shocks and springs. I don't need to go to any extreme, just need a good solid, sporty suspension. The previous owner installed Deleto's (don't know correct spelling). Hyd lifters were used in the rebuild of 2.0. Body very solid, needs some new trunk seals and paint. Any advice or resources any one can point me to would be great. Also I live in Lenoir ,NC has any one heard of Black Forest Racing out of Denver NC. Was thinking of seeing if they could check carbs to make sure they are a-OK. Is there any one else in my area you would suggest.
Thanks for listing
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
RiqueMar
QUOTE(KennyK @ Jul 17 2011, 02:26 AM) *

Hello every one I M new here and a first time owner of 914. Yesterday I bought a 72. It has been updated with a 2.0 freshly rebuilt 10,000 miles ago. He has owned the car 22 yrs. Added late model bumpers...

Hopefully, you mean that he has added 'early' bumpers?

Welcome to the World! welcome.png
SUNAB914
Welcome! Yes, see john over at Black Forest, he can help. Make sure your car is structurly sound before investing a great deal, then make sure power train is running good before further investment. Look for Gasman, he is in your area also. Great guy. Good luck. By the way we love pictures.
KennyK
No, he added late modle bumpers front and rear they are going !! I am in the market for GT flares and front and rear bumpers (Fiberglass). The car is real sound as soild as the come alwas been garaged. I have recipets that total $6874.89 the the PO has spent on the car between 91-11 that dose not count the 3 from Alphin Auto Group one for $619.87 one for $1621.22 those 2 are for engine rebuild and one for the Delloato carbs $434.00. The car just needs finishing. Because I said I would be driving the car from Greensboro to Lenoir he had seen some dry rot on one of the tires and knew I would be driving it to Lenoir from Greensboro he put a new set on it friday. I belive I hit the jackpot on this deal I only paid $4000.00
rick 918-S
welcome.png thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(KennyK @ Jul 17 2011, 05:26 AM) *

...914 914-6 Porsche: Restorers Guide. VW Porsche 914 & 914/6 Repair Guide 1.7and 2.0 and The Porsche 914.4 914.6 Handbook

You will probably find the Restorer's guide interesting but not useful. It is what it says: a documentation with photographs of what came on the various cars through the years. _NO_ repair information or specifications...

You need the Haynes manual.

BTW - 'always garaged' is no magick rust preventative...

welcome.png
jim_hoyland
If you are new to 914's, Tech Tips 700 is pretty helpful. It not only illustrates various parts, but shows how the parts might be different for different year models. Sold by Auto Atlanta.
type47
The most useful document I found when new to 914's is the parts manual or PET. There is a link to the online copy in my signature. The next thing is a Haynes which can be had for little $ (20ish easily if not cheaper). Factory workshop manuals can be had cheap on CD's, not sure I'd buy a hard copy set (not now, maybe when you're more into the 914 and just "have" to have a set to complete your collection). Clymer and Lash manuals (same manual, different names) are excellent in my opinion and I've seen them for $40 regularly on ebay (sometimes cheaper).
76-914
Advice and resources, huh. The best 914 advice anywhere can be found right here at 914World. As far as resources go; ditto. Check our member vendors section for your new parts or the Classified section for your used parts. You mentioned seals. Check out Mikey914's rubber products in our vendor section. IMHO, his products are = to if not better than OEM. kent BTW, welcome.png
johannes
IPB Image
KennyK
Thanks for advice, like I said want to go through suspension first, so I will visit John down at Black Forest tomorrow.
Drums66
....Welcome to the world!
bye1.gif
KennyK
Took 914 to John at Balck Forest to give it the once over yesterday. John is one cool dude, I belive it is in good hands.
Tom_T
welcome.png
KennyK
Here is update after taking it to John at Black Forest here is what he came up with. The car is very solid, very little rust will be easy to take care of. Engine and trans are leaking from every where they could be leaking from. Easy fix for John. As a side note engine did turn out to be a 2.0 but it was a 76-77 2.0 from as bus only 67hp, but John will be fixing that MORE POWER!!!!!!. After coming up with basic game plan John was going to pull motor and trans and take care of rust and remove late model bumpers. After a week John asked me to stop by and inspect work. Once I saw the amount and Quality of work done I was so impressed that John and I set down and discussed a new game plan. I told what I would like the car to be and the money I had put back to complete the project John said he could turn key the car for that. That was a very hard decision as I M a Welder / Fabricator but I M fortunate enough to be working 60 to 70 hrs a week, and seeing the quality of work done, we shook hands and I left John some cash. He got to work.

The game plan is to GT the car get it ready for a 6 cyl at a later time so that all will need to be done is install 2.7

Here are some pics of progres
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image
IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.