Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the best Car Cover to use?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woodside914
Need help to identify what is the best Brand and/or Type of Car Cover for my '71 914.

She currently resides in my driveway in Northern Calif.....can't use the garage because the boat takes up too much room....lol

What's the best car cover to buy these days - made for the 914 that 'breathes', yet is water/dew repellant, and won't leave all that dusty gunk behind on the paint?

Thanks for any good suggestions.
Ken

Here she is for grins

Click to view attachment
flipb
When I researched this a couple years ago, it seemed the best option was Stormproof from Coverking.

They make a custom-fit one for the 914 - although you have to fold in your mirrors for it to fit well. At the time I bought it, autopartswarehouse.com had the best prices.

Occasionally, I've had it on my car in rain and found that the car still got wet underneath, but certainly not soaked.

Drums66
....Porsche script cover with........inlet's for mirrors idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
john rogers
My 914 sat in the driveway for about 12 years when not racing and I used a pair of covers. The inner one was expensive and was "breathable" in that it kept rain out but allowed moisture to evaporate from inside. Since the CA smog and sun will destroy a cover in 3 to 3 years I used a cheap cover over that to absorb the sun's rays and UV stuff. It lasted a maximum of 3 years and I would replace it at a lot lower price than the good one which lasted the whole time.
mburkhart
I had a fitted cover from CoverCraft (the $300 one) and it was pretty nice. I had to leave my car outside for a couple of winters (in Chicago), and when I uncovered the car in the spring it was still clean and dry. I used the cable and lock to keep the cover secured. The cover only lasted for a few years though, and after a while it became brittle and the wind tore it to shreds.

After that I bought a cheap non-fitted cover from AutoZone to cover the car in the garage, but I'm not happy with it because it's way to big for the teener and drags on the garage floor.

I've heard others here (edit - like john rogers!) suggest getting a good cover and covering that with a cheap second cover to protect it. I would probably do that if I had to leave my car outside again for any length of time.
pdlightning
Historically, I have had the best luck with California Car Covers. The fit is excellent and they have different models to match the protection you need.

It only cost a few more dollars to go first class!
r_towle
I am not a fan of car covers when left outside in the wind.
The covers can and do scratch the paint as the wind ruffles them around...
I use one inside to keep the dust off, but I have no wind.
If it was me, I would use the perry keihl umbrella cover just over the roof section and that solves the real water problem yet does not risk damage to the paint.

Gorgeous car BTW.

Rich
Woodside914
Thank you guys for all the input.

For the past few years I had been using the CoverKing "Coverbond 4 Gray" style cover which fit well, yet the last cover I had, which was only about 1 year old, kept leaving this ugly gray debris & dirty dust on the paint....maybe it was just from a bad batch of material, but I didn't expect it to 'shed' so quickly.

Then, I tried washing it at the local laundromat to clean it up....That was a mistake, it started to flake & crack so I threw the freakin' thing away...

Anyway, sounds like there are some good sources out there, I'll check them out.

-Ken
dflesburg
I like the ones I get at walmart for $35
quadracerx
I have used California Car Covers exclusively on about 6 different cars, custom fit...very nice and several different types dependemt on use...they are great people and helpful....

Steve
moparrob
Move the boat and give her the love she deserves...
GeorgeRud
agree.gif

Boats are supposed to be wet! Gelcoated fiberglass will stand up to the outside environs better than the Porsche's paint.

Now, if the boat is a restored Chris-Craft runabout (or similar), I'd build a larger garage or put in a four post lift.
Woodside914
Now, if the boat is a restored Chris-Craft runabout (or similar), I'd build a larger garage or put in a four post lift.

Well, actually she is a gorgeous 1958 Chris-Craft Cavalier, straight 6 cyl. 110 HP with 19' trailer....it really takes up most of the garage....but, I've considered the 4-post lift, too.

decisions, decisions.....

Click to view attachment

Drums66
....Cool pic shades.gif
bye1.gif
eric9144
Get a lift and sleep better at night...the 914 and the boat are AMAZING !! drooley.gif

Nice toys! wub.gif
Chris Pincetich
tough call: nice 914 vs. nice and older boat
biggrin.gif
My coverking stormproof 914 version fits like a glove, but after rain the car is "wet" underneath likely from condensation

I also follow advice above and cover the expensive cover with a cheap cover. The cheap cover was the first I bought, used in the summer to catch droppings from the trees and birds, always leaves weird flaky white powder on the car like described above. Lame

What REALLY works to keep the 914 dry outside is my silver tarp. YUP, the heavy-duty tarp that you find at all hardware stores. I think it is the 8' x 14' that fits super good using bungees under the wheel wells to hold it down.

The "Perfect Combo" is nice coverking on the 914, silver tarp on top of that, and then cheap cover on top of that. I can usually "peel it off" intact! This combo kept her dry and dust free through several storms this winter. I learned the "hard way" that over-kill is needed when covering my sieve-like 914.

I love my new place in Point Reyes Station, but I miss my old garage!!
beerchug.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 19 2011, 10:54 AM) *

I am not a fan of car covers when left outside in the wind.
The covers can and do scratch the paint as the wind ruffles them around...
I use one inside to keep the dust off, but I have no wind.
If it was me, I would use the perry keihl umbrella cover just over the roof section and that solves the real water problem yet does not risk damage to the paint.

Gorgeous car BTW.

Rich

.......Some days better to use none!! idea.gif (cheap way to sand your carLOL)
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
Woodside914
The "Perfect Combo" is nice coverking on the 914, silver tarp on top of that, and then cheap cover on top of that.

That does sound like a good idea!

For the short term, I may go this route for now - she's not a daily driver by any means, though these warm & sunny days are great for an occasional top-down cruise to work or the store....

BTW - thanks for the grins on the 'toys' - I've had this 914 for 30 years now, since August 1981. The '58 Chris-Craft was my dear old dads' toy that he bought for us back in 1966 for about $1500 complete! When dad passed away back in 2002, my sisters didn't want the boat, so I quickly raised my hand.....

Cheers,
Ken
matthepcat
You live in Woodside, you can afford to rent a shop space or add an addition to your garage.
smile.gif

Just jealous that I can't afford to live there.
campbellcj
QUOTE(Woodside914 @ Jul 19 2011, 11:19 AM) *

For the past few years I had been using the CoverKing "Coverbond 4 Gray" style cover which fit well, yet the last cover I had, which was only about 1 year old, kept leaving this ugly gray debris & dirty dust on the paint....maybe it was just from a bad batch of material, but I didn't expect it to 'shed' so quickly.

I have the same issue, although mine is quite a few years old. Even after washing, it still sheds the weird dust. I only use the cover a few times a year when leaving my car at the track overnight for multi-day events but this one is ready for the trash can. I appreciate the info here as well...
Tom_T
IMHO - move the boat to the driveway! It's made for water anyway & you can put a cover on it! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.