Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rain tray removal...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Hi all...just a thought.
Would removing the rain tray help with cooling?
My car is never driven in rain.
Thanks,
Mike
76-914
I removed the trays in both of mine. To answer your question. IMHO, how could they not effect the car? But I live in SoCal. If I were in a rainy climate I might leave them in if using a lead acid battery.
MikeM
Thanks for that.
Did you notice any drop in operating temp.?
76-914
QUOTE(MikeM @ Jul 19 2011, 08:41 AM) *

Thanks for that.
Did you notice any drop in operating temp.?

Slightly.
AZ914
I removed mine (driving around the desert). It seemed to help some so if you are running warm, give it a try.
Drums66
......The cats say in (Arizona) just pop the engine lid open(Las vegas)
when too hot idea.gif
bye1.gif flag.gif devil.gif stones.gif tunez.gif rock_band.gif thumb3d.gif
balljoint
Removing your rain tray can be of assistance in reducing your hot start wait time, as well as fitting your too tall battery in without driving around with a wonky engine cover. Speaking as one of those people who have several perfect early rain trays stored away in secret locations I would be chagrined to learn that they were useless. Even in the desert they must serve some purpose? Keeps sandstorms at bay? Prevents the engine from flooding from a rain of sarcasm? I would be interested to hear if anyone has logged engine bay temperatures or oil temperatures with and without the rain tray.
reharvey
I had the rain tray off my 74 2.0 and it made a noticable difference. The temp gauge has no numbers of course but over all I feel the it ran cooler. Ray
shoguneagle
Run without rain tray all year round; sixer will not let the rain tray installation; any rain is taken care of two ways - driving rain does not get into the engine compartment and when stopped during rain out cones the "umbrella cover" sold by Perry Keihl.

Hell, I use the "umbrella cover" during the sunny days to keep the car cool from sun heat.

Engine compartment has entire surface screened to let air into the compartment and also have a couple of fans installed to pull engine into the top of the engine.

Everything is "cool" rain or shine.

Steve Hurt
MikeM
Thanks for the responses everyone.
I'll remove it and see if I run any cooler.
Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.