Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: X-Country 914 Trip
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfulcher
Hey gang, it's been a while since I last posted about the potential X-Country burn in my '72 914 and I thought I'd share an update.

We will be leaving Cape Cod on Friday the 29th and heading to VT for the weekend before officially springing off our 8 - 10 day trip to San Francisco. The route is basically set: from the Northeast Kingdom of VT we'll head through Montreal, Toronto to Chicago, from there, we'll head to Fargo, ND (anybody up that way we can hang with?) before making our way to Billings and then Yellowstone.

After Yellowstone, we're off the interstate and onto the "blue highways" all the way to Portland, OR before heading out to the coastal highway for the stunning final stretch to San Francisco.

Total estimated miles are in the 4300 - 4800 range over the course of about 8 to 10 days as we see fit.

I will be recording the ENTIRE drive with a mounted GoPro HD camera and will compress it for time upon our return and certainly share with you the resulting video!

Also, frequent real-time updates will be posted to my blog, www.gregandpetra.com

I'd love to connect with any 914ers out there in the vastness, but we don't have the luxury of lots of extra time and side-trips off our basic route.

It'll be nice to have my car out here at long last, on the roads it was built for!

cheers,
-greg

rallysport70
Sounds like a blast! Safe travels.... driving.gif
KELTY360
I'm going to assume you'll head from Billings through Red Lodge and over the Beartooth Scenic Highway into Yellowstone. I did that route 3 years ago in my '74 2.0 and it was a BLAST!!!

Here's a little tease of the route:

Climbing the Beartooth
Click to view attachment

Lots of elevation gain
Click to view attachment

I think the pass is 11,700 ft. Hope you've got FI.
Click to view attachment

Heading down towards Yellowstone
Click to view attachment

I know it's a little out of the way, but if you can fit it in, the Chief Joseph Scenic Highway is a spectacular 914 drive. It links to the Beartooth Hwy and takes you into Cody where you can enter Yellowstone from the east. Well worth the extra mileage.

Enjoy.
Drums66
.......Good trip...B-safe shades.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.