Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We're Painted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andys
Painted the car finally - I took two days to do the sealer, base, and clear (It took me nearly 5 hours just to mask and skirt, as I put the car on jack stands). Color is GT Silber. Used (very) $$$ PPG.

Scottyb, you were right about the amount of base. I used just under than 2 quarts for three coats (the cabin, engine bay, and inside both trunks were already done).

PPG does not recommend reducing the clear, but every painter I talked to said to reduce it. Guy that owned the booth said to reduce the hell out of it, and as it turns out, that worked out really well.

I started the initial color sanding with 1000 grit to knock it down before the clear got too hard. Managed to get about 3 1/2 corners of the car complete; then on to the doors, trunks, lid, and targa. I'll do final sanding and buffing after assembly (cause you never know what oops might happen!).

Andys

AZ914
NICE!!!
Randal
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 18 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Painted the car finally - I took two days to do the sealer, base, and clear (It took me nearly 5 hours just to mask and skirt, as I put the car on jack stands). Color is GT Silber. Used (very) $$$ PPG.

Scottyb, you were right about the amount of base. I used just under than 2 quarts for three coats (the cabin, engine bay, and inside both trunks were already done).

PPG does not recommend reducing the clear, but every painter I talked to said to reduce it. Guy that owned the booth said to reduce the hell out of it, and as it turns out, that worked out really well.

I started the initial color sanding with 1000 grit to knock it down before the clear got too hard. Managed to get about 3 1/2 corners of the car complete; then on to the doors, trunks, lid, and targa. I'll do final sanding and buffing after assembly (cause you never know what oops might happen!).

Andys

That is pretty!
TurboWalt
Looking good!
Cairo94507
I am so looking forward to some year being able to post a picture of my chassis all nice and painted. Your car looks terrific; excellent color.
914Mels
QUOTE(andys @ Jul 18 2011, 02:15 PM) *

Andys

Very clean looking. Is that a radiator up front or do you just have a really big A/C condenser?
saigon71
Great looking paint job!

How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

jim dorociak
so what are your plans for tires and wheels? Are those on the car just rollers? 17"? I could build you a set of 18" wheels with the correct offsets. jdorociak@gmail.com
Jim
andys
QUOTE(914Mels @ Jul 18 2011, 07:16 PM) *

Very clean looking. Is that a radiator up front or do you just have a really big A/C condenser?

Thanks. Radiator for the V8 is in front, and yes, there's an AC condensor up there too.

Andys
Andyrew
Looks great! Thats a hard color to get right!
andys
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 18 2011, 07:20 PM) *

Great looking paint job!

How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

Spray booth was $300.

Andys
Mueller
Very nice !!
BIGKAT_83
Looks great !

Can't wait to see it all back together.

Bob
matthepcat
Nice wheel combo. What size spacers are you running?

Matt
andys
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jul 19 2011, 12:28 PM) *

Nice wheel combo. What size spacers are you running?

Matt

I have custom trailing arms in the rear, so my off set is different than if they were stock. On the front, I have 2" spacers. Though the wheels fit the flare nicely, there are two problems. First, the tire (205-17) rubs the wheel well at full lock. I originally calculated the spacer should be 1 5/8". Since only 1 1/2" and 2" were available, I went with 2" (I didn't think it would rub, but I was wrong). The second problem I anticipate will be higher steering effort and kick-back due to the increased scrub radius.....Won't know for sure until I get it on the street or track.

Andys
jim dorociak
Andys - are not the guys running 7 x 16" fuchs still using a spacer to fill the wheel well? So the width is really not the issue as much as the offset of the wheel - this is a statement and a question. When I build for widebody 911 cars - turbo cars have built in spacer into the front hub that moves the wheel out approx 21mm. I build 8.5" front wheels using 6.5 inner and 1.75" outer. I could build with a 2.25 and a 5.5 and make an 8" but everyone seems to want the largest wheel front and rear they can get. I have a front wheel here that is 5.5 inner rim and 2.75" outer rim making a 8.5" wheel this offset if very close to the 4 7/8 of a fuchs wheel. I have been saving parts for a set of wheels for my not yet started 914 project car. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com
carr914
Andys, that looks very nice.

My flared roller is going into the booth in a few weeks and it will be getting a Colour Change to Silber

T.C.

the Before

Click to view attachment

My Goal ( a previous -6 I had) I will be going with Rota-Fox 17"s Powder Coated Diamond Blue

Click to view attachment

914.SBC
Wow, I really like the color and the rims...Nice Job@@@
scotty b
Nice job. first.gif FWIW I reduce the hell out of PPG too. Usually 15-20 percent, but then again I even reduce thin ass Nason too unsure.gif Might want to consider wet sanding and buffing the removable panels and body edges before assembly, It will make for a better job, Tape off all the edges when assembling to prevent the " oopses "
andys
QUOTE(jim dorociak @ Jul 19 2011, 04:33 PM) *

Andys - are not the guys running 7 x 16" fuchs still using a spacer to fill the wheel well? So the width is really not the issue as much as the offset of the wheel - this is a statement and a question. When I build for widebody 911 cars - turbo cars have built in spacer into the front hub that moves the wheel out approx 21mm. I build 8.5" front wheels using 6.5 inner and 1.75" outer. I could build with a 2.25 and a 5.5 and make an 8" but everyone seems to want the largest wheel front and rear they can get. I have a front wheel here that is 5.5 inner rim and 2.75" outer rim making a 8.5" wheel this offset if very close to the 4 7/8 of a fuchs wheel. I have been saving parts for a set of wheels for my not yet started 914 project car. Jim jdorociak@gmail.com

Jim,

I'm having a little trouble following you're post. My wheels are stock 993; 7.5" front, and 9.5" rear (IIRC). I don't remember the offsets, but I calculated my spacer dimensions for the rear based on wheel well fit (since there's barely enough room for the 255-17"s). On the front, I needed 1 5/8" spacers to put the wheel in the correct place (scrub radius wise), but as I mentioned earlier, I went with 2".

In an earlier post, I think you mentioned building a set of custom wheels. Though I intend on keeping what I have for now, what kind of custom wheels do you offer? I'm not a fan of large diameter wheels on a 914; 17" to me are already a bit large, and I don't personally like that Chip Foose wheel look on 70's vintage cars. 15" just look right to me (IMHO).

Andys
andys
I just re-read my post, and need to correct it.
"I needed 1 5/8" spacers to put the wheel in the correct place (scrub radius wise), but ................."
Rather than "scrub radius wise", it should read "back spacing wise"

Andys
jim dorociak
I have three different wheel centers available for a custom build. I only build 18" wheels. Many 911 widebody and 930 guys are moving to 18" wheels for tire selection. The earlier cars require completely different offsets than when I build for 964/964 Turbo and 993/TT cars. The earlier cars require all the inner and outer rims to change for the correct offset. I just have not seen a set of custom built 18" wheels on a 914 - I have seen late model offset 18" wheels, but those require large spacers to make them work, actually same is true if these late model wheels are fit on the earlier 911/930 cars. If you send me your email address I can send additional pictures. My files are just too large to post. This wheel is an OZ Racing wheel and the outer lip is 3.75" with clear anodizing on the rim just like the fuchs. The centers can be paint many different colors. Jim jdorociak@gmail.comClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.