Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NNortheast 914 Summer Rally and Kaboom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschef
Yesterday I got to experience my first organized 914 rally. I'd been looking forward to it for some time, and with the weather being damn near perfect, it had the makings of a great day.

Got the 7 am ferry to Bridgeport, and with no traffic to deal with,(nice change) made it to Chris' shop just after 10. A lot of guys were already there, but it was the cars that were recognizable from all the time I've been spending on this site lately. Very cool to see a bunch of teeners in one place, cause I haven't seen one on the road since i've had my car.

Anyway, parked, got out and started putting faces to cars, so to speak. After some intros, got a quick tour of Chris' shop, and we all got name tags. That really helped because I'm real bad at remembering names. Met Ray, Rich, Jon, James from Bangor, Lunchbox John and Andy Not from Tennesee, Ed, Heidi, Charlie and Barbara with their stunning Ghia, among others. So after everyone arrived, we started up and headed out on the route planned. Was to be about 50 miles of mostly backroads with lots of trees and some curious homeowners.

Everything was good; car was running great, here and there one could hear the sound of a gear or two grinding, myself included; we got lots of looks starting out through town, but once we turned off the main road everyone was having fun through some mild twisties; hearing all the winding tIV's no doubt sent all the vermin into the hills; as there wasn't a squirrel to be seen, but I did see some residents standing at their mailboxes looking like deer in headlights. But the strangest thing I saw was drivers in other cars actually waving us through stops while waiting; something you won't see here on LI.

It was just after we got waved through a stop when I felt the car miss just slightly, and then, BANG! followed a lot more banging. Didn't sound good. Not at all. I pulled over shut it off, and then enjoyed that surreal sinking one feels when an engine blows.

Another new experience.

Here I'd like to thank Heidi, Ed and James for hanging out with me while Chris got the bring 'em back alive trailer- very professional retrieval. He asked if I wanted to ride with him but, having been in a pickup before, I opted for a ride with James in his very original Six. Wow. Took a cool video that was a lot better after I took my finger off the lens that somewhat captured the essence of such a car. If'n I can figure out how to post it, I'll do so. Edited, of course.

After we caught up with Chris pulling my now defunct 914, we followed him home. He's really good with that trailer. Now I realize how Racer Chris is a fine user name.

Back at his house, the unfortunate ones who missed the dairy bar waited for the rest of the group to show up. I unloaded the 12 pounds (what was I thinking) of potato salad that may or may not have contributed to my engine's demise. Mary and Chris had a real nice setup for everyone with a tent, a long table, chairs, and now most importantly, a keg of that Fine Ten Penny Ale I read about. Partaking of a coupla' four seemed to make things a bit better. Met some more folks at this time, along with some other cars that hadn't been there earlier. A good time was had by all, and after another guided tour, some started heading back.

Some stayed later, including Jon who was most gracious in getting me back to Bridgeport. Got to ride in a very torquey Raby motor powered car. Sweet. Barreled down I91 to New Haven, and over to the ferry terminal. Jon's car is very custom, and gave me an idea of what a built 4 feels like.

Thanks Jon.

All in all, it was a great day. Chris is holding the car till I get back to retrieve it, thanks. Mary threw a real nice BBQ, thanks. Everyone contributed to the food, thanks.
Couldn't have met a nicer bunch of people. Really.

I'm still not sure Andy's really from Connecticut.

No, I have no idea why it went. Oil level was a tad low but nothing major, and it was running no hotter than normal.

Heh heh heh, Porscheless.....that's me. Let the research begin. Yes, I've been curious as to what a 2056 is like, thinking that in the future, uh, f u t u r e, I'd like to build one.

Well, my wife always says...watch out what you ask for, jackass.

Joe
rmital
..as with all the 914 get togethers, it's always great putting the face with the avatar/username.

I clocked in about 9 hours of drive time yesterday once it was all over and I was back at home in NJ...so a little tired sitting here at work today. But what has me down is what happened to Joe. We've had plenty of these fun-runs/rallys in the tri-state area without any mishaps. This is a first...and it's really a bummer.
I wish Joe a speedy recovery from this. I hope it works out for the best in some way, shape or form.

Mary and Chris were great hosts...lots of laughs with the Northeast crew. Great food too!
Thanks to all who contributed!!! smilie_pokal.gif
Ian Stott
Sounds like it was a great time, really wanted to go but it wasn't in the cards for me this year, sure hope it takes place next year as I will be able to attend. Yes James has an extremely beautiful original 6, him helping out is typical James.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.