Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I got a surprise at the car show yesterday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
corsepervita
When I headed to work, the seats were fine.

I got out of work and got in my car and saw this on my seats as I headed to the car show. Note that it was not really hot outside, in fact, it rained cats and dogs. It somewhat came off the seats with leather cleaner, but it's on there good. I can't imagine that belts could get hot enough to "burn" anyway?

I'm afraid to go after it with some serious cleaners for fear of making it worse than it is. These are the original seats! I'm so mad. Only thing I can think is perhaps the vinyl cleaner I used with the combination of it sapping the color out of the belts did this to the seat? It's on both sides, although on the driver side I mostly got it out, it is REALLY on there on the passenger side sad.gif

barf.gif

Has anyone seen this before?

IPB Image
rick 918-S
It looks like spray paint. Did some punk tag your seat? WTF.gif mad.gif

edit: take a Q-Tip and apply mineral spirits on a small spot and see if you get color off the seat. Mineral spirits should not melt the vinyl. But don't do too much at once and don't leave it on the seat too long. Try a spot then dry it with either compressed air or soft cotton. LMK what you get.
corsepervita
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 17 2011, 06:09 AM) *

It looks like spray paint. Did some punk tag your seat? WTF.gif mad.gif

No, this was as I hopped in my car after work, I was headed to the car show a block away, it was on the passenger and driver side. Literally as I moved the belt, right under the belt was these marks. I was headed to the show and was sooooo mad. I managed to find a few things to put on the seats at the show to cover them up but was so disappointed. Mostly I'm upset, this car is a survivor and I want to preserve the original stuff in it, so if there is any way possible to rescue these seats without a reupholster i'm all for it.

We have security cameras in full 1080p at work, I would have seen someone messing with my car at work lol.

(edit)
A friend at the car show had suggested the possibility that maybe these seat belts were dyed at some point in time and the cleaner I used sapped the color from them onto the seats?
rick 918-S
Show us the belts. It looks like paint (could be dye) to me.
corsepervita
Ok let me go get a picture real quick.
corsepervita
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Randal

Sorry to see that stain or whatever it is.... That has to be frustrating.

If you can't get it out and don't want to replace the covering, try vinyl paint. I got some from my local paint store, they matched the color to my part and it came out great. You absolutely cannot tell it was painted.

rick 918-S
Ya, looks like the color bled out of the belt. I would still try mineral spirits. If your really brave laquer thinner. but if your not fast it will melt the vinyl.
corsepervita
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 17 2011, 07:08 AM) *

Sorry to see that stain or whatever it is.... That has to be frustrating.

If you can't get it out and don't want to replace the covering, try vinyl paint. I got some from my local paint store, they matched the color to my part and it came out great. You absolutely cannot tell it was painted.

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 17 2011, 07:10 AM) *

Ya, looks like the color bled out of the belt. I would still try mineral spirits. If your really brave laquer thinner. but if your not fast it will melt the vinyl.

You both just made my day. I had no idea there was a vinyl paint. I will try some diluted lacquer on an old seat before i try it on these to see if I can get the hang of it, and if I can't, I will try the vinyl paint. That makes me feel better knowing I can at least rescue them.
jim_hoyland
A local mobile uphosterer has matched and retouched up several seats for me. They can match anything and the applications lasts. It can be fixed ! smile.gif

corsepervita
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 17 2011, 07:23 AM) *

A local mobile uphosterer has matched and retouched up several seats for me. They can match anything and the applications lasts. It can be fixed ! smile.gif

If that's the case, I'll just bring it there and let a shop do it for me instead of having myself do it. I'm going to stop worrying about it now, you guys set my mind at ease.
914.SBC
I wonder what color pants you were wearing? Could it be dye from what you were wearing. Did a pen explode in your pocket. There has to be a logical explanation. Very strange. screwy.gif
corsepervita
QUOTE(914.SBC @ Jul 17 2011, 08:25 AM) *

I wonder what color pants you were wearing? Could it be dye from what you were wearing. Did a pen explode in your pocket. There has to be a logical explanation. Very strange. screwy.gif

Blue jeans. Couldn't have been from me sitting because it was on both seats. Nothing when I got to work. When I went out to the car when I got off work to head to the car show I went "WHAAAAAT?" when I saw them. I thought perhaps it was my pants too till I saw the passenger seat and was shocked. Very odd.

On a positive note.. I won the low car limbo. GO TEAM 914! Ended up with someone on the rear trunk and on the hood, and letting my tires down to 15 psi... but we did it! Pics to come... the car show was a blast.
Woody
I would get in touch with an interior restoration guy. They can work miracles.
johannes
Label of the jean ?
Mike Bellis
Did you try bleach? It won't change the color of vinyl but may take out the stain.
IronHillRestorations
Is it possible the seat cushion has been painted the tan color? That's my guess.

The other possiblity is if you cleaned the belt whatever cleaner you used cause a reaction between the belt and vinyl.
corsepervita
Pretty weird.... this morning I went to go look at the seats and it appears to have faded quite a good bit... very strange. It's still there, but was much much lighter than it was. Now I'm really baffled. I will try the bleach thing perhaps later today when I get time, and then call an upholstery place to see what they charge to dye vinyl.

Regarding the reaction between belt and vinyl, and seeing it fade so much this morning... it's possible.

So strange. So very very strange.
Randal
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jul 17 2011, 08:23 AM) *

If you have local mobile guys great. But here is the name/number of a place here in San Jose that can fix anything interior.

They replaced a leather panel and dyed the panel to match perfectly (light grey leather) for a brand new leather seat I had.

Don't ask my why I had to replace the panel.. headbang.gif

Anyway if your local guys can't fix the seat send the panel down here. These guys do perfect work and they are not expensive.

Bascom Trim & Upholstery, near Aldo Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95054

852 Aldo Avenue, Santa Clara, CA

(408) 727-2479 ‎ ยท bascomtrim.com

But to be honest painting the vinal is really easy and it comes out great. Just find a paint show that does the vinal paint and they will have all the goodies you need.

Drums66
........Berry berry bad !:poke:
bye1.gif(good idea detail)
Tom_T
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 17 2011, 07:33 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

That looks like an aftermarket belt webbing to me, & if so - I'll bet they used a cheapo dye on them which bled out in the heat & humidity/rain. Keep the belts off the seat & replace if that's the problem. Diluted bleach or Oxi-clean may take it off the vinyl.

I have the beige seats & OEM belts in my 73, and it sat out in the sun plenty of times (110-120 heat in desert), & got some rain exposure as my DD - and those OEM belts never bled out like that!

You might want to get your money back on those belts from the mfgr. - possibly cheapo China material &/or dye.

Or it could be a re-dye by DAPO problem to dress up some faded webbing, with the bleed-out result.
RickS
Stay away from bleach. It will destroy the fabric under the vinyl. Better to have a professional take care of it rather than risk destroying your seat in the long run. Bleach is very nasty stuff, especially on old fabric.
corsepervita
I am absolutely baffled. I went to go for a drive today in the 914 and the stains are GONE. So so so VERY strange.
Mike Bellis
Sun Bleached?
speed metal army
QUOTE(corsepervita @ Jul 22 2011, 02:27 PM) *

I am absolutely baffled. I went to go for a drive today in the 914 and the stains are GONE. So so so VERY strange.

Aliens.Or the CIA. blink.gif Weird.But somehow cool.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.