Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: /6 to /4 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lawrence
I just got off the phone with a guy here in Kansas who said he had a 1971 914 GT.

He claims that it was originally a 914/6, but that the engine was damaged, and the previous owner put in a 1.7/4 just to keep the car running. They couldn't find a 2.0/6 to put in the car.

Anything is possible, given enough money. Does this make sense?

-Rusty
jonwatts
Anyone remember the 911 with the 3 cylinder Geo motor in it? Sounds like this guy's brother.
Lawrence
I called the guy back. Here's the story:

The car is steel flared, and originally light yellow, and has a "914xxxxxx" VIN, but he didn't know the rest off of the top of his head.

He bought the 914/6 from a older gentleman for 3k. Apparently it had been owned by his son, who died in a track accident.

The only light yellow car listed on Glen Stazaks car was # 9141430242, and apparently was raced by Reip. (Dunno who that is, but will look it up.)

More to follow. I'm going to go see the car tomorrow.

-Rusty
seanery
psst...Rusty

Buy it cheap!
Lawrence
I gotta see what it looks like first, or even if it's for sale. I called my local FLAPS checking on windshield wiper blades, and the clerk told me that he had one of those "little Porsches", too.

He's having the interior redone at one of the better places in town, so it'll be easy to see what the chassis looks like.

-Rusty
need4speed
I've heard of 911 owners that put hot-rodded VW type 4 engines in, because they're much cheaper to maintain - reasonable HP for daily driving (basically a 912E), and it preserves the ORIGINAL motor, so when they decide to sell the car, they put the original back in, and can say that the motor's only got X miles on it, where the chassis has X+n miles, where n=the number of miles they ran it with the VW.
mskala
I guess it could be true, but tell me how the hell did he mount
the 4-cyl in there without the motor mounts, which did not
come on the -6 chassis.
Mark S.
'70 914-6
Lawrence
Mark, that's one of my questions. But I'll take my camera and whatever I find, I'll post for all to see.

Wouldn't it be cool to find a "long lost" GT, though? smile.gif

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
AA finds them all the time...

DOH !!

B
Lawrence
AA finds them all the time...

Yeah, I know.

I'm hoping this might be the real McCoy, though. Even if the guy wouldn't want to sell, finding a real GT would be a cool piece of history.

-Rusty
krk
Rusty,

Finding a '71 GT would be simply staggering, as history goes. I wish I was there.

Best of luck in the hunt!

kim.
Lawrence
Finding a '71 GT would be simply staggering, as history goes. I wish I was there.

I know. I'm going to print off the stuff from Stazak's page. 914/6 GT Page

Anyone know who's maintaining the database of 914/6 VINs these days?

-Rusty
Brad Roberts
I have close to 400 pics of very minute details on the GT cars. You let me know what you need. I have a friend building and documenting EVERYTHING on the GT's. Stazaks site doesnt show crap compared to this... even Jon Lowes site pales in comparison with the pics I'm holding. The plan is to have a GT section on this site... when I have nothing to do this winter.

B
Brad Roberts
Oh.. FYI:

Most people who have a M471 car *think* they have a GT.

B
Lawrence
I know that aside from a cardex, it's near impossible to *really* tell. There were 400 M-471 kits sold to dealers. This guy doesn't seem the cardex-seeking type.

Any sure-fire signs to look for? A 908 engine would be a dead giveaway. :-)
Brad Roberts
Take the GT vin number list with you. It shows which ones are GT and also has a list for M471 cars and what color they where. I know of only 3 cars missing from the list..but I know where they are.

You have a big time 914 guy in Kansas. I forget his name, but he has/had a Silver M471 car and builds some nice 914's.

Look very carefully at how the flares where installed. Rarely do I see any of them installed the way the factory did them.

There where so many different things done to the GT's during the years. Its hard for me to pinpoint something that all of them shared that didnt "unbolt" off the cars. Things like the driver side seat rails in the GT.

Just take really good pics and send them to me or post them here.

Hurry back.

B
meursault
Uhhhh....

A 908 motor would be the eight cylinder, which would make that car the third 8 cylinder 914. Not likely. You're looking for the twin plug 906/910 engine there.
krk
Rusty (note I use your given name :-)

Brad's right. I'm nowhere near the resource this entire bbs is. Shooting digi pics and reporting back is almost certainly your strongest move. More eyes, etc.

It's also the case that the GT program was, by all accounts, a little varied on what "features" were standard, which makes for hard identification.

I still wish I was there. I've toyingly shopped for a GT. They are not common. This is damn exciting. Brad's right again -- hurry back!

kim.
ss6
Brad, you mentioned the factory flare installation is different from the way most people do it; in what way(s)?
Brad Roberts
Very few body shops put forth the effort to make the flares flow together with the body as nicely as the factory did. If you close your eyes and run your hand up INSIDE a GT flared car done by Porsche... the body feels like it was stamped with the flares in place. They are that smooth.

I touched my first M471 car back in 1986 in a friends garage. I vividly recall reaching into that fenderwell to see if the flares where steel or fiberglass... when I felt they where steel.. I kept going with my hand and could not beleive how smooth the transition was from the stock body to the flare. I still wasnt convinced... then I found the steel rear valance that came out to meet the GT flares. At this point I was almost convinced my friend wasnt lying to me.. but the car was Black and I didnt beleive they sold any Black M471 cars.

Anyway.. I could go on and on about this car. It kinda makes me sick to my stomach. I couldnt afford the car when it came up for sale about 6 years ago. Then I saw a write up on it in Panorama about 2 years ago. I found out I lost out to Brumos Porsche. It was real and had 18k miles on it. Right now I have the chance to put another M471 car back on the street and this one has 14k miles on it and still sits on the original tires !! The VIN number shows it to be on the GT list... but it was never fully converted. It does have the 908 brakes on it with adjustable Koni's.

B
GWN7
The Stazak list only shows 51 serial numbers. There were 400 dealer kits available so there should be another 349 GT cars out there (if all the kits were put on cars). And the list shows 15 of the 50 factory cars built. So in total there should be 384 GT cars unaccounted for.
Brad Roberts
We dont actually look at it that way. Basically the original 51 2 or 3 are true GT cars. Some of those 400 parts sold where spares for most of the race teams. The factory pulled 6 chassis' from the production line and designated them "GT" or M471.

B
GWN7
So the dealer built cars aren't considered GT cars? Is it only the factory ones that are?
Brad Roberts
In the eyes of a collector or person who does restorations.... the factory built cars are the ones to have. Its not that the others are not considered GT's (several where built by Art Bunker out of Kansas) but these are documented with Porsche.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.