Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doors cannot be opened from outside of car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesporsche1
The doors on my 914 are closed and the windows are up. The nylon outer door handle lock inserts are broken and the doors cannot be opened from the outside. Does anyone have any ideas how I may get a door opened so that I can repair the door handle without breaking a window? I know from past experience that the doors can be opened from inside the car. confused24.gif
r_towle
two coat hangers twisted together.
Put a loop on the end.
You are aiming for the opposite side inner door handle.
It takes time, but it can be done.
Go in via the top back corner of the window, up high.

Rich
davesporsche1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 18 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Put a loop on the end.

Rich

Thanks Rich. I'll give it a try. smile.gif
Mikey914
Been there done that.
Can be done, just a pain.
Jeffs9146
I have also had some luck with releasing the rear roof latches with a coat hanger! Then you can pick up the back of the roof and slide something long in (broom handle?) and release the front ones!
avidfanjpl
Done both the rear targa locks and the door locks. With the right steel 5 foot long rod with a hook on it, the door is easier.

Once you get the targa locks off, you still have a better time going for the door.

Front targa locks are impossible.

I got the driver door lock tab in 1 minute not so long ago.

John
KELTY360
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 18 2011, 11:01 AM) *

Put a loop on the end.

Rich

agree.gif

I had to do this at the 1st IROC run at Riverside Raceway (R.I.P) with my brand new '73 1.7. Because the race was run with identical 911 RSRs the lot was filled with Porsche owners and everybody who passed by while I was working the coat hangers would try their keys in the lock. I finally got it open with the hangers but it took a lot of patience.
andys
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 18 2011, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif

I had to do this at the 1st IROC run at Riverside Raceway (R.I.P) with my brand new '73 1.7. Because the race was run with identical 911 RSRs the lot was filled with Porsche owners and everybody who passed by while I was working the coat hangers would try their keys in the lock. I finally got it open with the hangers but it took a lot of patience.

I too was at the first IROC at RIR; that was in '73 huh? What was the feature race? CanAm maybe? Lot's of fond memories of that place!

Andys
URY914
Take a sawzall and cut a hole in the roof. sawzall-smiley.gif
davesporsche1
thanks everyone! I was able to get in with some flat bar with a wire hook on the end. I was able to get the doors open without any damage. Eckler's sent the needed parts quickly and I was able to do the whole job, start to finish, including breaking into the car very quickly. As easy as it was to break into the 914, I'll be installing and alarm and LoJack before too many miles back on the road. biggrin.gif

Thanks guys
KELTY360
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 18 2011, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Jul 18 2011, 02:01 PM) *

agree.gif

I too was at the first IROC at RIR; that was in '73 huh? What was the feature race? CanAm maybe? Lot's of fond memories of that place!

Andys

Yes, CanAm was the feature. Mark Donohue dominated the IROC and then dominated with the Sunoco 917/30 in the CanAm race.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.